PDA

View Full Version : When looking at oil

Mr. Austin
02-22-09, 08:11 PM
compared to what the dragger's on this site use this question is nothing but im curious as the time is coming around again.

When i change my oil i usually get four quarts of Big V (valvoline) and then for added protection i make the fifth quart Lucas oil. Last time the oil sat for ever with out running so a bought an extra quart of big V to flush out the gunk. So out of curiosity is their something better? something i should use instead. I use 10w-40 and it is the origonal motor with no rebuild and 84,000 miles... I have been told to try using a lighter oil because of the heat down here.. any tips?

ThePunisher95
02-22-09, 09:49 PM
I go to wal-mart and buy the Motorcraft Synthetic blend 5w-30 or 10w-30 dependong on what they have. Never had any problems. Hell its even cheaper than with my Carquest Discount.

AZSonicSnake
02-22-09, 09:59 PM
i had always used valvoline in my 69 cougar. i tend to stick to motorcrafts semi synthetic blend in everything i daily drive now. only my cobra gets full synthetic. i go to walmart as well, as they have the best price on the mobil 1 and motorcraft oils that i use.

White90GT
02-22-09, 11:29 PM
I run Amsoil oil and a two stage filtration system on my toy and have never had an issue. On my daily driver I use Amsoil and a regular amsoil filter, I do the same on my wifes vehicle.

Ruckus46gt
02-23-09, 05:31 AM
Mobile 1 5w30 and I'm even lazy most of the time and let they put it in at walmart. Its the like a dollar more

Mr. Austin
02-23-09, 01:18 PM
So if i run a 10w-40 would it be an advantage to run a 10w-30?

ThePunisher95
02-25-09, 09:31 AM
I dont think so, but thats just my o2's

HIKER
02-25-09, 09:56 AM
Mobile 1 5w30 and I'm even lazy most of the time and let them put it in at walmart. Its the like a dollar more

Now you're asking for trouble.....lol

Stangme
02-25-09, 10:12 AM
Have been told by a mechanic that you should not mix different weights of oil as they will seperate somewhat like water does with oil if it sits. Also that you should not mix different brands of oil as the properties may be different. Not positive short or long term what it will do to the life or performance of an engine if these are done, just passing on someones view. I personally use Synthetic oils rather then the basic stock oil.

HIKER
02-25-09, 03:14 PM
I've been using using basic stock brand name oil for over 35 years and have never had any problems. If you change your oil every 3-5K miles you'll have no problem with basic brand name oil. I have 200K miles on my truck and always change my oil every 3-4K miles and you can slide your finger inside the oil cap and there's no sludge.

My Mustang I just sold I changed the oil every 1500-2000 miles, that was about the time it started to turn dark and it was spotless underneath the valve covers.

Personally I have never bought into the hype of syn oils unless you like to change oil every 10K+ miles.

4Jenna
02-25-09, 05:30 PM
I also have always ran conventional oil with no issues

Mr. Austin
02-25-09, 07:19 PM
Have been told by a mechanic that you should not mix different weights of oil as they will seperate somewhat like water does with oil if it sits. Also that you should not mix different brands of oil as the properties may be different. Not positive short or long term what it will do to the life or performance of an engine if these are done, just passing on someones view. I personally use Synthetic oils rather then the basic stock oil.

Are you regarding to me mixing the 4 courts of Big V with the Lucas?

IMSHAKN
02-25-09, 07:35 PM
On something like your car I'd stick with a conventional oil with the same viscosity as you've been using. No need to change something that's working for you. The most important thing is changing it regularly unless it's subject to special conditions such as a lot of stop and go driving or racing. Then I'd look into a higher grade oil.

Mr. Austin
02-26-09, 10:11 PM
no its everyday. i use the 10w 40 wich is regular oil and the lucas is to help my rings and valves because the car is 40 years ad no rebuild so everything is shot and i have noticed huge difference with lucas running with her