PDA

View Full Version : Axle Issues...

AZSonicSnake
05-18-09, 10:58 AM
so, after shooting sparks from the left rear on the dyno on saturday, i figured i might have a problem with the caliper spacing after putting in my truetrac diff. well, after pulling off the caliper, i am thankful what i found was my only issue. i could found this out in a much much worse way...

don't think that should be able to be done with the diff cover still on...

http://www.msprotege.com/members/AzMz6/cobra%20broken%20axle/0517091737.jpg

yikes!!

http://www.msprotege.com/members/AzMz6/cobra%20broken%20axle/0517091743.jpg

not sure how the hell that breaks, but it did! thankfully the caliper bracket retained things in, and kept what coulda been some horrible carnage to a minimum. you can look down the diff tube and see the c clip and the other part of the axle still chillin in there.

04WhininCobra
05-18-09, 12:54 PM
oh wow thats a lot worse than we all thought! im glad you caught it before something really bad happened.

WildBill
05-18-09, 01:07 PM
Lemme use this thread to STRESS to people, that if you have a rear brake noise or caliper spacing issue that comes up, check your axles!
I've been guilty in the past of ignoring that my calipers needed to be spaced out. Mine turned out to be a bent axle tube, which in turn bent and broke my axle when I took it to a sticky track. And I'm talking about Strange axles.

Glad to hear ya caught it in time Big T!!

AZSonicSnake
05-18-09, 01:49 PM
yea, i'm glad i caught it too! though honestly its been making that noise for the past 200+ miles. kinda scares me a little....

and mr bill, any good ways to check for a bent tube? this is the same side that i tore the bracket off on....

4Jenna
05-18-09, 04:29 PM
Wow, good catch Tony!

Jodaddy
05-18-09, 06:36 PM
Dude, you either distroyed the C clip or i dunno what kinda hell you put that rear end threw. THANK GOD you weren't driving and found out.

Take care Big T

WildBill
05-18-09, 11:44 PM
yea, i'm glad i caught it too! though honestly its been making that noise for the past 200+ miles. kinda scares me a little....

and mr bill, any good ways to check for a bent tube? this is the same side that i tore the bracket off on....

You may be able to tell when you try to install the axle on that side. If it's bent, it may be a bit more difficult to install the new axle. Keep Shane and I updated. I may have to come and get the car after you install the new axles and trailer it to an alignment shop and do a 4 wheel alignment.
OR you can take the whole rear out and you or I can take it to get it checked in a jig BEFORE you install the axles.

Lemme know BigT!

BurnTire
05-18-09, 11:55 PM
This is the reason I have 9" ends. I don't want to rely on calipers to retain my wheels.

Darryl Smith Race Cars can put an alignment bar thru it to check it for straightness. My axles went in and out fine when my rear end was bent like a banana.

WildBill
05-19-09, 07:29 AM
This is the reason I have 9" ends. I don't want to rely on calipers to retain my wheels.

Darryl Smith Race Cars can put an alignment bar thru it to check it for straightness. My axles went in and out fine when my rear end was bent like a banana.

Really? Can Darryl do that??? LOL!:biglaugh::biglaugh:

AZSonicSnake
05-19-09, 08:52 AM
well, i was talking to shane last night, and i went ahead and put the car back together for now, and the axle went right in with zero issues at all. so, whetever would be my best option. i have been thinking about c-clip eliminators, but can't find solid info as to wether i can retain my stock brakes and abs stuff.

WildBill
05-19-09, 09:48 AM
well, i was talking to shane last night, and i went ahead and put the car back together for now, and the axle went right in with zero issues at all. so, whetever would be my best option. i have been thinking about c-clip eliminators, but can't find solid info as to wether i can retain my stock brakes and abs stuff.

It's a hard choice Tony. Personally, I can't stand C-clip elims

AZSonicSnake
05-19-09, 09:52 AM
might i ask why?

WildBill
05-19-09, 10:27 AM
might i ask why?

Well..they USED to leak all the time, but SUPPOSEDLY a new design has that fixed.
Check your text msg. Shane and I have shot ya our input.

BurnTire
05-19-09, 01:14 PM
Really? Can Darryl do that??? LOL!:biglaugh::biglaugh: LOL You were there to see my banana tubes first hand. LOL

BurnTire
05-19-09, 01:18 PM

9" ends are the best way to go if you drive on the street. You will loose the ABS. Personally I don't notice the difference. When I was making the decision on dumping the ABS I just pull the fuse and tried it both ways.

I know Kevin at wicked performance back east has found a way to make the ABS work on 9" ends.

AZSonicSnake
05-19-09, 06:20 PM
yeah, not wanting to go all crazy race car on this car. i would like to reatin stuff like that. just gonna stick with the c-clip. the caliper held the axle in for allmost 300 miles, so.... i am not too horribly worried. plus the cobra won't be seein the amount of track time it use to see anymore.