PDA

View Full Version : Suspension for a classic

silverstanggt500
08-14-06, 12:05 PM
I have a 68 fastback and I am wanting to go to a newer suspension then the stock that I have. I have looked into the Total Control products Coil Over Conversion but that is so expensive for that stuff. I want to do rack-and-pinion steering, with coil overs for front and rear. Anyone have any suggestions on who else I could get this stuff from? I am just looking for a good stiff ride with as little leaning as possible, like the sports cars of today have.

AZSonicSnake
08-14-06, 01:46 PM
total control products is the company i was going to use to upgrade my 69 cougar. they have top notch stuff. its a little spendy, but your getting what you pay for. they have been around for sometime too, they are not just some fly by nite company.

silverstanggt500
08-14-06, 02:33 PM
I have seriously looked at them, but there is a place from Australia advertised in Mustang and Ford Magazine for front coil over suspension and theirs total deletes the upper control arm. It is interesting on how it does it but I thought about going with them, their kit comes with a tilt steering column. I will probably go with TCP though.

Lucafu1
08-14-06, 05:41 PM
im using a heidts kit and martz rear in my 66

silverstanggt500
08-15-06, 08:31 AM
How is the ride in your 6 Lucafu1? Uniqueperformance.com has a nice set up for the rear end, I thought about using but it is just so expensive. Does anyone know of any good electrical shop that are decent on labor costs? I want to replace all my wiring with a new Painless wiring kit, I have all the original wiring in my car.

Lucafu1
08-15-06, 04:47 PM
i dont know yet cause i havent installed it yet LOL. my car is stripped now and i will install the suspension after i do the body and cage. i got them both to make room for a turbo up front and big tires out back. no more leaf springs and im extending the wheel wells in. its alotta fun and work.

btw is your wiring messes up? it didnt take much time to rip all of mine out. it should be an easy weekend job.

silverstanggt500
08-16-06, 08:14 AM
My wiring isnt a mess, I installed new wiring from the fire wall forward because the fool at the mustang shop decided to cut the wiring from fire wall forward. My car was kind of a spare parts car until I got it. They hadnt dug into it too much so I got there in time. I just want to make the wiring new since i have part fairly new stuff and original stuff.

Dalamar
08-19-06, 12:10 AM
I'm building a 67, done the front suspension.
Got the weld in K, coil over setup, R&P steering ect.

Still deciding on what to do on the rear, time and money is a factor.

check it out.
the link is at the bottom of my sig.

Dalamar
11-29-06, 09:47 AM
Hows it coming Silverstang?
Any progress??

silverstanggt500
11-29-06, 10:24 AM
Nothing yet, my car is just coming out of body shop next month, then I will do the suspension upgrade. The body shop is taking longer then they said, but atleast its getting done right. A lot fo detail has gone into my car and I am very happy with the results so far. I am geting a digital camera from Christmas (I am not suppose to know) and I will post some pictures on here as soon as I get it.

HIKER
11-29-06, 01:36 PM
Any type of coil over setup is going to cost you an arm and a leg if not a first born. I talked to quite a few about it and decided to pass. There are other ways of going such as modified A-arms with bearings instead of rubber sleeves. And there are custom made A-arms and custom made lower control arms. Check out this site:

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/index.php?

Go to the forum. You'll find all sorts of suspension guys that make custom stuff. Lots of guys race vintage Stangs It's the best vintage Mustang forum out there.

silverstanggt500
11-29-06, 03:32 PM
this is the stuff I have thought about going with.

http://www.rrs-online.com/

Dalamar
12-01-06, 05:55 PM
Cool man, good luck with that.
Pics will be cool.

THat 3 link looks sweet on that link. should ride excellent.