PDA

View Full Version : mid-96 5.0 Explorer intake.

AODGTVert
09-29-08, 09:09 AM
I got a mid 96 explorer gt-40 intake. I cleaned out the lower, but I need to finish cleaning the upper. The upper powder coated paint is almost brand new. I know I'll need a 37/64 drill bit and 3/8 NPT thread for the ACT sensor. It already has the boss for it and for the coolant return. What size do I need to make the hole for the coolant return line? Also, will the results be enjoyable going from stock intake to the explorer intake?:veryhappy:

ttocs
09-29-08, 09:11 AM
you should easily gain 1, maybe 2 mpg.

93mustank
09-29-08, 09:19 AM
I just lay my act sensor on the intake....no need to drill it.

swirl
09-29-08, 03:42 PM
That was one of fords bad ideas was putting the act in the intake because it gets heat soaked....i put mine in front of the throttle body.

4Jenna
09-29-08, 04:17 PM
That was one of fords bad ideas was putting the act in the intake because it gets heat soaked....i put mine in front of the throttle body.

Mine is also before the TB, but the 94-95s come this way stock and also use a plastic sensor instead of metal.
I thought about moving mine to the lower, but also realized how bad the sensor gets heat soaked.
For me, with the stand alone I can get better air temp readings pre TB, as this is the actual temp of the air entering the engine. I know alot of fox guys relocate their sensor due to this. I just welded a bung to my cold side pipe and was done.

For mild cars I don't think it's that critical. I would say for your case you can either drill / tap the lower or extend the wires and put it pre TB.

Hope this helps some.

Chris

AODGTVert
09-30-08, 08:44 AM
Thanks. I heard I need to make a hole next to the number 4 runner for the coolant return for the EGR spacer. How big does the thread need to be?

4Jenna
09-30-08, 10:43 AM
I wouldn't run that either, the hot coolant heats the spacer up. Most guys cap the intake and the spacer...deleting it.

Chris