PDA

View Full Version : 4.6 problem

daddybadguys
02-16-09, 07:08 PM
i have a 2000 gt my motor is making a knocking noise from the bottom end it has 135000 miles on it i was wondering if it would be easier t swap ot the motor or repair the problem i think it is rod or something please advise i was wonderig if a crwn vic motor was the same

BurnTire
02-17-09, 07:07 AM
You have pull it and see what the problem is first. With that mileage a rebuild is probably necessary. Not sure about the crown vic.

Ruckus46gt
02-17-09, 01:40 PM
thing about modular motors is everything is interchangable basically. The difference between the models are basically material of block, and heads intake. That is why you can make a 2v a 4v etc. Have to look into what little parts you need to also change though thats were everything starts to add up

D3VST8R96GT
03-29-09, 04:36 PM
for the crown vic....depends on the year ....some come with 4 bolt mains ..others have variations ...that what i've read

if your not gonna run boost or anything its shouldnt concern you to much i guess

Boosted46
03-29-09, 04:41 PM
The troubles you'll run into are small and annoying but not impossible to overcome. I believe the intake/tb for a crown vic is on the drivers side so you'll need to reuse your top end pieces. The belt accessories and oil pan are likely different as well. The longblock itself should be a direct replacement though. You will want to take note of the flywheel bolt pattern too. Not sure if you're reusing your clutch but it will either have a 6 or 8 bolt pattern. I believe vics had romeo motors though so it likely has a 6 bolt... Hope this helps some

WildBill
03-29-09, 11:20 PM
i have a 2000 gt my motor is making a knocking noise from the bottom end it has 135000 miles on it i was wondering if it would be easier t swap ot the motor or repair the problem i think it is rod or something please advise i was wonderig if a crwn vic motor was the same

It shouldn't matter, but your engine in your GT is prolly a Windsor, not a Romeo. I have no Idea if Windsor modmotors were ever put in crown vics.

Mr. Austin
03-30-09, 12:14 AM
just did this to my motor and ill give you a straight up answer that no one is really givin. if its a higher pitched sound its your top end like a tick or knocking if its your lower end it will be making a more clunk sound. the clunk at that many mile would be you barrings. a high pitch would be like a push rod. thats like a ticking. and knocking would be a lifter. ticking also could be coming from an exhaust leak. all depend on the sound. what pitch. what velocity. and the strength of the sound... no one can really tell you what it is for sure over email. you would need to meet up with someone and allow them to listen. like i said. i JUST went through this with a 40 year old motor. these are the "common" things that it could be... Hope it helps a little.

fazm
03-30-09, 12:17 AM
if the noise is a pushrod thats definately a prob since he dont have any :)

as far as rebuilding it vs. putting in a used motor. putting in a used motor is probably easier/cheaper

Mr. Austin
03-30-09, 12:18 AM
oh sorry thats true (ahahaha). sorry im still in the old car mind frame... (im kicking my self about now)