PDA

View Full Version : Fox emissions help!

88BlownGT
06-27-08, 06:22 PM
Hey guys need some well needed guidance here, I failed my tailpipe emission quite horribly last August and been slowly working on it until now with work and college in the way. The Hydrocarbons were crazy, to pass in Kent county you need 220 parts per million and at idle mine was 1199 and at high it was 2075 PPM. So let me give you the checklist of things replaced/checked and let me know what you guys think. :icon_question:

Air filter
Spark plugs
EGR Valve, solenoid, sensor
ECT sensor
ACT sensor
O2 sensors
Fuel, AC relays
Throttle body, EGR and EGR spacer gaskets replaced (Fel Pro)
Throttle body cleaned out with brake cleaner
TAB and TAD solenoids
14-15* timing
93 in the tank

Next thing I was thinking was buying an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and maybe even replacing the injectors with some OEM 19 pounders.

93mustank
06-27-08, 07:46 PM
First of all put your timing back to 10 degrees and put 87 octane with a little rubbing alcohol .

88BlownGT
06-27-08, 08:54 PM
When I had it that low I was having backfiring issues upstairs near the throttle body so I increased it to stop it. But I guess once the tank is near empty I'll just put 87 back into it.

93mustank
06-27-08, 11:16 PM
Well it will be hard to pass without the timing back at 10 degrees.....need to fix the back firing

88BlownGT
06-28-08, 01:48 AM
And I don't know what to do about that or my original post, hence my post for help.

Jacostang
06-28-08, 04:52 PM
Looks like is failing badly, how are your cats?? Are you running w/cats? For it to be running that way there has to be something going on. I know that I used to wait until my tank was less than a 1/4 tank and puit 2 bottles of rubbing alcohol in there run the succer until it got hot on the freeway to blow all the crap out and it did great...

88BlownGT
06-28-08, 07:48 PM
I appreciate that you guys are trying to help me pass alot, but I'm trying to actually solve the problem. Its surging heavily at idle and I know it running so rich is gonna make the gas mileage much worse. Also I took a rubber mallet to the cats and they sounded fine, nothing loose but I guess thats not the best inspection. Today I took a handheld scanner to ECU and it threw these codes at me. 42 and 21 haven't changed since I first hooked up the scanner prior to my overhaul of the emissions parts. Let me know what you guys think.

23 TPS out of range
42 EGO always rich
92 Left EGO sensor rich
21 coolant temp ECT out of range

Jacostang
06-29-08, 02:04 AM
Did you take of the TPS? If it is in the wrong place or malfuntioning this could be one of your problems, thay are not expensive at all and if its surging this could be your problem. If you replace make sure to dis connect the battery for a few and reset the Cpu. Do you have any mods?

Torchmach
06-29-08, 10:00 AM
How many miles are on the motor? It sounds like the same problem I have getting my 88' GT thru emissions. It has 226,000 miles without a rebuild, and burns a quart of oil every 1,500.

If you haven't yet, back the timing down to 9-10 degrees, firing closer to TDC will cut down on the amount of oil burnt in combustion. Your Cats are probably plugged up too (A muffler shop can check them at no/ minimal cost). Definitely change your injectors back to the stock 19 lb. It doesn't sound like you have change the cam, and richer injectors arn't going to do much for increased power.

Good luck! It can be a real PIA to get older Cars through emissions.

88BlownGT
06-29-08, 10:54 AM
I swapped out the TPS for a new one and I've heard about the battery disconnect so I'll probably do that. Only mods I've done to the car is an MSD Blaster Coil and flowmaster mufflers from the previous owner. The adjustable fuel pressure regulator is on its way and maybe the 19 pounders soon.

Jacostang
06-29-08, 11:19 AM
The only thing with the cats that if they were plugged up the car would run like crap but it just might be.. That they are not doing the job... Depending on how many miles are on her you may need or have to change the injectors for sure. My 87 was running very rough and I spent the $225 for a brand new set and it runs like new!!

88BlownGT
06-29-08, 11:31 AM
I really appreciate it Jaco, looks like new injectors are comin next paycheck! :laughing:

QuarterHorse
06-29-08, 12:21 PM
Do what I did with both of my 88 Stangs. Insure them as classic cars and file that with DMV....no more emissions. If you need to know how it's done send me a pm and I'll explain it.

QuarterHorse
06-29-08, 12:24 PM
Wait...are you in Arizona???...lol

Jacostang
06-29-08, 03:24 PM
You have to find a good classsic car Ins.company and several things you must have.. Do you have "Classic Emissions exempt law in Deleware?
Second car that is a daily driver.. Some have mileage limitations and I know Grundy states that the car cannot be a "grocery getter" I admit I got fed up with emissions and registered all my foxes in Pennsylvania.. No emissions Then Arizona passed the law after I did all that work and said F**k it they still are not getting my money for these cars. But I do have Grundy Classic car Insurance on every car except my 06. It saved me about $1500 a year on insurance. Total for a year on 79 Pace car, 87 Gt Vert, 89 GT Hb and 79 Coupe all insured for $10,000 cost me $398.00 a year total.

1966PonyGirl
06-29-08, 03:50 PM
Hey jaco, does hagerty have limited miles? my '66 is my everyday driver/grocery getter) and i was starting to research for new insurance.

sorry for getting off topic, but i was curious :)

Jacostang
06-29-08, 04:54 PM
I think Hagerty does but you can check out thier web site and see, Hea****, Grundy and we are just now getting some idea of Farm Bureau classic car insurance and the rep will be at our clubs next meeting to chat with everyone!!

Torchmach
06-29-08, 10:37 PM
Hey jaco, does hagerty have limited miles? my '66 is my everyday driver/grocery getter) and i was starting to research for new insurance.

sorry for getting off topic, but i was curious :)

If you are a member of AAA definately check in with them for Auto Insurance. I am saving 20% compared to other Insurance Companys. I have been with AAA since 93' other Insurance Companys call me up to give me quotes, havn't been able to come close. If you have two cars/one driver, they are able to insure one as your daily driver, and the second as a "Recreational Vehicle" (Well my Mach is a lot of fun to drive!), saving you some more. There are a lot of other reasons to join AAA too, great Customer service, discounts on Hotel Rooms, maps.

88BlownGT
06-30-08, 12:33 AM
I can't go for the classic car insurance, I have to be 26 and have a garage which I don't have either. But I disconnected the battery and let it sit for a while to let the ECU dump. Came back on and the Coolant temp code was gone, the manual with the scanner explains how to calibrate the TPS so I'll do that as well. And I looked into the rich codes some more and code 92 is from fuel pressure being to high, so good thing my kirban adjustable is on the way.

ITLRUN
06-30-08, 10:50 AM
First thing I would take care of, is the codes. When you have your codes clear, than scan it to make sure everything is good. I read, where Dave mentioned Delaware, is that where your from? One thing I would definetly do is make sure you have cats on your car. Hell, it's cheap insurance to get yourself a set of free-flowing cats, I think Basani still sells their bullit shaped cats for around $100.00. After you have everything taken care of, go to your local parts store and get a bottle of guaranteed to pass, ( CRC ) puts it out. I've heard it works pretty good, and I think ( CRC ) guarantees it to work or your money back. You should do fine after that. And I just love these guys, that feel the need to give you the run down on what mods they've done to their car, their best ET, and sixty foot times every time they post a reply to somebody's problem. Stay on TOPIC, by giving him a list of your mods isn't going to help solve his problem. That's what these forums are for, I'm sure if he wanted a list of your mods he would ask for them. If I gave a list of mods, every time I posted a reply to try and help some one with their problem, I would have to post two replys just for the room to list all the parts. Come on guys, try to stay on topic, Mike D. ( ITLRUN ). Oh yeah, as for the rubbing alcohol, don't do it unless you want to rot out you rubber fuel lines, Mike.

88BlownGT
06-30-08, 11:33 PM
Well I appreciate all the help, let me know if you guys think of anything else, I'll update as I run through the suggestions that you guys offered.

1966PonyGirl
07-01-08, 09:33 AM
thanks jaco and torch!

88BlownGT
07-08-08, 09:51 PM
Hell yeah! I installed the adjustable regulator and its running great. Gauge only reads 22-24 PSI. We tried upping it and it doesn't seem to go anywhere. Besides that we also calibrated the TPS and its working great. So those two codes are gone. Theres just one last code and I don't know what to do about it. It says as follows:

44 Thermactor air system inoperative

Wtf is this?:nono: I checked all of the vacuum lines and replaced the ones that were cracked or broken. It hasn't thrown this code up until now. Any thoughts?

ITLRUN
07-09-08, 07:41 AM
Hey Carl; If you take care of that problem, and you computer spits out another code at you buy yourself a new computer. It sounds to me, every time you fix a problem code your computer spits out another that wasn't there before. I've seen that happen too many times, you fix the problem than another code appears that wasn't there before. You say your car is running fine, but now you have another code that you didn't have before. Disconnect your battery, and leave your ground cable off for about 5 minutes just to make sure your codes clear. Now take the car for a drive, 15 - 20 minutes should do it. After you do that, give me a call and tell me what happens. If no codes come back, you should be alright. If the code comes back, and it's the same one than take care of the problem. If you have to fix it, and after driving for a while if your car spits out another code, replace your computer. Remember what I told you last night when you called me, Mike. Carl, just replace your computer or you'll be like a dog chasing his tail. Don't forget to give them your old one, because the core charge is more than the computer. Run the car for about one to two hundred miles, to give it time to learn everything. It should run fine, while it's learning than call me and let me know how it is, Mike. NO MODS TO LIST!!!!!!!

88BlownGT
07-09-08, 03:32 PM
Ok I'll do that, and the names KYLE. :laughing:

Let me know if you guys think of anything even if the computer is fine and theres something actually wrong.

Jacostang
07-09-08, 03:39 PM
Code 44 is the air pump system...

88BlownGT
07-09-08, 06:56 PM
Yeah Jaco I know this. I don't know what to tinker with. The TAB and TAD solenoids were replaced. Should the air bypass valve be touched?

ITLRUN
07-09-08, 09:02 PM
Carl; Disconnect the air bypass valve from behind the pump. Than start your engine, put your finger up to the elbow on top of the pump to see if you feel any air coming from the pump. Don't expect to feel a lot of air coming from the pump, it only pumps out 2.5 - 5 psi. I still think it's your computer, go back and check the original codes, than look at the ones you've had since, Mike D.