PDA

View Full Version : tire pressure monitor problems

wraith
08-14-08, 01:56 PM
i just installed shelby gt500 rims and tires, the tpm is reading a fault on the intrument panel, is there a way to fix this other than hitting reset everytime i get in the car lol thx all for any help in this area , btw love the rims and got a wicked deal on em :pinkthumb:

blownC6Z
08-15-08, 05:52 PM
I don't mean to ask dumb questions, but did you swap the sensors from the wheels you took off to the new wheels? If you don't have tpms in the new wheels then you will get the fault. There are those that have built PVC tubes to hold the tpms and then pressurized them. This does work, I did it to my sons car, but if you drive more than about 40 miles at a time you'll still get the fault anyway. The only real fix is to put the sensors in your new wheels.

wraith
08-16-08, 07:35 AM
i was told there was tpm's in the shelby wheels already they were brand new take offs and his vendor assured me they were already there Argh

svtrichie
08-16-08, 08:32 AM
Then you will have to reprogram the new sensors to the car. Not sure but some of the newer cars have a way to reset the system in the computer. Best thing to do would just call the dealer and ask the service advisor how to reset it. Some use rf signals, some can use a magnet to reset.

Wharf Rat
08-16-08, 08:38 AM
I think you have to buy a little gadget from Ford for $20 that resets the system.

I think you can find them on Ebay.

blownC6Z
08-16-08, 10:23 AM
Then you will have to reprogram the new sensors to the car. Not sure but some of the newer cars have a way to reset the system in the computer. Best thing to do would just call the dealer and ask the service advisor how to reset it. Some use rf signals, some can use a magnet to reset.

Yep, ya gotta reprogram the sensors to "your" car. Your Ford dealer will do it but probably wants a fortune for the service so better to spend the money on one of these http://www.steeda.com/products/tire_pressure_programming_tool.php and have the tool to keep. Google the ford reprogrammer and you might find it cheaper than the one Steeda has.

wraith
08-18-08, 03:17 AM
thanks alot all i will look into it and let you know how it all works out