PDA

View Full Version : Racing

AZSaleen04
11-11-08, 07:59 AM
My Cobra Conversion is a few weeks away from getting a final tune and some little pieces needed to finish up.

I would like to take the car on the track however I'm not sure what the car needs to have as far as rules. The mods are listed here and I would have no idea what the car could run. It being a convertible are the rules any different? I really don't want to have to put a cage in the car just to race it. As you can tell I've never taken a car on the track...however it's been a goal of mine to accomplish.

I don't think street tires will do it either but I'm not sure on that.

AZSonicSnake
11-11-08, 08:07 AM
well, for a convertable, 13.49 or lower and you need a cage per the nhra rules. and that beast should have little trouble completely demolishing that number. sometimes on club days and what not out at speedworld they will let that slide though. you also will need a fire jacket since that is not the factory supercharger on the car, along with a helmet since it will go below 14 flat. i would suggest a pair of drag radials to atleast attempt to get traction. that is gonna be a battle though with that power level.

AZSaleen04
11-11-08, 08:19 AM
Thanks Tony! I am waiting to finish up the tune and work out the bugs before I stop by. Will they let me make one run to see what the car does or they know what it should be running?

Do I need a driveshaft loop? Also would I need a 6 point cage?

I guess I need to look for 2 wheels and start looking into drag radials as my rear tires are brand new. Any suggestions?

Thanks

BLK03SVT
11-11-08, 06:24 PM
Yup, like Tony said you're best bet is a club day for running your vert. At speedworld I made a few passes in the mid 12's at the last club day without anyone giving me trouble. I've heard Firebird wouldn't tolerate it at all.

AZSonicSnake
11-11-08, 07:59 PM
a driveshaft loop would not be needed unless you ran slicks. with drag radials, you will not need one. i would definetly suggest finding some 17x9's and throwing some good ol mickey thompson dr's on there for your track visit. you will not be happy tryin to make those street tires work. and for the 6-point cage, well to be totally legal, you'd need one. bu if you make it out on a club day, i have seen them let this slide.

as for them knowing what it will run, doubt it. they will have an idea, based on what the car is, and what the horse power is. but honestly, till you run it, its hard to say exactly. alot is gonna depend on your driving. and i am not meaning to say the negatively, but when your dealing with higher horsepower levels, its all in the driving, and shifting, and most importantly, the launching.

AZSaleen04
11-11-08, 08:45 PM
Thanks and I really understand what you are saying. I'm not sure I'm ready put in the cage in the car. Thanks Mike and Tony!

Is there a schedual of club dates? Tony after January I might have to take a trip down with you to the track when you do go.

Any suggestions on the MT's tire size?

Thanks!

03cobrazzz
11-12-08, 07:12 PM
Thanks and I really understand what you are saying. I'm not sure I'm ready put in the cage in the car. Thanks Mike and Tony!

Is there a schedual of club dates? Tony after January I might have to take a trip down with you to the track when you do go.

Any suggestions on the MT's tire size?

Thanks!275/40/17 or 315/35/17 nitto or preferd mickey t's

BOOMSHAKALAKA
11-12-08, 09:58 PM
i know firebird is extremely strict on their rules....
so for a convert. after a cage and jacket (for 13.49) what else would someone need say if they ran 10's or something like that.
or is there a link with the rules?

AZSonicSnake
11-12-08, 10:07 PM
i say jacket because of the aftermarket power adder. that is a must no matter what time your car runs. with his car, i would not even bother with a trip to firebird. i doubt they'd even let him run. 11.49 is where you need a 6-point roll bar for a coupe, but its 13.49 for vert's. as said though, speedworld has been known to let that slide on club days, which are held on sundays.

www.speedworlddragstrip.com (http://www.speedworlddragstrip.com) has some good stuff on thier site as far as rules and what not go. check under "participate" and "drag Racing Jumpstart". some good info there...

AZSaleen04
11-12-08, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the advice. I have to really think about it if I want to put a cage in a vert.

Do you think I can get away with my jacket from the fire dept from 3 years ago or should I go and buy a jacket?

4Jenna
11-13-08, 12:56 AM
No you need a sfi jacket.

Get a jacket and some tires and take the car to speedworld and see what it runs, only way to know!
Then you can go based off your ET / MPH to see what other saftey equip you will need.

You will be able to get a few runs in at Speedworld, and they will warn you to slow it down before you are booted if you run under your allowed time.

-Chris

AZSaleen04
11-13-08, 08:13 AM
Thanks Chris it might be worth giving it a shot before club day.

AZSaleen04
11-19-08, 10:39 PM
Do you guys know what point roll cage I will need for the vert?

I just spoke with Rob formerly from SVC and he will custom build me a cage and then have it powercoated.

Will a 4 point cage work?

AZSonicSnake
11-19-08, 10:40 PM
has to be a 6 point. but it can have swing out door bars that you can remove.

AZSaleen04
11-19-08, 10:59 PM
man!!! Thanks Tony. I don't want those side bars as I use to have them in my 69 Camaro and they were a pain in the ass. I did have them swingining out.

Thanks will have to see what I can figure out.

TruBluScreamer
11-20-08, 09:15 AM
ok some friendly advice from someone that works at speedworld..... Definitely wear a jacket as per the aftermarket power adder rule..... and definitely go to the club day.... We're a little more "laxed" seein as youre a member of a club and not some kid takin out mommy and daddys car for a joy ride!!!!

I cant wait to see you out there and see what that thing can do!!!

AZSaleen04
11-24-08, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the great advice I appreciate it. I'll buy a jacket and order my MT Drag Radials.

I'm not expecting any great times as I've never raced before so figuring out the light and all other things will be a bit of a challange. I've had some real fast cars before however never made it out to the track.

I'll be happy with whatever the results are as I have the car set up the way I want.