PDA

View Full Version : Firebird 3-20

04WhininCobra
03-18-09, 06:27 PM
im going out to firebird this friday with Andy(IMSHAKN). time to find out what the car is capable of with the new mods.

anyone else planning on going or want to?

IMSHAKN
03-18-09, 06:30 PM
Sweet. Track day.

AZSonicSnake
03-18-09, 07:58 PM
wish i had some bogart lug nuts. i want to hit the track badly right now.

krazyazian
03-18-09, 08:31 PM
A few of us from Tucson are going up Sat for the TNT. Good luck to you guys!

99_venom
03-18-09, 08:47 PM
I am taking my Cobra up to Firebird Saturday night the 21st. They are starting to do Saturday night drags now. Anybody been up there on a Saturday night? The guys from work say it is not as busy as Friday nights. We are having the Annual Honeywell QMC event this weekend.

Haven't had the Cobra to the quarter mile for over a year. Wonder if it will still do 11's? Actually I wonder if I can row it to 11's, haven't driven the 6-speed much. Got kind of spoiled with the automatic in the Lightning.

04WhininCobra
03-18-09, 09:32 PM
i would like to go on saturday but im going out to dinner with my girlfriends family and i know better not to bail on that one!

krazyazian
03-18-09, 09:47 PM
We were planning on going Friday until we checked their website and saw the Sat TNT. It works out better for us because that's alot of guys trying to bone out of work early on a Friday.

IMSHAKN
03-19-09, 04:22 AM
wish i had some bogart lug nuts. i want to hit the track badly right now.

When did you get bogarts and ditch the old setup?

Ask bill if you can borrow some. Louise isn't going anywhere anytime soon. :laughing:

wickedcobra
03-19-09, 08:23 AM
Ok, one question. Can you run at FB without a front bumper cover?

IMSHAKN
03-19-09, 12:18 PM
That I am not sure of. That would be a question I think they'd have to answer. I can't imagine why not so long as there are no loose parts.

wickedcobra
03-19-09, 12:32 PM
i might be there then.

04WhininCobra
03-20-09, 04:41 PM
anyone else planning on going?

desslok40
03-21-09, 09:58 AM
I went, its funny, the week before they were packed, I got 3 runs in, this week alot less people and still only 3 runs? lol

IMSHAKN
03-22-09, 01:09 AM
I got five runs in even though I parked the car for several long periods in the pits. My only complaint was that there was a lack of communication when it came to the water box. My first passed I got no help finding the damn box and I ended up dragging water up onto the track since the fronts were radial tires after backing up too far as I had no help determining my position in the water box. Other than that Firebird wasn't nearly as bad as it has been the last couple times I've been out.

That being said, I'll make the 140 mile round trip out to Speedworld any day over the 36 mile round trip to Firebird. :yes:

04WhininCobra
03-22-09, 01:13 AM
i agree with you. i wasnt too thrilled with the whole night. hoping for more out of the car but oh well.

speed world definitely has my vote.

93mustank
03-22-09, 03:13 AM
What everyone run??

wickedcobra
03-22-09, 11:18 AM
What everyone run??

yeah, lets hear times

desslok40
03-22-09, 11:46 AM
13.7 for me, spinning at start, even with a decent burnout and DRs !! It seems I can't get a better time at Firebird, I am almost 1/2 second faster at Speedworld, so WTF!!!

+1 for Speedworld (its a haul but I think worth it) , I think I am going to Ford day 3/29

04WhininCobra
03-22-09, 01:27 PM
i ran a 13.03. i was pretty bummed cause i was getting the same times at speed world BEFORE i got my pulley, intake and tune. i guess i just need to heat the tires up more cause i was having traction issues. i want my 12 pretty damn bad now.

93mustank
03-22-09, 01:29 PM
What mph????/

04WhininCobra
03-22-09, 02:25 PM
111 mph. the 60 ft is what really kills me. i was just worried to about breaking something cause im broke right now. my 60 was 2.36 ha.

99_venom
03-22-09, 03:11 PM
My best was a 12.01 on a hot lap. Got there and ran right away. It was pulling good but like an idiot I left the seat way back so my arm was straight out in third. I actually pulled it out of third just after I shifted. Threw it into fourth and ran a 12.7. That's why I did the hot lap for the 12.01.

Then I let is sit until the sun went down and let it completely cool off. I switched the tune to add 3 degrees of timing and put in a fresh bottle. Sat in the staging lines while they prepped the track so I figured I was just going to lay into off the line. I usually just ease into it off the line because of the IRS. Well I staged and kicked the revs up, on the last yellow I dummped it and it pretty much just sat there. I thought at first I spun, but then the wonderful wiff of burnt clutch came up through the car. So I ran it on down the track for a 14 second run and drove it home.

I have hated that clutch ever since it was put in. It was a McCleod that SVC put in years ago and it never has felt good. I had a nice centerforce dual friction in there and SVC dropped it while putting my aluminum flywheel in and I ended up with this piece of junk.

I guess now it is time to go back to a Spec clutch. I am thinking Spec Stage 3 since it is not a daily driver.

Over all I was pleased with the car's performance, a 12.01 on a granny shifted hot lap when it was still warm out on a half full bottle. I think I would have had a pretty good run if the clutch hadn't taken a crap.

IMSHAKN
03-23-09, 01:38 AM
I ran a could 12.9s with a best 60 of the night a 1.69. The mph was 4-5 mph low every run.

First run of the night went horribly as there was a lack of communication at the burnout box resulting in me doing a poor burnout and me being all frustrated I screwed up on the launch. I went ahead and kept things the same for the next run and when I dumped the clutch at 6500 the car dead hooked resulting in a slight bog, but still brought me a 12.96 @ 103mph with a1.69 60' time.

I then made the mistake of deciding that I should explore some different air pressures in the slicks and went from the 15 psi I was running to 12 psi with no other adjustments. Ran and the front of the car was bouncing up and down a couple times during the launch and the tires broke free for a second. Decided that I needed to firm up the suspension. The rest of the runs were 12.9s with 1.73ish 60' times. The car felt stronger, but it just wasn't there on the launches as at 12 psi I started turning the slicks on the wheels.

wickedcobra
03-23-09, 08:23 AM
All I will say is its a whole lot harder than it seems. I cant wait to get out there again.

04WhininCobra
03-23-09, 05:11 PM
i definitely want to go back out before its gets too hot. im dying to get into the 12s.