PDA

View Full Version : need some advice :D

Zinker
11-09-08, 01:55 AM
im 16 years old, just got a 03 mustang cobra like 2 months ago, it has 500 pounds of toqure and about 500rwhp. i want to take it to firebird or speedworld, but im not quite on sure how to do it, im a total noobie, but i really wanna get into drag racing. my parents arent to fond of letting me drag race :p. help some advice please :D

fazm
11-09-08, 10:43 AM
im assuming the parents bought the car for you? at 16 you pretty much should be thankful for a car like that (i had a $400 chevy celebrity) an dont do anything to piss your parents off.

with that said, you can visit either website to find out when they are running street drags. www.firebirdraceway.com (http://www.firebirdraceway.com) and www.speedworlddragstrip.com (http://www.speedworlddragstrip.com)

BurnTire
11-09-08, 10:52 AM
At 16 you need a parent with you on race night.

Does the car still have IRS?

Zinker
11-09-08, 01:26 PM
whats IRS, and my dad was cool with it, he likes to do it, but my mom not so much.

I paid for the car, in full. I had a job and i have a twin brother, who also paid.

BurnTire
11-09-08, 01:34 PM
whats IRS, and my dad was cool with it, he likes to do it, but my mom not so much.

I paid for the car, in full. I had a job and i have a twin brother, who also paid.

Independent Rear suspension. Does it still have the stock rear end?

Zinker
11-09-08, 01:41 PM
stiegeire stage 4 ported and rebuild, 2.76 upper and all bullit idlers, single blade Accu-fab TB, , TR6 plugs gaped at 36, SCT tuner tuned by ADC, two pod gages wide band and boost, 3.73 gears bullit flow cover brace full polly bushings in the IRS battery relocated to the trunk, rear strut tower brace (set up for coilovers) front strut tower brace, kenny brown subframe conecters short throw shifter, bassai X pipe and cat back BX, H&R SS springs, MM caster camber plates, AFCO pro heat exchanger, cold air intake, brake ducts, good tires

BurnTire
11-09-08, 01:42 PM
Do you get wheel hop when the tires spin?

Battery relocated to the trunk. You must have an external shut off switch on the rear of the car or you can not race at an NHRA track.

Zinker
11-09-08, 01:43 PM
dont nkow what that is, i only know is when i launch, it spins even till the end of 2nd... i have to go slow then hit it

BurnTire
11-09-08, 01:45 PM
dont nkow what that is, i only know is when i launch, it spins even till the end of 2nd... i have to go slow then hit it

Read my above post about the battery.

Wheel Hop. Feels like the rear of the car is hopping. Very violent event that breaks parts.

fazm
11-09-08, 01:45 PM
one of those things if you were having it, you would know lol

wickedcobra
11-09-08, 01:50 PM
Wow, 16 with a Terminator? Thats alot of car for a noobie driver. Be careful with that thing....:yes:

Zinker
11-09-08, 02:48 PM
umm, i dont think i have wheel hoping, it does kinda bounce in the back alittle, but i thought that was becuase traction control was on.

Blackmagic1
11-09-08, 03:18 PM
Wow, 16 with a Terminator? Thats alot of car for a noobie driver. Be careful with that thing....:yes: WOW ! Wish I HAD a job to buy a modded Terminator! Whew! (Let alone,that age)

Zinker
11-09-08, 03:43 PM
yea i saved up for one since like 6th grade lol, and now im in 11th, i got a really good deal too :p

fazm
11-09-08, 03:48 PM
even saving up every penny i would have come across from 6th grade to 11th grade, and having everyting else paid for (gas, insurance, food, etc) i wouldnt have enough for a terminator lol.

Zinker
11-09-08, 03:49 PM
Remember i have a twin brother working also :D

ttocs
11-09-08, 04:37 PM
You have one hell of a hot car that you do not know much about. I could not imagine starting a kid in anything more then a gt till you could appreciate it. At least you are wanting to take it to the track. Start slow man that car can do alot of damage with a flip of the ankle......

Zinker
11-09-08, 05:23 PM
o i had a red 98 gt before this :p

Zinker
11-09-08, 05:43 PM
so what should i do, i think i dont get the bouncing when spinning the tires. do you think i should go to speedworld or firebird? people say speedworld is less strict or something.

Martimus
11-09-08, 05:46 PM
Thats on helluva car for an experienced driver let alone someone who has only had a drivers license for under a year. While this might not be the most popular advice I highly suggest you spend some time getting acclimated to that car and its particular nuances before you take it to the track. Remember... it only takes one oops to put the car into a wall. :carcrash:

One thing that I'm truly curious about, however. What do you (or your parents) pay in insurance on that car. If the two principal drivers are both 16 years of age I'm guessing its got to be something short of the gross national product of Liechtenstein... Yikes! :jaw-dropping:

Zinker
11-09-08, 06:23 PM
yes your right, i think i will get used to the car some more. and yes my parents pay insurance for me and my bro on the car.

thanks for all your guys' help

BurnTire
11-09-08, 09:34 PM
Did you buy your car locally?

IMSHAKN
11-09-08, 10:00 PM
Get used to it and then come out one day with a bunch of us and bring your dad along. There are a number of us that would be happy to help you get into drag racing on the track. Just remember, keep it on the track and only there.

Ruckus46gt
11-10-08, 02:07 AM
to be honest I wouldnt even try until you get some seat time in the car and know a little mroe about the car

ttocs
11-10-08, 10:21 AM
I was stupid at 22 when I bought a 600cc sport bike and your car would have kept up nicely with it. I was lucky to walk away(well kinda) after a stupid moment on that bike, it only takes a moment so please be carefull. Have you seen the mustang week videos? I think those were drivers that were familiar with their cars and had experience.

wickedcobra
11-11-08, 01:26 AM
I say screw it and take it to the track. If he doesnt he will be hot rodding it around the streets. I agree with IMSHAKIN, come out to the track when alot of us are going down there. What tires are you running on the rear right now?

AZSonicSnake
11-11-08, 08:09 AM
agreed with wickedcobra. its the safest place to get on it, and to do it leagally. we all have to learn sometime. ;)

silvrsvt
12-03-08, 11:48 AM
why not get the car retuned with less boost... I think 400rwhp you would still have your hands full! then start going to the track, after you feel like your ready for more swap the pulley and hit hit the track again! :woot1:
good luck! and like everyone else is saying keep the racing at the track! I learned my lesson the hard way 120 in a 55 is VERY expensive...