PDA

View Full Version : Help with exhaust!

88BlownGT
09-16-08, 07:46 PM
Hey everyone, its time for another Fox to get some much needed free-er flowing exhaust. My plan is BBK's ceramic 1 5/8th inch shorties to a BBK X-pipe w/high flow cats. And then my catback SLP Loudmouth 1's LX version for straight out exhaust. Although my Fox is a GT I'm ordering a 93 Cobra body kit, which will allow the LX exhaust to work properly. My question is, since I'll be doing this myself, will any major modifications be in order? I guess what I'm really getting after is will everything fit? Will the tips hang back too short because of the shorty headers? Apologize for the noob-ness but everyones gotta learn. :wave:

BurnTire
09-16-08, 10:05 PM
The headers have nothing to do with the tips. The stock headers are also considered shorty's. Just get under there and get to work. It is any easy swap on a fox. The passenger side header is a tight area to work in ,but manageable. Make sure you get good header gaskets. I like ones with slots that allow you to drop them in place after starting 2 of the bolts.

88BlownGT
09-16-08, 11:41 PM
I'm going to be doing the work just asking advice for the plan. I'm ordering the rear bumper first so the catback will work and then the rest of the exhaust will follow. And I didn't know stock were also considered shorties. :cool:

BurnTire
09-16-08, 11:49 PM
I'm going to be doing the work just asking advice for the plan. I'm ordering the rear bumper first so the catback will work and then the rest of the exhaust will follow. And I didn't know stock were also considered shorties. :cool:

Have fun and let us know how it goes. :pinkthumb:

4Jenna
09-17-08, 02:03 AM
If you dont have a impact get one, exhaust leaks are annoying!

Do you plan on equal or un eqaul?

Mr. Austin
09-17-08, 10:18 AM
by impact do you mean impact drill?

BurnTire
09-17-08, 10:25 AM
If you dont have a impact get one, exhaust leaks are annoying!

Be a man do it by hand :biglaugh:

Mr. Austin
09-17-08, 10:27 AM
well im just curious because i will be doing mine soon. wouldnt an impact over tighten and mess up the gaskets?

ASUSMC
09-17-08, 10:33 AM
Most impacts are adjustable so that makes that easier. Plus its WAY faster

BurnTire
09-17-08, 10:42 AM
I impact off and install by hand.

1966PonyGirl
09-17-08, 10:54 AM
impacts are for sissy- la la's!

Mr. Austin
09-17-08, 11:02 AM
Most impacts are adjustable so that makes that easier. Plus its WAY faster
true true. way faster but i just never thought that would be a good way to do it but i guess in a sense it would work nice. could you possible take the spark plug sockets and do that with the plugs? because then it would not only be quick but you would have to worry about sugging them in

4Jenna
09-17-08, 02:10 PM
No dont use a Impact on the spark plugs, thats a completely different deal. Especially if you have aluminum heads. The Impact gun should only be used during certain maintenance procedures, as it can do more harm than good in the wrong hands...but if you know how to use the tool as it was intended it will make your exhaust swap much easier.

I know on my cars the header to h/x-pipe took some serious tq to seal up and be leak free. I would bang them down with the Impact on tilt!

The exhaust is the only thing I use a Impact for during installation, 99.9% of the time i use mine during removal procedures.

Well except when Burntire and I work on his car, he uses the Impact for everything even his tire valve stem.

Hope this helps some

Chris

Mr. Austin
09-23-08, 06:18 PM
hmm cool deal never knew. would you use it for a tire? lug nuts? use and impact over an air drill?

4Jenna
09-23-08, 07:49 PM
Oh yeah and that to!