PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket

ThePunisher95
08-20-08, 09:01 PM
What head gasket should I use on a blown 1991 Mustang GT? Stock heads with bolt-ons. There so many 2 choose from from different thickness 2 bore size I dont know which one 2 pick

Jacostang
08-20-08, 09:08 PM
Fel-pro, blue or black print 0 seal should be just fine, Lopers carries them...

88BlownGT
08-20-08, 09:58 PM
Fel-pro FTW. Did my intake gaskets and am quite satisfied.

ThePunisher95
08-20-08, 10:09 PM
All I need would be the Intake gaskets and the head gasket correct? and header gasket

4Jenna
08-21-08, 01:57 AM
I like the Fel-Pro MLS gaskets, or Cometic for a boosted engine.

Also I would recc ARP 7/16 head studs also.

Bandit
08-21-08, 09:08 AM
I would also say ARP head studs.

:pinkthumb:

jjmatheson
08-21-08, 10:34 AM
Use Cometic head gaskets, I have been down this road before! Get ARP head bolts and torque them to 100 ft pounds even the short ones. Torque your intake to 10ft pounds. Make sure you use molly on the head bolts and your deck surface is perfect. Make sure you use a good torque wrench. Call Cometic I think you will want to use 44'' thickness head gaskets. Have fun.

4Jenna
08-21-08, 10:56 AM
You can also get custom thickness from Cometic, my last 331 had a .060" which lowered my c/r a lil more for the saftey factor. I think most of the other gaskets come standard at .039-.040"

If you are buying new bolts dont...spend the money on studs, much better clamping force which is important on a boosted engine.

The Fel Pro MLS are the same as the Cometics (multi-layer steel) just dont come in custom sizes, they are easier to find locally also imop. Price diff in the two is minimal.

Chris

jjmatheson
08-21-08, 12:46 PM
True, be careful putting thicker head gakets in a blown motor. That has been known to increase detonation. Reduce your c/r by building the motor for your desired c/r.

4Jenna
08-21-08, 02:59 PM
True, be careful putting thicker head gakets in a blown motor. That has been known to increase detonation. Reduce your c/r by building the motor for your desired c/r.

True indeed, for those that arent building a new motor putting a thicker gasket works fine boosted or not. If you are building a new motor obviously build it for the desired c/r, for guys like me things change, combo's grow, the hp bug continued to grow on me long after my short was assembled hahahaha.

Creep up on the tune, tune safely and detonation isnt a problem, that goes for any engine.

For the record I ran my .060" Cometics for over 2 years on a 331 with a S-trim, then with a T-trim, and then a 70mm turbo. Motor saw as much as 18psi with the turbo, never a gasket issue / failure and actually less detonation issues, and since i lowered my c/r a good bit from the gasket (8.8 to 8.5 range) i thought it helped my detonation factor, I was able to run more timing on pump gas with this combo than when i ran the .040" gasket. Although Cometic did say anything over .060" and I could have issues.

jjmatheson
08-21-08, 03:13 PM
OK, just my experience not trying to debate.

4Jenna
08-21-08, 03:49 PM
OK, just my experience not trying to debate.

Me either

Yours detonated more from thick gaskets? It wasnt the tune?

jjmatheson
08-21-08, 07:49 PM
It was a customers 317 w/ a vortech and when I pulled the engine apart for inspection I found pitting and burned edges on the head gasket. So I had the short block rebuilt by standard machine with the right pistons to maintain 8:6. I put the stock thickness cometics in the car. At the time I thought I was waisting my time but it worked. Some old engine builder that has forgotten more than I know gave me that clue.

4Jenna
08-22-08, 12:45 AM
So Bill or Roger?

Thats who recc my .060" haha

Thats great info, what size gasket were you running?

jjmatheson
08-22-08, 09:25 AM
Rog and thats a good question its been a long time probably .060" or thicker. I have been going to standard for 13 years. He has always been real helpful.

4Jenna
08-22-08, 10:05 AM
Yup they are like family to me

I'm surprised I dont know you, I am there constantly haha

jjmatheson
08-22-08, 11:55 AM
Yeah I have not been there for a couple years. I have been into the modular stuff and have not had to tear apart my motor yet. I do have a Termi shortblock I am going to have him go through just cant afford to play right now.

QuarterHorse
08-23-08, 09:39 PM
I remember Roger from years ago drag racing at SpeedWorld....darned if I remember the name of it then....sucks to get old...LOL