PDA

View Full Version : water pump question

gambit90lx
04-12-09, 02:09 PM
just changed my water pump and thermostat and replaced electric fan....now either my temp gauge doesnt work or something is wrong....hand never moves above 130 degrees...and also if anyone knows much about electric fans but i cant get mine to shut off...its runs all the time...got it wired just like it says and i dont want to use a manual switch any suggestions?

Mr. Austin
04-12-09, 02:35 PM
im in the same boat. i have just redone all my thermo and water. found out the hard way that chrome doesnt seal right. i have a chrome thermo and no one told me they are crap. and i think u have to give the water pump some water pump lube. or break it in. mine was slo at first and the temp was high now its runnin much better. not sure it helped but...

1966PonyGirl
04-12-09, 02:45 PM
i had bought a new thermo stat once, died in 6 mos... then when i put in the new one i had a COMPLETE blonde moment and put the thing in backwards (dumb!) once i fliped it, it was fine. i installed a water pump and never put in water pump lube.

For the fan, you might need to see how you have it wired. it sounds like its on an "always hot" wire. now for the gauge..... not too sure. there has got to be a way to test that.

gambit90lx
04-12-09, 02:53 PM
just making sure though but doesnt the spring end go toward the block of the car?

1966PonyGirl
04-12-09, 03:50 PM
I think so. I try and pay more attention on how i take it out. i am still considered a rookie in this rodeo. :redface:

Mr. Austin
04-12-09, 11:26 PM
yes the spring goes into the manifold and the arrow tip goes out towards the front. What measures the head is the copper peice inside the spring and when it get to the marked temperature I.E. mine is a 190* thermo. when it gets to that temp it opens up. when it open the "Cooler" water from the radiator comes gushing into the block and replaces the hot water. that why on old car if you watch the temp it will get really hot and then dip back down. (maybe not all cars but mine does.)

AODGTVert
04-16-09, 04:22 PM
i had bought a new thermo stat once, died in 6 mos... then when i put in the new one i had a COMPLETE blonde moment and put the thing in backwards (dumb!) once i fliped it, it was fine. i installed a water pump and never put in water pump lube.

For the fan, you might need to see how you have it wired. it sounds like its on an "always hot" wire. now for the gauge..... not too sure. there has got to be a way to test that.

Everyone has those moments. :biglaugh: