PDA

View Full Version : H or X pipes???

paysonpony
04-16-09, 12:38 AM
Ok, this is probably a stupid question but here it is:
My stock exhaust setup looks extremely close the "H" and or the "X" pipe setup, what makes them so different and what are the advantages????
Looking under my car today while it was up on the rack for an oil change, I looked over my stock Mustang GT's exhaust setup and I didn't see much difference in stock -vs- H or X pipe setups. What is the big deal in changing it out???

Thanks,
Keith

billyboss
04-16-09, 09:04 AM
I replaced the stock h-pipe on my car with an x-pipe,it just changes the power band is what I noticed,I feel like it lost some torque, but gained some higher rpm power. I don't know if that is what the difference is supposed to be,it also changed the exhaust sound,it actually quieted it down,however the shelby gt's come with an x-pipe instead of the standard gt's h-pipe.and the majority of mustang aftermarket exhaust use an x-pipe,so there must be some advantage to it

Blackmagic1
04-16-09, 09:42 AM
Like BillyBoss said ,a little hp in high rpm's. I personally like the lower,throaty sound of the hpipe/ I believe on the GT500 KR they went with the H and standard GT500 had the X. (Any GT500 owners that can confirm this ?)

El Jefe
04-16-09, 12:23 PM
The H has a crossover pipe that tends to give any exhaust a deeper tone than would an X pipe. X pipes tend to be a little raspy when not catted.

Your stock pipe is most likely 2.25" and bent in many places and most aftermarkets are 2.5" or 3" mandrel bent thus giving you more power

AODGTVert
04-16-09, 04:23 PM
I have the X setup on my 5.0 and I'm not disappointed.

88BlownGT
04-16-09, 06:06 PM
I have an O/R X pipe on my 5.0 and I'm EXTREMELY pleased with it. Screams and sounds great.

WildBill
04-17-09, 07:06 PM
ModMotors and old 5.0 engines are different animals. FEW 5.0 can take a REAL advantage of an X-pipe, due to the lower rpm operating range. That's why you almost never see one with an X-pipe.

The mid pipe in your car is pretty decent flowing, but I'd put a Prochamber mid-pipe and like a Borla XR-1 catback for a VERY sweet sound!

Remember....Exhaust sound is TOTALLY subjective!

AODGTVert
04-17-09, 07:13 PM
^If I get a valvebody for my aod that shifts at 5,500 at every gear, will that take advantage of the X? I know somebody who makes custom v/b's.