PDA

View Full Version : my alternator saga continues

ttocs
08-07-08, 10:27 AM
I sometimes think that I am put here only to prove murphys law at least one time a day and this is NO exception. Two months ago my alternator went out, a simple enough repair right? I took it out and had it rebuilt and upgraded to 200 amps, can't remember how much that cost it has been so long now. While I had it out, I started thinking that it would not be a much more work to take off the intake to replace it with my freshly painted and ported cobra intake, as well as a bigger TB and maf to really make her purr. Some how I knew it would not be that simple, and as I cracked the first bolt to the upper I actually thought to myself,"The momstang has been a great and reliable car since mom bought her 14 yrs ago, so much for that". Everything was going well until I started to bolt up the lower intake and noticed that the #5 bolt in the tightening sequence(first bolt at the front of the block) was broken. It didn't even look like a bolt, just a rusty nub that was barely above the block. It must have rusted/frozen in place and then broke off. There was not enough space to weld a nut to the top, so I went out and bought some back-out bits. I now have tried 2 different systems that were recommended, and have managed to drill a hole in the bolt, and tried both systems($90 worth hardly used if anyone wants them) but that thing has not even budged. I have no idea what to do at this point, I don't have the experience to drill/tap it myself so I guess I need to know if anyone knows of any local shops or places that can do it? It would be better if it were on the east side since I will have to have it towed.

In reality I will probably have to shut the hood and put a cover on her as I don't have the cash to do it right now and I am not sure if I will have a job a little more then a month from now. Anyone have any idea what this might cost?

93mustank
08-07-08, 12:28 PM
Is the lower intake already off?

ttocs
08-07-08, 01:57 PM
the lower is off now, and the rust nub that use to be a bolt is just barely above the block. I drilled a hole in it when I tried the back-out bits but it has not budged at all.

93mustank
08-07-08, 02:12 PM
Had this same problem...took me three days to fix it...I broke off easy out inside the bolt. If you can heat it up...do it

Sqrlnts
08-07-08, 02:40 PM
ttocs, I am in Chandler, bought your Blackmagic fan from you. I have Sunday off and could come over and try and help you out. Let me know.
John

ttocs
08-07-08, 04:04 PM
I will take any help that I can get and thank you for it..... I was in over my head on the intake replacement, if this had not happened I am sure it would have gone fine but I am lost now.

Did you get everything running on your car now?

Sqrlnts
08-07-08, 05:53 PM
Yup, car is running. Just missing the AC work, exhaust leaks abound, and need to adjust the timing a bit. I'll bring it over and you can have a look at it. I will PM you my number.

ttocs
08-07-08, 06:02 PM
thanks again.