PDA

View Full Version : shank lug rule

Ruckus46gt
10-16-08, 04:13 PM
Ok just swapped out my stock 1.5" studs for apr 2.5" studs and well they dont go as far as i wanted but also dont look retarted with my stock rims on like the 3.5s would have. Anyway just wanted to make sure I am reading the rule correctly
Nhra states
Wheel studs must be threaded into hex portion of lug nut a distance at least equal to the diameter of the stud

So that means it would have to go halfway in to the head section of the shank lug or go past the red line (lets say that is the halfway mark of the head section cause tech itwould be open end not closed like the pic)
http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/2591/magshankverificationzf2.jpg

Ruckus46gt
10-16-08, 04:21 PM
acutally thought of it wrong so really it only has to go in as much as the opening of the stud so if the opening is the size of a dime it only has to go in that cir***france of that correct?

BurnTire
10-16-08, 05:31 PM
You take the diameter of the stud. So if you have 1/2" stud then the threaded portion of the stud must protrude 1/2" into the head (hex portion of the lug nut).

Imaging you have a lug nut with a 3" head. You would need to have the threaded portion of the stud engage the first 1/2" of the lug nut.

It is all about thread engagement.

Also if your studs have and un-threaded portion on the beginning this area does not count as engagement. It has to be 1/2" of threads on threads.