PDA

View Full Version : Need Shock and rotor advice

Mr. Austin
02-10-09, 05:03 PM
Howdy all!

just curious on what sock set up is the best for like a normal everyday driver.

1st.I have look at the $20 sheepy peices and i have heard KYB is great for the muscle cars

2nd. looking to get my rotors turned where is a good place to go? deffinatly looking for price busters as well!!

Thanks in advance!!!!

Steve2000GT
02-10-09, 07:50 PM
checkers turns rotors for 10 bucks a rotor.

Mr. Austin
02-11-09, 11:49 AM
so i have heard. and when i put them back on should i grease everything back up? i dont really know whats involved after the rotors are turned

Steve2000GT
02-11-09, 02:45 PM
technically , you should change the pads if you are gonna re surface the rotors, get some disk brake lube and lubricate all the sliding / contact points if you end up replacing the pads as well, if you are just putting rotors on you dont need to really do anything.

Mr. Austin
02-11-09, 11:17 PM
yeah i probably need to go through them.

As for shocks i am looking at the KYB monotube Gas-A-just Shocks

Mr. Austin
02-19-09, 02:21 PM
Ok so i got under the car ith five can of degreeser, sponges, screw drivers, and a tooth brush i am still using (jk). I realized my shock are old for shocks but have very few miles on there and with the very low pay job i have id be better off with keeping the money for gas. Now i have a squeak coming from the left side inside the tire well. it was there before but latley (over a feew months) have been getting worse. origonally i thought it was the shock because everytime i hit a bump or turn the tire and the car leans a little they will squeak. but if the suspension is not moving I.E. really smooth road then they a quiet. Any ideas? A-arm possibly?

HIKER
02-19-09, 03:05 PM
Spray WD40 or silicone on every moving part including UCA, LCA, sway bar ends. spring perches(sp), and shock mounts.

Mr. Austin
02-19-09, 10:26 PM
Very cool! thanks!! ill post and let you know how it works!! thanks!!!!

Torchmach
02-21-09, 06:53 PM
Now i have a squeak coming from the left side inside the tire well. it was there before but latley (over a feew months) have been getting worse. origonally i thought it was the shock because everytime i hit a bump or turn the tire and the car leans a little they will squeak. but if the suspension is not moving I.E. really smooth road then they a quiet. Any ideas? A-arm possibly?

I hate being the bearer of bad news but, it maybe that your upper control arms are cracked. I had the same situation with my 72' coupe, and ended up putting the Car into storage because the brakes, steering, and suspension were all worn out. I have Koni shocks on it, which gave it a go-cart like ride, and drove it like the General Lee, in Dukes of Hazard, though (Kind of miss those days!!).

Good Luck, and keep us posted.

Mr. Austin
02-22-09, 12:09 AM
Well i ay have the same issues.... my steering pops and creeks. by breaks whistle ( not screech whistle) and now my suspension is making noise.

HanksGT
02-22-09, 11:07 PM
Upper control arm bushings. I replaced them on my '69 (way back when) and used the kits that had zirc fittings on them.

I'm using Koni's on the '89 and love them.

Ok so i got under the car ith five can of degreeser, sponges, screw drivers, and a tooth brush i am still using (jk). I realized my shock are old for shocks but have very few miles on there and with the very low pay job i have id be better off with keeping the money for gas. Now i have a squeak coming from the left side inside the tire well. it was there before but latley (over a feew months) have been getting worse. origonally i thought it was the shock because everytime i hit a bump or turn the tire and the car leans a little they will squeak. but if the suspension is not moving I.E. really smooth road then they a quiet. Any ideas? A-arm possibly?

Mr. Austin
02-22-09, 11:17 PM
Whats the difficulty and time consumption on a project like that?

HanksGT
02-23-09, 08:19 AM
You can probably google it and find a good article. You'll need a coil spring compressor and some good hand tools. Maybe 4 to 6 hours (but it was in the 80's when I did mine).

Whats the difficulty and time consumption on a project like that?