PDA

View Full Version : AOD problems

QuarterHorse
05-03-08, 05:21 PM
I just bought a 1988 LX with a 2.3 and an aod. The previous owner put a salvage yard tanny in it and didnt like the way it worked so he started pulling it back out, then gave up. I put everything back together and road tested the car. It definately has issues. The problems is that the tranny acts like its in overdrive when taking off and it sometimes stalls the engine. I called a trusted tranny shop and he said with the aod throttle valve pressure is critical. I have tried all ways of adjusting it but no change. I'm starting to think that maybe some of the original linkage was not reinstalled on the tranny and that may be why I can't get any adjustments to make a difference. What I really need is another Fox Body to look at thats identical to mine so I can see if anything was done wrong on the install. So if anyone out there has a 1988 or so LX with the 2.3L 4 cylinder and the AOD transmission, I would greatly appreciate looking at the car so I can see whats wrong with mine. At just $1000.00 for this car...I couldnt go wrong...it looks sweet for 100,000 miles. Thanks for any help I can get.

QuarterHorse
05-03-08, 06:02 PM
Just for kicks I looked at the tranny again and found an adjustable modulator valve on that was closed completely off. I opened it up and test drove the car again. It worked perfect!!!...but as luck would have it...once it warmed up a bit it went right back to acting up. So if anyone has any wild ass guesses...

stangboy86
05-04-08, 03:36 PM
you'd probably have better luck asking members on www.corral.net about this.