PDA

View Full Version : attention electrical gurus/semi gurus!

1966PonyGirl
10-28-08, 02:57 PM
I have been trying to figure out the mystery of why my car has died while i am driving. I have been studying wiring diagrams for 1966 mustang and tested like crazy. From the tests, i found that there isnt any power coming from the wire (wire 16) that leads from the positive terminal on the coil to the ignition switch. i repaired the wire and she still wont turn over. I am now looking under the dash see and see this wire. it just so happens that it leads to the ignition switch. it's been splice a few times and is connected to this intresting plastic set up.

my question is what the heck is this plactic thing?!?!
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i122/annearrow/Molly%20Nacoma%20Edelbrock/wtfisthis.jpg

BurnTire
10-28-08, 03:02 PM
Looks like an in-line fuse. If there is an electrical jolt it will prevent damage down-line.
Does the fuse look blown/damaged?

1966PonyGirl
10-28-08, 03:35 PM
yes! it looks horrible! its warped and bubbled! do you suppose this part can be picked up at ace hardware?

BurnTire
10-28-08, 03:38 PM
I would take it apart. The wires should crimp into each side. Stop by a napa or autozone and see if they have a replacment.

1966PonyGirl
10-28-08, 03:40 PM
thank you! if this fixes my headache i owe you one!!!!!!!

BurnTire
10-28-08, 03:42 PM
If you want to be sure just test the current from one side inline fuse to the other. Form where the wire crimps on on side to the other. Or just poke a needle into each side orange wire before and after the fuse for test points.

ttocs
10-28-08, 04:00 PM
yea that doesn't look good, infact it even looks bad. Wally world even sells good replacements now or else any car audio dealer would stock a good replacement. That could easily be your problem.........

BurnTire
10-28-08, 04:10 PM
Yea an audio shop may be a good place.

1966PonyGirl
10-28-08, 04:19 PM
i am 98% it has been. its a rats nest under that dash. i want to find the previous owner who did this and flick them in the nose and lecture them about the importance of a clean wire harness and HOW NOT TO SPLICE ONE WIRE A MILLION TIMES!

1966PonyGirl
10-28-08, 11:26 PM
well.... did the continuity test with the needles. as nasty as the fuse looks, it seems to be getting a solid beep. course it might not be getting a full spark out of it. this wire is spliced a few times else where and i have yet to check the ignition switch. i am not throwing in the towel yet!

ttocs
10-29-08, 06:53 AM
I am willing to bet that if you do the test, and then jiggle(technical term) the fuse holder that it will loose continuity. Try connecting to it and then pull, push, and tap on the holder to see if it goes on and off. These are what us electrical guru's call a technical tap and you would be suprised how much you can troubleshoot with it.

1966PonyGirl
10-29-08, 08:00 AM
lol! ill be tapping at it some more. i have a half day at work today. (got to love exessive PTO!)

IMSHAKN
10-29-08, 10:24 AM
So the previous owner left you a rats nest for a wiring harness. Beautiful. That would be one of those projects where one day I'd go through and really clean things up. Let me guess, they used a lot of crimp on connections and taps rather than cleanly splicing and soldering in the connections?

ttocs
10-29-08, 02:06 PM
you can only hope that they used crimp caps if it is really bad then there will be t-taps on top of scotch-locks......

1966PonyGirl
10-29-08, 05:43 PM
well. i have just learned that that wire with the creepy in line fuse... is for the under dash bolt on AC. followed it around and saw on one side of the fuse it has been crimped twice and then followed it around on the other side of the fuse and saw 3 more crimps. found a piece of a match book cover, something with duct tape in the back, and twenty different color wires spliced into the original wires. unbelievable.

i think i am now an advocate against cruel treatment to mustangs. :bitchslap:

ttocs
10-29-08, 06:26 PM
keep tapping, pullin and jigglin the wires to try and get the problem to come back. Sooner or later you will touch a THE wire that is causing all of these problems and it will stop working right in front of you. Electrical gremlins can be hell to chase down.

QuarterHorse
10-29-08, 08:12 PM
You may want to check your ignition switch. Those are prone to failure at that age. A new wiring harness wouldn't be a bad idea in the future. PM me if you need more help with trying to figure it out.

1966PonyGirl
10-30-08, 10:13 PM
diagnostic log/stardate 10:30:2008. i got buddy on to help me. first off we tried re-grounding some of my grounds on the distributor. i have an edelbrock performer manifold (aluminum). i have learned that aluminum is not a good thing to ground on. i have had the car almost two years and bought her like that. it has run fine with the interesting choice of grounds, so its a bit odd. after re grounding, we still are cranking and not starting. it has been established that we are getting electricity everywhere we need it and from the ignition to the coil; there is still no spark coming from the coil.

conclusion: that its got to be something with the distributor. my buddy knows points.... but lucky for me i have an MSD distributor. a mutual buddy of ours gave some insight on what can be going on.

ill post more on the run down on the diagnostics. i really hope this will help people in the future! i dont want anyone to go thru this. ITS CUTTING IN TO MY CRUISING TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1966PonyGirl
10-30-08, 10:18 PM
You may want to check your ignition switch. Those are prone to failure at that age. A new wiring harness wouldn't be a bad idea in the future. PM me if you need more help with trying to figure it out.

i have tested the ignition wire... its checking out. i even popped the switch to double check to see if it looks iffy. but all is well. and i am getting power. i know i am getting close to the answer.:yes:

ttocs
10-30-08, 11:10 PM
what side of town are you on? I am not a motor guy but I understand electrons fairly well and could probably help out.

1966PonyGirl
10-30-08, 11:13 PM
eek! i am kinda far from you. i am in surprise.

1966PonyGirl
11-03-08, 05:14 AM
Later this week on:

As The Pony Turns: Molly gets a new magnetic pick up tuesday. Could this be the source of all of her problems? Will Lopers have this part by Tuesday? Will Roxanne loses all sanity? Tune in later this week * cue cheesy day time soap oprea music *

1966PonyGirl
11-18-08, 07:58 AM
to conclude this episode of, As The Pony Turns, i have learned what was wrong! i fried the MSD distributor! * takes a bow* I got a hold of a distributor for now and am running a dual points!

answers to the above questions: yes it was half the source of the problem. the other problem was the fried circut board, no they didnt have it on time, she never had it to begin with.

lessons learned:
watch how you put your wires on your coil. know where the wires go on the coil!

aluminum is not the best ground. (ran for two years like that and didnt know till now!)

a better understanding of the ignion system on my car.

learned how to use a multimeter

learned to hate people that crip a single wire 5-6 times and rats nests.

working on getting that second job. i really have a clearer vision of what i want to do with her now!

ttocs
11-18-08, 09:18 AM
glad to hear you fixed it and learned alot in the process.