PDA

View Full Version : Engine swap

99WhiteGT
10-24-08, 01:27 PM
How hard is it to pull a the engine of a 99 GT? Could i do it at home? And what kind of tools will i need? Someone told me that i have to unbolt the engine then lift the body of the car up and remove it out the bottom. Is that true or can you remove from topside. Thanks

IMSHAKN
10-24-08, 02:29 PM
Shouldn't be too horribly difficult and you can remove it through the hood. Simply hook the picker up to the motor, disconnect the transmission, motor mounts, all connections, and pull her out (Also would be wise to take your hood off...). If you had access to a lift it would be easier as all you need to do is disconnect all fittings, pull the drive shaft, and drop the K-member with the motor attached to it.

Besides a picker, there really are not many special tools you need minus patience.

ASUSMC
10-24-08, 03:18 PM
Probably the most specialized tool you will need beyond long extenions and patience is a fuel line/ac line quick disconnect set. You will just need to disconnect the fuel lines.

The trans can stay attached but you do have to remove the shifter. Watch out for ground wires that you cant really see until you are lifting the motor, particularly on the drivers side. If you are pulling it out of the top you will need to remove the hood. Just gotta go little by little, lift it up, slide it forward, repeat.

99WhiteGT
10-24-08, 05:45 PM
K thanks for the info guys

OH3MGSVT
10-24-08, 07:18 PM
I know this all too well