PDA

View Full Version : 2002 GT - Goal - 300rwhp N/A

BD5034
09-16-08, 02:20 PM
I am looking to put 300 rwhp down with the 4.6sohc naturally aspirated. I think this is a pretty modest goal, but the part that complicates it is that I want to keep this car as a daily driver, so I don't want to do anything that is going to drastically increase fuel consumption.

I have the 78mm throttle body+plenum from BBK and a BBK chrome cold air kit getting shipped to my house, and will be installing it this week. Those are going to be the first mods to my engine, although I have a borla after-cat already installed. The computer still has the stock tune.

Suggestions on where I could go from here?

ASUSMC
09-16-08, 03:08 PM
In order to get 300 N/A out of a 2 valve you need cam's, longtubes, possibly ported heads, and a tune. The cams are going to hurt your fuel mileage.

Ruckus46gt
09-16-08, 03:12 PM
to be honest your not going to hit your goal unless you throw a set of cams in. I've seen a full bolt on n/a 2v stock heads and stocl cams with a p51 intake throw down almost 295 to the tire, but without cams thats about as close as your going to get. To hit your 300rwhp goal your going to loose fuel mileage. Here is my list of mods that got me 300 on a predator tune...a real tune I would have had more in it(probely 305-310ish area). Car currently has a p51 intake and ported heads and it pulled 328 on a mustang dyno
mods when it pulled basically 300 were
Vt stage 2 cams, Densecharger, C&L plenum, Accufab 75mm t/b, steeda pullies, mac lts, mac prochamber, bassani catback, Fidanza alum flywhee, frpp alum driveshaft, pro motion built t45, steeda triax, frpp 4.30 gears, detriot true track, moser 31 spline axles, arp 3.5" studs, Eibach drag launch kit, Tokico illuminas, hpm mega bite jr lca, steeda hardcore double adj uppers, Pa racing mild steel kmember with stock a arms and spring perches, mm c/c plates
http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicles/full/877953098.jpg
Car ran mid low 12s easily at etown and atco. Sold it a little over a year ago.

the 93 octane compared to 91 will also help a little, but you will see much batter track times with the cams. Cams will make your top end hp curve much diff. I picked up 45rwhp at redline and above with cams

AZSaleen04
09-16-08, 03:38 PM
You can always throw on a Saleen Type IV blower to get that HP over 300. I was able to get 327RWHP on a bad day with the setup.

I do have the entire motor assembly for sale here and I would split up the blower if interested.

jjmatheson
09-16-08, 10:51 PM
N.o.s.

BD5034
09-17-08, 01:56 PM
Ok. Prepare for a long post. Sorry, but I have tons of questions running around in my head and hopefully I can find some answers and get a good plan together.

From what i gather, 300 rwhp is going to be very tough to get without forced induction or nitrous. I'll lower my expectation to 285 rwhp to make it more realistic, since I want to avoid F/I and nitrous (for now - when I don't need it for daily driver duty any longer, I will likely supercharge or nitrous).

So far what I have purchased is the intake plenum/throttle body and cold air kit from BBK, so I was thinking about a new intake manifold next. Do i need a new mass air? Or is that only if I change the fuel delivery system? (what is the P51 intake??)

This car will NOT see track duty, so I'm not worried about the gearing, the shifter, the trans or axels. I want to keep the car as highway friendly as possible since I commute every day in it. I just want to put some more power down for fun factor. I might run it once just for fun to see what it can do.

What is the difference between LT and shorties in terms of HP/TQ gains? My car is very low and scrapes on certain speed bumps already, I'm afraid to put LT's on it. Also, since this is a street car i'll need to do a high flow cat x-pipe... does having the cats hurt much?

ASUSMC
09-17-08, 02:10 PM
I would do an intake change as a last resort. The P-51 is a lot of money and I have heard mixed reviews.

Longtubes will make a difference, they do hang lower and will scrape. Cats don't really make much of a difference at all but if you are going with longtubes not having them is going to make it VERY loud.

Ruckus46gt
09-17-08, 02:22 PM
you should be able to pull 280ish with full bolt ons with stock intake. Since you have a plenum and t/b you'll loose a little money going with a p51. I've seen mixed reviewso n the p51 online, but know 3 n/a 2v's running them and 2 had the intake without cams for a while and there was a very nice gain. If your kmember scrapes then i'd be worry about lt's hitting, I doubt thats the case so lt's are def worth it. Lt's were probely one of the most night and day differences for my car besides cams. I'd focus on full exhaust (lt's not shorties), intake, pullies, plenum, t/b and you should be in the area i stated above. Might hit yoru goal without cats. Your stock maf and fuel system are more then enough for any n/a combo you'll throw at it including heads cams and intake.

BD5034
09-17-08, 02:31 PM
Ok. I'm embarassed. I have no idea what a K member is, but my car definately scrapes on speed bumps and "speed humps" frequently. I don't mean little tiny scrapes either, the car screams bloody murder on the speed bumps near schools and hospitals, even at 5 mph. Will scraping the long tubes affect them in any way besides making them look ugly while the car is on the lift?

Are shorties really THAT much worse?

AZSaleen04
09-17-08, 03:02 PM
Go Supercharged

AZSaleen04
09-17-08, 03:05 PM
MOV01861.flv - Video - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting (http://s375.photobucket.com/albums/oo197/AZSaleen04/?action=view&current=MOV01861.flv)

jjmatheson
09-17-08, 08:30 PM
N.O.S. Wet sys. 600$ and get the power you want. No brain-er. My bottle lasts a long while and I get mileage and dependability. You can always mod from there.

BD5034
09-18-08, 07:31 AM
I'm not taking this car to the track any time soon, I don't need a whole lot of power, I simply want modest power gains with bolt-ons. I will probably supercharge or add nitrous in a year or two when this stops being my daily driver, so that will come later, but definately not now.

Now who can tell me what a K member is, and what the hp/tq gain differences are between shorties and LT?

4Jenna
09-18-08, 08:10 AM
Kmember

http://www.racecraft.com/prodimages/fox%20k-member.jpg

It goes here

http://images.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/mmfp_0704_06_z+fox_body_drag_racing_suspension+K_m ember_removed.jpg

Hope this helps some

BD5034
09-18-08, 11:57 AM
I think I got it. If that's the part I'm thinking about, then yes it scrapes like a son of a gun. Will that tear the long tubes off or damage them, or will it just cause aesthetic damage?

BurnTire
09-18-08, 02:02 PM
The k-member is the cradle that holds the motor in. The Motor mounts bolt to the k member.

BD5034
09-19-08, 03:16 PM
I decided to park my car on top of a speed bump last night and take a close up look. A normal speed bump will not cause my car to scrape, however the larger speed "humps" will nick the K member. The really nasty speed bumps near schools and hospitals will get me, but I can avoid those. With some careful driving, I'd say long tubes are a go. Time to start putting money aside.

01kB
09-19-08, 10:09 PM
I would at least consider chaging the gears to 373's. That is not an outrageous set up and it certainly made a difference in my car. At 80mph i'm pushing 2700 rpms.

Just curious why can't your daily driver have a supercharger setup? Have it installed and tuned by a pro and run 9 or less pounds of boost.

BD5034
09-20-08, 09:37 AM
It's not just a daily driver, it's a commuter car, a LONG commute. I already spend outrageous amounts of money on gas - I don't want to make it any worse. That's why.

BLK03SVT
09-20-08, 02:43 PM
I'm on my third mustang with LT's and they're low, but common sense and careful driving avoids any issues. My car is lowered and I still don't have issues.

Oh, and of all the mods to get for a 2V I think gears are the first one to do. Best seat of the pants mod out there imo.

ronster
09-21-08, 01:56 PM
It's not just a daily driver, it's a commuter car, a LONG commute. I already spend outrageous amounts of money on gas - I don't want to make it any worse. That's why.

Then install the new M112 kit from TTI. It's a Magnuson/Eaton Series 5 blower. You could pick up a non-inter cooled kit for about $3500.00 (although I would go inter cooled) for $4400.00. Since you have a long commute in cruise at 65-70 your mileage should get a bit better. On a long 300 mile trip to a car show, we took 2 cars. A 2000 and a 2003. Both were supercharged with the same kit. One got 26.5 and one got 27.5/28 MPG.
The advantage of a roots style blower is that it moves air by volume. In and out. A twin screw like a KB, moves air in, it compresses the air, and moves air out. The compressor is always on, so you loose mileage by 7-15%.
Of course you will need to keep your foot out of it light to light. Ad up the cost of all the bolt ons, and then compare it to the cost of an S/C. Keep it at 7 pounds and later on install a smaller pulley and kick it up a bit.

BD5034
09-21-08, 05:07 PM
Sigh. Everyone recommends gears. I fill my tank 2.5 or 3 times per week. Increasing my cruising RPM at 70 mph from 1800 to 2500+ (a 38% increase) is not acceptable. My goal isn't strip performance; i just to whoop lancer evos and wrx sti's on the highway. (or any other mid-level import sports car for that matter)

To ronster about supercharging: I plan on supercharging the car once I get a new daily driver in a year or two. For now I want to keep everything under the hood as simple as possible - that means I can fix it myself if it breaks. When I do a supercharger, a full exhaust will still have been an excellent investment, as will my plenum and throttle body. The only thing I've purchased that will have been wasted is the cold air kit, which didn't cost very much.

ronster
09-21-08, 06:37 PM
To ronster about supercharging: I plan on supercharging the car once I get a new daily driver in a year or two. For now I want to keep everything under the hood as simple as possible - that means I can fix it myself if it breaks. When I do a supercharger, a full exhaust will still have been an excellent investment, as will my plenum and throttle body. The only thing I've purchased that will have been wasted is the cold air kit, which didn't cost very much.

BD...The kit comes with a 1300 CFM throttle body and its own CAI as well as a 90mm MAF and plenum. You are right that the exhaust will also help. I'm here to tell you, this kit is VERY simple, but puts it on a par with the 03-04 Cobra's, with everything else bone stock.

BD5034
09-21-08, 08:05 PM
I am definately going to supercharge, just not now. I am doing small, manageable mods that I can purchase slowly - one at a time - and install myself. The budget I have outlined for myself is about $500 / month, so supercharging is also over the price that I had in mind. I haven't brought up the financial aspect of this really because that's not the number one issue, but it still counts when it comes to the more expensive things.

OH3MGSVT
09-22-08, 03:03 PM
Im definitely going the TTI s/c kit myself. I plan to build the bottom end first though then buy the superchargerless kit because I plan on buying a used stage V eaton and putting it on there. Then of course I can upgrade to a kb/whipple or even a TVS 1900/2300 supercharger! Dont mean to steal the thread but yeah doing all the bolt ons possible (including LT, Cams, etc.) are gonna cost you about the same as a s/c setup in the end. But it would also make kick ass improvements if you did all the bolt-ons then s/c it. but it up to you on what route you want to go. Best of luck to ya!

BD5034
09-22-08, 03:31 PM
Yeah. I am definately planning on doing a roots-type supercharger sometime. For now though, I don't need killer power - just a little zip to play around on the highway while driving to work every once in a while.

Ruckus46gt
09-22-08, 05:51 PM
Im definitely going the TTI s/c kit myself. I plan to build the bottom end first though then buy the superchargerless kit because I plan on buying a used stage V eaton and putting it on there. Then of course I can upgrade to a kb/whipple or even a TVS 1900/2300 supercharger! Dont mean to steal the thread but yeah doing all the bolt ons possible (including LT, Cams, etc.) are gonna cost you about the same as a s/c setup in the end. But it would also make kick ass improvements if you did all the bolt-ons then s/c it. but it up to you on what route you want to go. Best of luck to ya!
so you moving up to a 4v since the eatons going on there?

ronster
09-29-08, 05:24 PM

I priced out doing a used Gen 3 or 4 used 03-04 Cobra blower. With the manifold, and all of the other parts and pieces you will need to support it, it will cost more than buying a new kit with a 12 month warranty. One thing that all of these installs have had in common, within about a 1000 miles, everyone of them needed a new clutch. TOO much power for the stock clutch. With good rods, pistons, Stage I Fox Lake heads, Stage II Fox Lake cams, 2.5 inch exhaust, you will hit 500 rwhp at 12 pounds of boost. Guaranteed.

Ruckus46gt
09-29-08, 05:39 PM
since when does a eaton from a cobra fit on a 2v?

Ruckus46gt
09-29-08, 05:43 PM
nevermind just saw a company makes the kit lowerintake and wants 2k screw that you can buy a kit with all the little stuff for only another grand cheaper and would be better off

ronster
09-30-08, 02:02 AM
Yep. You can buy their non I/C kit for $3200.00 and make 350 rwhp, or the complete set up for $4500.00 and make 400-450 rwhp.

BOOMSHAKALAKA
10-01-08, 11:05 PM
just shoot a 100 shot of spray :woot1:

Ruckus46gt
10-02-08, 12:12 AM
i personally loved taking out supercharged 99-04 gt's on motor. They would look see no bottle, or supercharger and think it was in the bag
couple runs of an under 300rwhp 2v
MySpaceTV Videos: n/a battle...me vs juicehead by Ruckus99ss (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=3780962)

MySpaceTV Videos: My 12.525 @ 107.81 run by Ruckus99ss (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=204671)

MySpaceTV Videos: me vs supercharged gt by Ruckus99ss (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=2522741)

idea on what a n/a 2v incar looks like
MySpaceTV Videos: 0-100+ by Ruckus99ss (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=3409306)

BOOMSHAKALAKA
10-02-08, 12:30 AM
ruckus nice vids man. so what have you done?

OH3MGSVT
10-02-08, 12:38 AM
That car was so badass ruckus I love that car. Almost makes me want to build a n/a 2v into a low 12 second car like that and ssurprise a lot of people. I would love to have a sleeper car

Ruckus46gt
10-02-08, 12:54 AM
ruckus nice vids man. so what have you done?
Mac Long tubes
Mac Prochamber
Bassani Catback
Vt stage 2 cams
Comp beehive springs
Densecharger intake
C&L plenum
Accufab 75mm T/B
Steeda pullies
Steeda full length subframe connectors(with welded torque boxes)
Steeda hardcore double adjustable upper control arms
HPM Megabite Jr lower control arms
Tokico illumina shocks/struts
Eibach drag launch kit
Maximum Motorsport c/c plates
Moser 31 spline axles
Detroit true trac differential
FRPP 4.30 gears
FRPP alum. driveshaft
Fidanza alum flywheel
Mcleod cluth disc
FRPP heavy duty pressure plate
Pro-Motion built t45(upgraded 3-4 slider billet keys, Carbon fiber sincros, t56 3rd gear spacer)
Pro-Motion Adjustable wide Trac/ Quick Release Quadrant
Steeda Tri-Ax shifter
Alpine Deck
Diablo Predator handheld tuner
15x5 prostars
15x8 prostars with et street drag radials for the street
15x8 prostars with et street slicks for the track

the money shot
http://b7.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01411/70/29/1411369207_l.jpg

sold the car for 6,500

Aerosi665
10-02-08, 10:53 PM
Wow, someone that really knows how to build a quick drapstrip monster without throwing more power at it than you need. Nice job on the 2v build up, that thing flew out of the hole.

Ruckus46gt
10-02-08, 11:27 PM
Wow, someone that really knows how to build a quick drapstrip monster without throwing more power at it than you need. Nice job on the 2v build up, that thing flew out of the hole.
the car was far from tweaked...i only took it out one time with the relocated battery, kmember, new tranny, 4.30 gears. Doing all that picked me up a tenth and a mph first time out over my previous best (done in a negative 500 da...follow up was postive da a little over 1k). New tranny had in issue i ended up fixing afterward by swapping to a different fluid, and well in the 12.4x videos you can see my cars suspensino had a lot more in it. You can see the front shocks were set way to loose. All said and done car has another .2 in it easily maybe a little more down the road.

BD5034
10-03-08, 02:09 PM
Nice videos. I don't think I want to get that crazy though lol. I just want to make it the most enjoyable daily driver I can. I bought cobra brakes from Gene, they should arrive soon - will get pics up once I install them.

Ruckus46gt
10-03-08, 03:42 PM
Nice videos. I don't think I want to get that crazy though lol. I just want to make it the most enjoyable daily driver I can. I bought cobra brakes from Gene, they should arrive soon - will get pics up once I install them.
yea had to deal with somethings but it wasnt bad. Crap my car was my daily driver snow and all

BD5034
10-14-08, 08:20 AM
New cobra brakes, thank you Gene.

http://i360.photobucket.com/albums/oo45/bd5034/Brakes1.jpg
http://i360.photobucket.com/albums/oo45/bd5034/Brakes2.jpg

BurnTire
10-14-08, 09:50 PM
Look Good!