PDA

View Full Version : Engine breaking up...

88BlownGT
03-07-09, 02:44 PM
I could use some help ladies and gents. After putting the full exhaust on and readjusting the timing to 15 degrees with 93 in the tank, I took off down the road. Everytime I try and get into WOT it'll climb to 5k RPMs and fall off, like I've hit a rev limiter and won't have any more go. I don't know what to do so far cept maybe consider an electrical problem. Fuel pressure set at 39psi.

Torchmach
03-07-09, 08:07 PM
Sounds like any other Fox Mustang to me, even with the mods you have on it right now. I have allways said that it feels like someone in the passenger seat reached over, and shut the ignition off at 5,000 rpm.

Ford didn't have deep breathing capacity designed into the motor. You need to open up the induction end too. A CAI kit, and 65mm throttle body, will help, An aftermarked intake, cam, and cylinder heads will help even more. Get the idea where this is going ($$$$$$$$$).

The stock E7TE cylinder heads were originally designed for 351W F-150 Pickup Truck motors, with lots of bottom end torque for pulling. Still they were better breathers than the E6AE heads used before 87'. There are machine shops that, on an exchange bases, can sell you a set of cast iron cylinder heads that have been ported, and fitted with larger valves. It is more cost effective than aluminum aftermarket heads, and a big improvement of stock E7's.

Good Luck, have fun, and keep us posted on your progress.

txbkr
03-08-09, 08:36 AM
It's your ignition module. Same thing happened to mine.

Jacostang
03-08-09, 09:51 AM
Yup Darel is right about it falling on its face at 5,000. With the timing @15 its gonna need some more help to get the results that you are looking for....Txbkr is on it too, The Ignition is a very good place to start if you have not done so already, the stock one cannot keep up with what your wanting it to do.

88BlownGT
03-08-09, 10:19 AM
Then what am I lookin at to replace? I have an MSD Blaster coil, new cap and rotor, spark plugs and wires. Distributor next?

DVSRICK
03-10-09, 02:13 AM
Torch is right. I run the E7's now and at 5200 my power band drops like a ski slope!! Heads and a cam will solve your problem very easy!!! here is a flow chart if it helps in deciding what heads you want !

http://www.thatmetalbox.com/automotive/sbf_head_flow.pdf

fazm
03-10-09, 10:10 AM
you guys are lucky to get that high before power fell off. in my 83 5.0 glx power fell off at like 4500 lol.

88BlownGT
03-12-09, 02:46 PM
Figured out the issue, no vacuum was getting to the FPR, as it was hooked up to the wrong place. Fixed and now works like a charm.