PDA

View Full Version : broken bolt in the block....

ttocs
07-10-08, 05:40 PM
in the process of replacing my gt intake with a cobra a bolt broke in the block that holds the lower in place. If it was one in the middle I would be less concerned but this is one of the ones that is on the end(front drivers side) and I am sure it will leak with out it....... What do I do?

DVSRICK
07-10-08, 05:53 PM
Thats happened to me before but I was able to use an EZ Out ( a drill bit that you drill into the bolt that threads the bolt out)

ttocs
07-10-08, 05:55 PM
I tried one of them and it didn't do anything. I tried drilling a small hole in the bolt to help it and it didn't do anything...

azrobw
07-10-08, 06:43 PM
I'd try a larger ez out and if that doesn't work I'd say you need to continue to drill it out and use a tap and die to rethread. Good luck!!

santa_rosa_lt1
07-10-08, 07:27 PM
remeber that its a right hand drill bit

93mustank
07-10-08, 07:45 PM
Same thing happened to me.....ez out then a good ol' heely coil

ttocs
07-10-08, 09:00 PM
There were 2 different types of back-out kits and I got the cheaper one since it looked like it would do less damage to the bolt. I will get the more expensive one tomorrow and try it. I don't know if I can tap it since from what I understand this bolt hole terminates in part of the coolent passage. This bolt needed RTV on it and probably just corroded from the time in the coolant(14 yrs). If I drill and tap that will leave the broken pieces in the coolant passage and I imagine that will cause problems.

santa_rosa_lt1
07-10-08, 11:53 PM
get something like this drill bits and flutes http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?item_ID=10417&group_ID=1254

ttocs
07-10-08, 11:56 PM
get something like this drill bits and flutes http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?item_ID=10417&group_ID=1254

I used something similar and it didn't do anything.

If I did need to drill and tap it could I flush the coolant passage to get rid of the scrap pieces? It is the #6 bolt in the lower intake manifold if that helps any......

99WhiteGT
07-11-08, 01:37 AM
Last time this happened to me, (depending on how big the bolt is), i just spot welded a smaller nut onto it and then turned the nut and the bolt turns out. Dont know if you have a welder or if the bolts even big enough.

ttocs
07-11-08, 01:12 PM
I really don't know what to do with this. It looks like the bolt has become part of the block. like there was not even a bolt there to begin with?

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/7/web/2395000-2395999/2395420_100.jpg

isn't gonna be a pain to drill and tap it?

Sqrlnts
07-11-08, 01:25 PM
ttocs,
Is the actual bolt recessed into the head or is it sticking up slightly? If its sticking up slightly you have some options.

One is try and get a pair of vice grips on it an start working it back and forth while dousing it with a lubricant.

Second is try to grind the top flat so you have a good starting point for the drill bit. Take your time and use a centering punch to start the bit EXACTLY in the center. Start with a small bit and slowly work your way bigger.

Third as 99White said, is to have someone tack a nut to the bolt then slowly try and work it back and forth until it releases. Side note, if you have a friend with a tig they can actually build (weld) the bolt back up to the point where you can then attach a nut and work it out. The TIG won't stick to the cast metal just to the steel bolt.

IF the bolt is broken off recessed into the head, you just get to start with what it left you. Again, try and use a small ass drill bit to start off, just don't break it or the easy out off in the bolt!!! If you prefer you can just continue to step the drill bits larger and larger until the bolt is merely threads, which you can then grab and pry out with needle nose and picks.

I would start by covering all your passages with tape right now. You don't want to make things worse by sending shards into your heads or lifter valley.

Best of luck.

ttocs
07-11-08, 04:25 PM
it doesn't even look like there is a bolt in the block now. There is a small rusted nub that is just barely above the top of the block but not enough to get a grip of it, looks like it needs to be drilled. From what was explained to me the hole terminates in the coolant passage so when I drill and tap it the hole the metal shards will end up in the passage.

I am not too worried about drilling it straight as I can use the hole in the upper intake to guide me. I have already got a hole in the center with a center punch and a small drill bit. In reality I am scared to death, this was the first time I have ever taken the motor apart and now I am afraid of ruining it with something small like this. If anyone has any experience that they could help out with I would really appreciate it...

ITLRUN
07-11-08, 07:00 PM
What about those bits you see on TV, one end drills it in bevelled hole V shaped, and the other end works like an easy-out. They do stripped screw heads, bolts, I think the set comes in four pieces. Or, have a buddy put a set of vice-grips on the bolt, and hit it with a shot of N.O.S. it should freeze the bolt just enough to shrink it, than ease it out. You can also use, propane that might work better. Also make sure your wearing gloves, if using propane it gets extremely cold. It might work better than NOS, and what ever you do DON'T USE HEELY COILS. I've seen too many come loose, than your back to square one all over again. Could end up costing you more in the long run, just something to think about, Mike.

ttocs
07-12-08, 10:56 AM
I looked at those but they said they were only good for stripped screws. It didn't look like it would do much on a frozen bolt.

I am pretty sure I will have to drill and tap it. SInce this all got started by simply changing an intake I do not have much faith in myself doing this right......

ITLRUN
07-12-08, 12:50 PM
I looked at those but they said they were only good for stripped screws. It didn't look like it would do much on a frozen bolt.

I am pretty sure I will have to drill and tap it. SInce this all got started by simply changing an intake I do not have much faith in myself doing this right......
Number one; How much of the bolt is exposed? Do you have enough, to grab it with a pair of vice-grips? If so, take a good penitrating oil, spray it and let it soak in for about 24 hours. If you have access, to propane crack the bottle open right on the bolt. This should freeze the bolt, allowing it to shrink it enough to crack it loose. It's kind of like, taking a torch to a nut that's froze up on a bolt. When you apply the heat to the nut it expands, therefore allowing you to break it loose and remove it. I wouldn't advise taking a torch to the block, right where the bolt is, because the intake is made out of aluminum and if it gets to hot, you might just as well buy a new one. When aluminum gets to hot, it either warps or melts. Another thing, is this intake a stock intake? If the propane doesn't work, you could check Ebay or craigslist for another lower intake sometimes you luck-out. Good luck, Mike.