PDA

View Full Version : The mods begin!

88BlownGT
01-06-09, 10:05 PM
So I never got a chance between school and work to get an update. Ever since fixing the head gasket problem, everything is running extremely smooth and no issues. Now time to begin the upgrades. I was looking at the stock inlet tubing and such. I've heard many insights on the stock housing with just a drop in K&N will work just as fine if not better than a CAI. Several magazines have also tested and found no HP gains on some kits such as Moroso and found issues with "heat soak" on BBK and MAC. I'm unaware of any authenticity to these claims but I thought I'd ask around. What's the best cold air induction for my fox? Its speed density as well, so my MAF placement is obviously not an issue (for lack of one.)

Any thoughts?:hi:

Jacostang
01-07-09, 07:45 PM
I have the Mac on my 87 and the filter is in the fender well so there is no heat soak there and gets the protection form all the grime!! Open up and say ahhhhhh!

88BlownGT
01-07-09, 08:28 PM
Lmao thanks for the input Jaco. :laughing: Anyone else?

White90GT
01-07-09, 10:23 PM
A K&N in the stock air box will flow more air than most N/A 302's will use and the tubing doesn't heat soak like a shiney metal tube will. Of course it doesn't look as fast as that shiney metal tube does though.

You could always head on down to a Home Depot and get some 3" black ABS piping and put your own cone filter in the fender. That setup will flow more air than you're going to use and keep the filter out of the engine bay and avoiding the hotter under hood air.

Torchmach
01-09-09, 07:30 PM
How big is your throttle body?????

The stock ones were 58mm, if the motor is stock, or lightly moded gowith 65mm. Then look into a CAI, lot of people worry about heat soak with the metal tube type CAI's, but the air will be moving thru fast enough at higher RPM's that heat soak won't be an issue.

88BlownGT
01-10-09, 06:12 PM
Thanks alot Torch. I did not know I could move up to a 65mm on the stock upper intake. That'll encourage me to add a CAI as well. :woot1:

Jacostang
01-10-09, 08:07 PM
Crap, yeah I missed that Darel a 65 will help for sure....

Torchmach
01-11-09, 10:07 AM
Thanks alot Torch. I did not know I could move up to a 65mm on the stock upper intake. That'll encourage me to add a CAI as well.

Is you exhaust system stock? If you have done some minor exhaust work (Cut in some Flowmaster 40's), then a CAI, and 65 mm throttle body, your going to see some good bang for the buck performance improvments.

Some of the most popular Fox performance improvments for the budget minded are:

Low temp (180) high performance thermostat
(Mr Gasket has a good one) Did you replace the Radiator hoses when you replaced the head gasket? This would be a good time to upgrade to Ford Racings blue silicone hose kit. The cooling system is a weak link on Foxes.

High Volume fuel pump.
The Stock one flows 88 liters per hour barly adequate for stock applications. They should be replaced every 60,000
miles anyway. 110 lph should be good.

CAI kit

Throttle body and EGR spacer

Underdrive Pulley Set
Reduces the unnessary speed of your alternator, and waterpump, freeing up 8-10 Hp

Aftermarket Shifter (If manual transmission)
Lots of them on the market, some better than others, but all are better than stock. No more missed 2nd to 3rd shifts.

There are lots of other improvements you can make. These you should be able to do yourself for $200, or less. BBK has been in the Fox Mustang Performance Market since the begining, and has good products. There are many other Manufactures that are reputable, Steeda comes to mind. Have fun, and keep us posted.

88BlownGT
01-11-09, 06:19 PM
Actually Torch, all of the above mentioned modification are on my "To Do" list. I'm in the process of ordering my exhaust as of last night. BBK 1 5/8th inch ceramic shorties, BBK O/R X Pipe, SLP LM1 catback.

Then my plan is BBK CAI with 65mm TB.
March Underdrive pulleys.
Pro 5.0 Short shifter.
Electric Fan.

And then finally convert to Mass Air so I can begin working on H/C/I. Are there any other mods I can do before I move to Mass Air? I was gonna throw in gears as well.

Torchmach
01-11-09, 08:55 PM
Actually Torch, all of the above mentioned modification are on my "To Do" list. I'm in the process of ordering my exhaust as of last night. BBK 1 5/8th inch ceramic shorties, BBK O/R X Pipe, SLP LM1 catback.

Then my plan is BBK CAI with 65mm TB.
March Underdrive pulleys.
Pro 5.0 Short shifter.
Electric Fan.

And then finally convert to Mass Air so I can begin working on H/C/I. Are there any other mods I can do before I move to Mass Air? I was gonna throw in gears as well.

It would be a good idea to go to Mass Air first, If it is on your "To Do" list. Mass Air can compensate your tune, for performance changes, better than speed density. Some CAI kits are Mass Air, or Speed Density specific too.

BTW, you might want to rethink the SLP catback. I know someone who had the full LM-1 system on a 04' Mach 1, and replaced it, due to headaches caused by droaning inside the car (I could hear him two blocks behind me too). Can't go wrong with Bassani, Borla, or Magnaflow. All are quality systems. Magnaflow is on the quite side, Bassani has lots of fans.

88BlownGT
01-12-09, 12:07 AM
Theres a distinct difference on the sound between a 5.0 and a 4.6 on the LM-1. From the reviews and videos I've seen I think I'll still go with em. I'm not looking for something quiet and Bassani is more expensive than the SLP. :wacky1:

Jacostang
01-12-09, 09:06 AM
You could stiffin the chassi and get some Maximum Motorsports subs and strut brace and you will notice the change immediatly!!

88BlownGT
01-12-09, 02:44 PM
Thanks again Jaco!

Torchmach
01-12-09, 06:21 PM
You could stiffin the chassi and get some Maximum Motorsports subs and strut brace and you will notice the change immediatly!!

Can't go wrong with Maximum Motorsports, dispite the higher cost. I had a set of full length subframe connectors installed on my '04 Mach, and notaced a difference on the way home (Thanks Shane, good work).

Foxes are known for their chassis flex. I'm thinking of getting MM Full Length Subframes, 3 point shock tower brace, and the K member reinforcing bar for my '88 GT.

88BlownGT
01-12-09, 06:34 PM
I haven't really thought about my suspension setup at all. Any suggestions?