PDA

View Full Version : Speedworld

P Machy
10-13-08, 01:17 PM
any one know who is running things there now?

PIC that used to run LACR is supposed to holding our old event there this year called Hangover Nationals.

Can any one confirm if Bernie Longjohn is the PIC?

BurnTire
10-13-08, 02:17 PM
http://www.speedworlddragstrip.com/

Don't see it on the schedule.

AZSonicSnake
10-13-08, 08:29 PM
In welcoming our "New" Track Manager Bernie Longjohn we will be running his famous
"NEW 28TH HANG OVER NATIONALS"
Welcome Bernie to Speedworld!
See January 09 Calendar for details
Click Here for Sign Up Form (http://www.speedworlddragstrip.com/flyers/Website%20Sign%20Up%20Form.doc)

right at the bottom of the main page there mr. burntire... :sticktonge: :woot1:

BurnTire
10-13-08, 08:42 PM
pmachy said this year not next Mr Sonic. :hyper:

AZSonicSnake
10-13-08, 09:42 PM
yeah yeah...details. lol...

Sal
10-14-08, 12:46 AM
Yes Dave (PMachy), Bernie is now at the controls over at SpeedWorld. And I'm sure he'll have his World Famous Hangover Nationals on New Years '09.

BurnTire
10-14-08, 12:58 AM
pmachy finally coming to AZ?

P Machy
10-14-08, 06:45 AM
:Bucktooth: Sal, did not know u were registered on this site as well :hi:

Jeff, yeah, I loved the Hangover Nationals. 1st year I went was in 2003. Cars were just packed in lanes and them some. A little freezing as heck, but it was usually a great 4 day weekend at the strip.

If u talk to him, ask him if he will water the lanes down while ur making a pass :sticktonge:

His Bernie Burgers were a good snack.

TruBluScreamer
10-14-08, 07:10 PM
Not to get off track but..... Whos headed out there this saturday morning??? Just curious but Ill be youre EMT this saturday..... And from what i hear the new track manager is a real piece of work!!

P Machy
10-14-08, 07:34 PM
In a good way or bad way?

For me, it depends on how you look at things. He was nice enough in hiring some folks that would find having a job is a difficult thing back in the days. Granted he was a cheap guy with VHT, but he has been known to glue the track on the right events....guaranteed. He even tried to get me to drive his pick up truck when I broke the Mach1 on the 2nd qualifying pass for the Summit Races. If you do get to know him, he seems to let you do alot of things.

Anyways, he has been in the game for a very long time. First ran Famoso Raceway and then took over LACR. If you all had Blake from Famoso, he could show any one how to run a drag strip. Bernie was the oposite. Hopefully he learned from his failed 660' track venture from the South East Coast last year.

LACR.net still has a forum going on the domestic side. A lot of his employees still throw in a post here and there.

TruBluScreamer
10-14-08, 07:49 PM
yeah i hear hes not that great hes changing up alot of things that imo he has no business changing i havent met him yet but im not real fond of him

AZSonicSnake
10-14-08, 08:11 PM
might i ask whats changing?

TruBluScreamer
10-14-08, 08:27 PM
well from what i understand hes totally changing the EMS position on the track to half track when most fires on the track start at the starting line and from the half track position its hard to get on the track in a hurry if someone eats it!! thats all i really know right now but so far i dont like the fact that he comes in and just cleans house but i will keep you guys posted if things change that effect the racers!!

4Jenna
10-15-08, 12:50 AM
We are getting a brand new timing system since ours is from the 50's. It will also tell lots of good info on the time slip like elevation, temp, and other good facts.

Bernie said no track has this "new" timing system yet, only us.

We had a staff meeting last week and I remember Bernie from when I raced at LACR. He has alot of ideas for the track, and plans to make it a better place to race.

-Chris

IMSHAKN
10-15-08, 12:59 AM
We had a staff meeting last week and I remember Bernie from when I raced at LACR. He has alot of ideas for the track, and plans to make it a better place to race.

-Chris

Tell him more water in the water box may be a little helpful...I know a couple of us were concerned about how little water was being used this weekend, wasn't the easiest on the cars...when you have a car doing a one wheel burnout because one wheel didn't get any water, it might be an indication that some more water may be needed ;) Lol

4Jenna
10-15-08, 01:13 AM
Shane told me about this yesterday. I had planned on calling Big T to see if I could possibly get the names of the guys working that night as that is complete BS.

Sounds like the water box guy was being lazy. When I'm starter that doesn't fly.

You guys paid to race and are entitled to the best we can give, and having water in the box is a simple thing to do.

I am brining that up though, I give you my word.

-Chris

IMSHAKN
10-15-08, 01:25 AM
Shane told me about this yesterday. I had planned on calling Big T to see if I could possibly get the names of the guys working that night as that is complete BS.

Sounds like the water box guy was being lazy. When I'm starter that doesn't fly.

You guys paid to race and are entitled to the best we can give, and having water in the box is a simple thing to do.

I am brining that up though, I give you my word.

-Chris

Thanks, never had an issue with it before but it was really annoying. I can't help but think that the reason my clutch stuck to my flywheel was because it was slipping due to the lack of water. ET drags and a rear end that doesn't give trying to do a burnout with little water equals a lot of stress and heat put into that clutch. Thankfully with the help of a nice guy I got the clutch working again...

Track held great and we were all pleased with that, but the rate at which people were moving just wasn't as good as I've come to expect from SW as I've been happy with the track in the past.

It's always nice knowing we have you hear to help relay our thoughts on improving the track, hopefully next time will be better because the weather is getting nice. :woot2:

4Jenna
10-15-08, 01:31 AM
Did you guys ask for water?

AZSonicSnake
10-15-08, 08:59 AM
yeah, i had decent water for my 1st three passes, but it was because i was up right after the jr dragsters, and the kids and or parents had been putting down water. i do believe jay asked for it, and was told by the starter (never caught his name) that there was not enough time, they needed to keep things moving. but with the maybe 10 test and tune cars, i do not see how that was an issue. there was one long clean up after a GN vented his block mid track, but otherwise things moved quickly. the race director was victoria. i thought things went decently, other than the water part. its hard for me to complain too much with the times they were letting me run though. :hi:

oh, btw- there was only the starter and the one person pulling cars from the lanes. no additional person around the lanes to even be putting water down...

IMSHAKN
10-15-08, 10:28 AM
Yeah, the only time I really saw any water put down was for the Jr. dragsters as Tony said. If I remember correctly we had mentioned the water, but with how few people there were around I think they were all feeling a bit rushed as there didn't seem to be much help.

P Machy
10-15-08, 12:04 PM
LOL...sorry not to laugh at you guys. Just remember he had a guy named Andy working the burnout box at LACR.

Lets say I burnt up my Diff and friend did too.

LACR's Old WWW http://members3.boardhost.com/timmys51/

Wonder if Bernie will run it like LACR Schedule? It was a non stop strip from Wed & Friday TNT (only prep was right at the opening), Saturday & Sunday he would have lots of Events. One could easily go there 4 times a week for months on end. :pinkthumb:

BTW: LACR's Safari Crew sucked. At the last stages of LACR being open, lots of accidents and they took forever to get to the scene. They were position at the first turn off.

SloSVO
10-16-08, 01:23 PM
I hope Bernie doesn't go and **** everything up.. I've been going out to speedworld as there are not enough 1/4 tracks in California..

I was out there on the 11th.. it was a regular tnt night.. the one thing I found was that the kid at the water box would put you in the middle of the box.. splashing water all over the place.. the other thing that is minor but.. is when they pull cars in parallel.. meaning in sted of pulling cars say on lanes 1 and 2 for say 5 mins.. they pulled 1&2 and then 3&4 and then 5&6..

P Machy
10-21-08, 01:42 PM
So hows the weather in November in Phoenix?

Much rain? Not sure if you all ever had the weekend calender filled up, but it is missing wednesday TNT's. LOL

Wharf Rat
10-25-08, 10:59 AM
I can't believe neither track has a week night T&T???