PDA

View Full Version : 1973 Mustang Question

JoeT
07-31-09, 06:12 PM
What is the difference between a 1973 Mach1 or 1973 Sport Roof?

I have the chance to buy a 73 Mustang but there are some issues with the original vin # and so now it was registered since 1988 under Arizona Vin. Not sure I understand that really.

So the vin number the guy gave me doesn't make sense and so I'm trying to determine the difference of the 2 cars. Going to look at it on Monday, figured someone on these forums would know the difference.

Rev'n Kevin
07-31-09, 06:45 PM
In a nut shell, the Mach 1 was a sport roof, the main diff would have been paint, strips, aggressive front chin spoiler, domed hood, honeycomb grill, honeycomb back-panel applique and optional boss 302 type rear wing. Also look for the Mach 1 sports interior. Best of luck to you, I would suspect this was a sport roof project getting ready to build a Mach 1 clone, but hard to tell from the one picture.

JoeT
07-31-09, 06:53 PM
Well this is the VIN # he gave me, not sure its correct.
Z7VQ8A1590020 in trying to decode the vin about the only thing I could really be sure of was Q code, he says there's a 351C in the car currently. But he says the new vin number DMV gave him also included on the Title as
Model: Mach 1
Title was reissued in 06-08-88
Has black vinyl interior
Car was a 4 speed converted to a C6, still retains clutch pedal though.
Has fold down rear seat.

I wont know all the details until Monday since I'm currently in Overgaard enjoying 70 degree weather.

Rev'n Kevin
07-31-09, 06:59 PM
It IS a sport roof NOT a Mach 1, the 02 you see in the code means sport roof, if it had been a Mach 1 it would have been 05

JoeT
07-31-09, 07:17 PM
I totally agree with you on the 02 number as that was what I was able to determine as well from the VIN decoder however there's nothing else that can be determined with the VIN so I didnt know if this was a misprint.

Did Sportroofs come in 4 speeds as well?

Im dieing for a 71-73 Mach but I cant find one in my price range and still have any money to restore it, which wont be cheap.

So is 5k to much to pay for this?

Rev'n Kevin
07-31-09, 07:17 PM
One more way to be sure as to what it is, If you pull the front fenders, you will find the vin# stamped in both inner fenders on the top near the shock towers. It's on both sides.

Rev'n Kevin
07-31-09, 07:36 PM
I totally agree with you on the 02 number as that was what I was able to determine as well from the VIN decoder however there's nothing else that can be determined with the VIN so I didnt know if this was a misprint.

Did Sportroofs come in 4 speeds as well?

Im dieing for a 71-73 Mach but I cant find one in my price range and still have any money to restore it, which wont be cheap.

So is 5k to much to pay for this?

Yes you could get a 4 speed as an option and there where 4 engines available, is 5k too much, depends, his q in the code means a 351 cid 4v ram jet engine, if it has a 4 speed this would make a good clone, but looking at the pics I'd pass, and that second issue title could mean this was a stolen car or salvage, be careful.

JoeT
07-31-09, 07:37 PM
Ya think Im gonna take a pro with me to look the car over. This really sucks I cant find one that doesn't need so much work. I already have 1 project car that was a nitemare dont know how anxious I am to get into another one.

JoeT
08-04-09, 10:24 PM
FYI if anyone sees this car in Chandler steer clear of it, the guys about 60 years old and thinks this is a Mach 1 because the drivers door plate has a different VIN # that says its a Mach 1. When I suggested removing a fender off the car to verify it he absolutely refused and then got snotty and said "if I let you remove it and it turns out to be a Mach 1 you'll owe me an additional 1000 bucks."

I asked him wouldn't you want to know its a Mach 1 for your own knowledge? He says the guy that sold it to me says its a Mach 1 so that's good enough for me. All the time this guy has 10 older cars all over his backyard, including a red 67 fastback. He knows hes trying to okie doke some poor smuck. I really wanted this car but I want a true Mach 1 not a clone.

Anyway the title is all screwy and the Vin tag on the dash is punched out. Very solid car actually except for the fact that its a sport roof not a Mach.

Just thought Id let you guys know since he said he was going to list it again on craigslist. His house is near Mcqueen and Pecos.

Rev'n Kevin
08-04-09, 11:31 PM
I told you so. Just curious what did it have for the engine. I'll keep my eye out for you, I'm looking for a 71 Mach 1 for myself, I come across other years all the time, but I only want a 71.

JoeT
08-05-09, 12:36 AM
The fake Mach has a 351 Cleveland. Heres the link if you care. Guy says he will take 5k bottom dollar and he seems firm but hes a jerk, IMHO. http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/1281336765.html

Im looking for anything 71-73 Mach 1 - 351 Cleveland or Windsor. I don't want to break the bank, because I really want to do the restore myself. Im looking at one in California for 8k a little more than I want to pay if I can help it. Prefer to be in the 5k range. Definitely would appreciate the help, I have Dan looking for me at Amwest but hes pretty busy and doesn't seem to be looking to hard :laughing:

Rev'n Kevin
08-05-09, 12:52 AM
No, I really don't care, I've seen that car on craig's on and off for the last several months, I was just curious about the engine as the code you gave me said it had a ram jet in it, so I was just wondering what it really had in it.

Shouldn't be to hard to find what your looking for, as your not as picky as me. I'll let you know if I find anything, I'm going to start looking out of state for the one I want. Has to be a 71, 351 cleveland, 4 speed auto, gold with the black stripes, black leather interior, 302 wing (black of course) original wheels and all matching numbers. This was my first stang, and it will be my last, if I can find it again.

JoeT
08-05-09, 02:42 AM
I know your looking for a 71 but here's a 72 for a pretty good price (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972-Mach-1-Ford-Mustang_W0QQitemZ290336872374QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS _Cars_Trucks?hash=item43996d17b6&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245). I'm tempted myself, just cant get my wife as excited as I would be. Besides, unless I pay to have it inspected, driving 900 miles one way doesn't get me excited either, after doing alot of looking around at different years most cars now are junk, or have some really bad feelings. I'm feeling Ive missed my chance by about 20 years :confused:

Is my hope of finding one in the 5k range unrealistic?

I'm picker than you think! Except beggars cant be choosy unless you wanna shell out big money. I'm hoping I can find one that runs, and isn't full of holes with rust. Other than that I'm open. Also if it is worth something at the end of the rainbow for me that would be a bonus.

This one would work!

tvenerg
08-30-09, 10:21 PM
I have a 1973 Mach 1 351 Q code 4 speed with factory air that is gold glow metallic with the butterscotch interior. I bought it as a project several years ago and have never started on the project due to lack of funds. The engine and tranny are out of the car but everything else is still on the car. The car is a title only and was only registered until sometime in 1983 so it only shows 63,000 on the odometer. It still has the oringinal 1973 gold and green Arizona plates on it. I believe the car to be total numbers matching correct. Engine was out and dismantled when I purchased the car since according to the person I bought it from the fuel pump diaphram ruptured and allowed gas in the oil. The car does need a complete repaint and engine rebuild. If either of you are interested in taking a look at it let me know I am located in 85250 zip. Thanks Tom

Mr. Austin
08-31-09, 12:24 AM
The fake Mach has a 351 Cleveland. Heres the link if you care. Guy says he will take 5k bottom dollar and he seems firm but hes a jerk, IMHO. http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/1281336765.html

Im looking for anything 71-73 Mach 1 - 351 Cleveland or Windsor. I don't want to break the bank, because I really want to do the restore myself. Im looking at one in California for 8k a little more than I want to pay if I can help it. Prefer to be in the 5k range. Definitely would appreciate the help, I have Dan looking for me at Amwest but hes pretty busy and doesn't seem to be looking to hard :laughing:

While you are on the great craigslisthunt. Flag the old hag.:biglaugh:

Mr. Austin
08-31-09, 12:35 PM
http://www.lemonfree.com/map.php?year=1969&make=FORD&model=MUSTANG
Here is some good cars if your willing to go out of your way.