PDA

View Full Version : Heads and Cams

Jodaddy
05-26-09, 12:07 AM
Need some advice on what cam's to get, ive always been a big fan of Comp Cams, specially their Thumper series, Since ill pretty much have the head taken apart i'd figure why not get it ported and polished, then take a swing by PSR and have them do a tune for it.

My question is, will new cam's make a noticable difference or would it be wasted money?

HigherPower
05-26-09, 03:38 AM
Id say porting heads and the addition of cams would make a pretty big difference. Before you chose a cam you need to ask yourself what you want to do with the car(Street,Strip). Once that is established then Id chose a cam. Comp NSR cams are great, they have two stages. Stage one cams have 214/227 duration @.050 with a 114 lobe separation and would work great on a car that is dd as they will fatten up your torque curve. The stage 2 has 222/235 degrees of duration @.050 with a 115.5 lobe separation and will give you more top end power. The stage 2 cams will have a little better lope to them as well. With any set of cams you go with Id would strongly recommend adding long tubes to maximize the power. It should be said that with either set of cams you should add comp's phaser limiter kit so you dont run into ptv clearence issues. Ive seen this first hand and its not pretty.

Blackmagic1
05-26-09, 10:21 AM
Need some advice on what cam's to get, ive always been a big fan of Comp Cams, specially their Thumper series, Since ill pretty much have the head taken apart i'd figure why not get it ported and polished, then take a swing by PSR and have them do a tune for it.

My question is, will new cam's make a noticable difference or would it be wasted money?
Sent you a PM

2nd2nunn
05-26-09, 01:55 PM
also keep in mind you will need a set of cam phaser Deletes (not limiters) for any cam upgrade that requires springs. as for the headers i would put you money else where you will see a power gain, unless you are looking for the sound. you may only see a 2-3 rwhp gain thought the mid range and thats about it. The comp stage 3 cams sound absolutely phenomenal and also make some good power.

WildBill
05-26-09, 09:47 PM
also keep in mind you will need a set of cam phaser Deletes (not limiters) for any cam upgrade that requires springs. as for the headers i would put you money else where you will see a power gain, unless you are looking for the sound. you may only see a 2-3 rwhp gain thought the mid range and thats about it. The comp stage 3 cams sound absolutely phenomenal and also make some good power.

Thanks Ernie.:pinkthumb:
On a 3V engine, when the cam mfg recommends springs, the overwhelming majority of performance shops recommend installing Cam Phaser LOCKS instead of the limiters.

The cam phasor "rattle" has still been known to occur with limiters. That "rattle can lead to vast part destruction.

HigherPower
05-26-09, 11:06 PM
Limiter, locks same kit. Call it what you want, comp calls them limiters.
http://www.compperformancegroupstores.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CC&Product_Code=5449&Category_Code=

WildBill
05-26-09, 11:39 PM
Limiter, locks same kit. Call it what you want, comp calls them limiters.
http://www.compperformancegroupstores.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CC&Product_Code=5449&Category_Code=

Ethan
They are two different things.
Limiters limit travel of the phasors to 20 degrees and the phasors still have to deal with the higher spring pressure and the possible malfunction of the oil pressure and the phasors rattling back and forth can still occur.

Phasor locks actually lock the cams in one position and the phasor can no longer control the timing of the cam therefore no problems with the phasors malfunctioning.

Believe it or not, the first run of the 05 3Vs had the phasors locked out because they knew there was a problem.

HigherPower
05-27-09, 03:04 AM
Mike, thanks for stopping by today, it was good talking to you. All I said in my first post was that comp makes a limiter kit and I'd suggest using it as do they. But hey what do I know, Im not the super tech.

Dan
05-27-09, 10:15 AM
im glad to see that some one was able to help you

05mustangman
05-28-09, 12:34 PM
I would trust PSR with my car hands down. and dan and ernie no that. I plan on doing the cam project soon along with some longtubes. mine will be used mainly just for street on weekends only. so nothing too radical but still pretty awesome. like dan said i think the stage3 comp cams would be awesome.

Ruckus46gt
05-28-09, 01:23 PM
cams on modulars are a lot of money, but gains are nice. I have a video on my myspace page on me running a 05 with cams only and his car went bottom 12's. Probely better off throwing a blower on for the same price. Heads will net you another 10-15 but thats about it. What kind of budget are you talking about

2nd2nunn
05-28-09, 01:33 PM
I would trust PSR with my car hands down. and dan and ernie no that. I plan on doing the cam project soon along with some longtubes. mine will be used mainly just for street on weekends only. so nothing too radical but still pretty awesome. like dan said i think the stage3 comp cams would be awesome.

stage 4 comp
YouTube - Stage 4 comp cam 06 Mustang GT (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_IWPZ4kQ44&feature=related)

stage 3 cams with stage 3 heads
YouTube - Dyno Pulls - Stage 3 Heads and Cams (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_J7Ly4fWxY)

thumper cams
YouTube - Dyno Pulls - Stage 3 Heads and Cams (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_J7Ly4fWxY)

05mustangman
05-28-09, 02:25 PM
well ive already got the kenne bell blower on the car so now im looking for some more. maybe a new internals kit is in the future.

Ruckus46gt
05-28-09, 06:45 PM
better off saving for a built motor then and doing it once instead of paying for cams and all the labor when for a couple grand more you have a built motor ready to take what you can dish at it. Thats what i'd do personally