PDA

View Full Version : Classic Question...

AZSonicSnake
11-10-08, 09:33 PM
ok, so the wife and i are shopping for a 64-66 stang. not looking for anything crazy, just want to find a nice coupe, preferably with the 289 and an automatic.

now, the reason for my post.

we have found a nice 66, the interior has been redone, and the body has been repainted the original white. but, it has a 302 in it. which from my understanding did not come in the stang till 1968. i am a newb at the classic stang, so please excuse me if i am incorrect on this one. how does this affect the value of the car? the seller is looking to get 6500 for the car. i initially thought this was a good price, if it had the 289. how does this really effect the value though? just looking for some advice, i really don't want to get in over my head and cost myself big on the wrong car.

also, if anyone knows of someone selling a decent 64-66 stang, please let me know. our budget is 4-6k. from what i am looking at it should not be a big issue.

thought i would mention, this is not a car we are looking for to replace the cobra or anything of the like. the wife really wants a classic to drive the mile she has to drive to work, and have a nice classic to take out on the weekends.

Rev'n Kevin
11-11-08, 12:20 AM
A common swap out on those years, best thing to do is get the vin number, then google a mustang vin decoder, plenty of them on the net, and that will tell you everything about what the car came as. Good luck, I'm looking at a 65 coupe right now myself.

HIKER
11-11-08, 01:20 PM
If the car is going to be a daily driver and you're not interested in restoring to original condition it shouldn't matter. If you're going to customize the engine compartment with aftermarket accessories...289 or 302 is no big deal.

But if you want something all original or want to bring this one back to all original...find one with a 289...

Also.. is the coupe a T,C,A, or K code. That will be the last letter in the VIN before the 6 numbers. If it's a T, pass on the car... If it a K... you hit the lottery. C and A are you're best bet..

If you're interested in doing a mild resto mod...the 302 is no big deal.

AZSonicSnake
11-11-08, 01:48 PM
If the car is going to be a daily driver and you're not interested in restoring to original condition it shouldn't matter. If you're going to customize the engine compartment with aftermarket accessories...289 or 302 is no big deal.

But if you want something all original or want to bring this one back to all original...find one with a 289...

Also.. is the coupe a T,C,A, or K code. That will be the last letter in the VIN before the 6 numbers. If it's a T, pass on the car... If it a K... you hit the lottery. C and A are you're best bet..

If you're interested in doing a mild resto mod...the 302 is no big deal.

from what i was reading, the 302 is the same exact motor on the outside, just a different stroke? as for the code, whats the difference between T,C,A or K? the plan with likely be to do a very mild restomod. planned on putting some kind of wheels on it that are tasteful for a classic stang, like torque thrusts or something of the like. and adding a/c if it does not have it, along with a decent stereo, nothing over the top, just something to modernize it. mainly wanting to find something that is not a complete resoration job, as i do not have the storage room for such a project.

AZSonicSnake
11-11-08, 02:00 PM
ok... found my answers on the coding...

http://www.vintage-mustang.com/topics/decode/decode.html

1966PonyGirl
11-11-08, 07:35 PM
best bet/learning whats good and not: going to the cruise ins and start judging the engine bays and body gap alignments of the old stangs and asking questions!!!

if its a mild restomod route you are taking, a 302 is a lot of fun. like kevin said, a very typical swap out for a few more cubes. (if you want more power with out super major modifications, you can throw a 351 winsor in it!!) It sounds like its a fairly decent price, if its not a concourse car but pretty clean. common things to check right off the bat, is the body. some times you can spot on an angle if you see that the owner painted over rust.

ask if this car has recipts and if the owner has a log book of maintenace done.

a few points to keep in mind....

if your wife doenst mind throwing safety out the window for an awesome ride, then go for it! if its a concern, there are plenty of aftermarket items you can get to make it safe. such as a full back seat, 3 point seat belt and disc breaks.

is she use to driving an old car? some factors such as no power steering, waiting for the car to warm up in the cold morning (although doesnt happen too much), adjusting the carb to the weather, mild but frequent maintenance, and power behind the car are things to consider. i dont mean to come off as a know it all or a debbie downer.... but there are even some guys that i wont allow to drive my car or come with in 10 feet of it. just a few things i had to get use to when Molly became my DD. (my first fish tail of inexperience was scary and fun at the same time!!!)

last thing...

Look under the dash!! if its a rats nest, walk away. run away if you can.

AZSonicSnake
11-11-08, 07:51 PM
i might take you up on that! especially with how close you are to work. ;)

i did go and look at the car tonight, and found a few things i am happy with, a few things i am not. first off, it was originally a manual car, and whats weird was the clutch pedal was still there, just neatly placed under the new carpet. as for the paint, well, uh, it was definetly not a top notch job. it was done decently, and good enough to last us till we are to the point of a really good job, but its not a car show quality job. the interior use to be aqua, per the the vin tag, but is redone in black. which is what i would want. you can see mark on the dash where it was painted, and under the dash you could see some of the old color. the heater core is shot, and that needs replaced. i looks like there is not of the tubing or what not for the heating system. it does need a full set of weather striping, and most all is shot. and the parking brake needs help. i am just not sold on spending 6500 for it, but i am honestly not super hip to the classic stang world, and dunno if i am really getting something worth the money. the car definetly needs work, but nothing that cannot be tackled over time with a little bit of elbow grease. the motor was cold, and fired right up when it was started. the only thing i am wanting to make further decisions is to drive it. we got there as the sun was going down, and i wanted to wait for daylight to take it for a spin. i really want the wife to drive it, because as you mention, she needs to determine if a classic car is the way to go. it is something to get use to, and i really want her to be happy with what we are getting.

1966PonyGirl
11-11-08, 08:18 PM
hmmm that clutch pedal is still there? thats odd. i dont understand why they wouldnt have taken it out. id say thats kinda fishy. i can see how paying 6500 would be a lil much for a car with that kind of mechanic touch.

come on over! and if you want, we can set up a time too so your wife can come over and she can get a 101 too. its a big investment and a ton of fun as long as you know what you are in for.

Rev'n Kevin
11-12-08, 10:32 AM
From what you described @ $6500, I would walk away, you should be able to find one in much better condition for that price. When it comes to a classic stang, patience is the key, I've been looking at them now for the last 6 months and still have not purchased one. I look for something a bit different, rare options, #'s made of the particular model, past ownership, etc. There's a difference between a classic and an old mustang. Never buy on impulse, it's like fishing, sometimes you got to throw them back in, and keep casting for the trophy fish.

Jacostang
11-12-08, 10:59 AM
From what you described @ $6500, I would walk away, you should be able to find one in much better condition for that price. When it comes to a classic stang, patience is the key, I've been looking at them now for the last 6 months and still have not purchased one. I look for something a bit different, rare options, #'s made of the particular model, past ownership, etc. There's a difference between a classic and an old mustang. Never buy on impulse, it's like fishing, sometimes you got to throw them back in, and keep casting for the trophy fish.
yup walk away from this one there are much better ones....

AZSonicSnake
11-12-08, 11:50 AM
well, the wife and i agreed, had the price been more around 5k, i'd probably do it. but the extra 1500 kinda puts it out. found a blue 65 that we are gonna take a peak at, its priced kinda high, but gonna check it out and see how flexible the owner is. i am quickly learning that patience is the key. so with that in mind, i am being rather picky. i know the right deal will come along.

Rev'n Kevin
11-13-08, 12:44 AM
I'm looking at a 65 coupe, that needs nothing done for $8500, was asking $12,500, know anybody that wants to buy mine? lol

BTW, looked at a 71 Grande the other day for $7k, that was sweet, orange with ghost flames, not a bad car or deal, if only it were a boss, sigh!

HIKER
11-13-08, 03:12 PM
Looks like from what you want, a 302 is just fine.. Keep in mind your wife WILL want power steering unless she's the WWF type...lol

Here's a couple I just found..

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/914357900.html

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/910216683.html

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/905250004.html

Nice Fastback for good price

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/901336139.html

more coupes..

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/879109666.html

Tucson...

http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/885148590.html

http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/884789122.html

Lake Havasu..

http://mohave.craigslist.org/cto/881019286.html

This one seems too good to be true...

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/915216091.html

Scottsdale...

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/911313375.html

Project car..

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/908738501.html

AZSonicSnake
11-13-08, 04:08 PM
yeah, kinda wanting an automatic though, otherwise, some good finds! that blue one in cali does seem far too good to be true. i have kinda ruled out anything i cannot drive to see first though.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/910216683.html

this is the one i am describing (post #7) that i looked at this week... ;)

definetly thank you though! if anyone sees anything, please let me know. our budget is really in the 6-8k range. and from what i have seen we should not have much trouble since she HATES fastbacks. and those seem to be the most spendy...

HIKER
11-14-08, 06:37 PM
Nice...I like the GT rear valance...

AZSonicSnake
11-19-08, 11:27 AM
well, we might have found our car. its a 1966, with the deluxe interior, and its is amazing shape, the exterior was tahoe turquoise, but has been repainted a color that has a tad more silver in it. but, the body is super straight, with only two small rust spots visable. has factory a/c that works beautifully, and has fatory power steering. the chrome on it is in awesome shape, and the underside of the car looks very clean and unmolested. the engine runs strong, but could use some gaskets. drove it, and had great road manners, and everything works. just tryin to decide if its worth the 8700 he is asking for it...

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/915362887.html

TruBluScreamer
11-19-08, 05:17 PM
Looks good man!!! Hopefully this is the one!!

AZSonicSnake
11-19-08, 07:13 PM
yeah, i dunno. i am having trouble with the money part. need some knowledgeable people to confirm that a car in that shape is worth that money. will make deciding to spend that much, much more easier.

1966PonyGirl
11-19-08, 07:15 PM
dont forget! haggle!!!! few people do this anymore! also, cash always talks!

AZSonicSnake
11-19-08, 07:56 PM
yup, think thats what we're gonna due. says he has other buyers, might call his bluff...

HIKER
11-19-08, 10:33 PM
Where's the car?

AZSonicSnake
11-19-08, 10:39 PM
up by my house actually. cave creek and bell. fact the guy brought the car over to my house for me to personally check out...

1966PonyGirl
11-20-08, 12:33 PM
up by my house actually. cave creek and bell. fact the guy brought the car over to my house for me to personally check out...

if he brought it by, driving it, id say so far there is a good feel there. seems a little more on the up and up. did you try breaking hard on the car too to see what it does? go up the on the freeway on ramp quickly with the AC on? you got to put any car you by thru the ringer to see if it gets questionable on you!

AZSonicSnake
11-21-08, 08:55 AM
well, thought i would ad an update. the mrs wants to put this on hold for now. we are still gonna be lookin, but not gonna buyin anything right at the moment unless one of those "amazing" deals comes along. she drove the last car we looked at, and liked it, but had cold feet about spendng that kind of money right now. and honestly, i cannot say i blame her. she did say that she wants a classic now more than ever, but its gonna be a little bit longer. i am not complaing because so far i have learned alot more about classic stangs, and have gotten to look over 4 now, and its been an awesome experience.

Rev'n Kevin
11-21-08, 09:43 AM
Very wise Tony.

AZSonicSnake
11-21-08, 12:56 PM
thanks. i told her when we looked at the last car, if we cannot commit to spending a little more to get a little more car, maybe this is not the time. so, gonna put a large sum of the money in a savings account that makes good intrest (forgot the name of those accounts, sorry!), and we will keep looking, and let our money grow a little, and in the mean time gain alot more knowledge, and really find the exact car we want.

1966PonyGirl
11-21-08, 10:05 PM
good call! and the savings thingy is called ING, i believe. that would be your best bet. prolly grab a stang when the economy starts getting a bit better.

HanksGT
11-25-08, 11:22 PM
Talk to Dan M at VAPA

yeah, i dunno. i am having trouble with the money part. need some knowledgeable people to confirm that a car in that shape is worth that money. will make deciding to spend that much, much more easier.

HIKER
11-28-08, 07:46 PM
Keep lookin... A lot of people are hurtin for money these days and selling stuff they don't need cheap.

I just bought a huge GI Joe collection of over 250 Joes for $1000. These are 12" joes too, all MIB.

AZSonicSnake
11-29-08, 03:31 PM
yeah, we are keepin an eye out. not activly lookin at cars anymore though. took care of a few other things, and what not. but come spring time we will probably start actively looking again.

1966PonyGirl
12-01-08, 09:28 AM
the beginng of spring should be a good time. lot more cars coming out when its not so cold.