PDA

View Full Version : Good old brake conversion question.

ponypoor
08-24-08, 01:46 AM
Hi Folks a nu be here to the forum so this question may have come up sometime in the past. I'm putting together a 65 coupe as a daily driver and want to do a dics conversion. Been reading all the issues there are with using the Granada spindles. I just so happen to have a complete set of spindles from a 68 Cougar. Anyone have any ideas what issues I might run into using these spindles. This was originally a 170 six shooter C4 equipped pony that has had an HO AOD transplant. Any thought or ideas greatly appreciated...

1966PonyGirl
08-24-08, 01:06 PM
Hi Folks a nu be here to the forum so this question may have come up sometime in the past. I'm putting together a 65 coupe as a daily driver and want to do a dics conversion. Been reading all the issues there are with using the Granada spindles. I just so happen to have a complete set of spindles from a 68 Cougar. Anyone have any ideas what issues I might run into using these spindles. This was originally a 170 six shooter C4 equipped pony that has had an HO AOD transplant. Any thought or ideas greatly appreciated...

first of all, i am drooling over the fact that you are getting front disc brakes!!! so much safer, i hear! lol

secondly, i have been reading some articles and talking to some people, i dont remember off hand if 68 cougar spindles are do able... i do remember hearing that some 70's maveric's spindles can. ill try and ask a few people i know if you dont have an answer yet here. ( i am pretty curious too if cougars can be donors)

also, i am sure you read this already, but just to make sure, youll have to switch out your tie rods/pitman arm from a V8 donor. your disc brakes will need to be five lugs as opposed to 4.

ponypoor
08-25-08, 02:09 PM
Well from what I have been able to find out they will interchange. Seems the only difference there was between the 65/66 disc spindle and the 67/69 was the mount for the caliper since the 65/66 used a 2 piston caliper and the later a single. I'll have to use the tie rod end for the 68 but thats not a problem since all that is going to be changed anyway. I already have a new mini booster with dual bowl master cylinder and a 5 lug rear diff so now once I have all the front suspension parts I can get going on it. I'll keep you informed of any hitches I run into.

1966PonyGirl
08-25-08, 05:02 PM
eeeee!!!! i am super excited for you!!! good luck and stay hydrated!

fadatec
12-02-08, 11:44 AM
Hi I don't know if you already did the swap but I found a vendor that sells an adaptor to use a 03 cobra disc and caliper (13 in). also for the rear (11.67 in) also from a 03 cobra..... Try them see if they fit your bill.
I'm using this setup on my 1966 coupe, V8 289 cu,4 brl., American wheels 17x7 & 17X8, T5, All racing suspension......

The company is Steves Mustangs...

Frank
:bouncy:

vin man
04-30-09, 11:53 AM
Did you say you have an AOD connected to your 6 cylinder? I would be very interested in getting more info on this conversion as I would like to do the same.