PDA

View Full Version : 09 GT500 motor and tranny

A320PYLT
08-02-09, 03:25 PM
Ok Stang fans here is a question for ya. I have an opportunity to purchase a 09 GT500 motor and trans that came from a guy who wrecked his ride. Motor runs great and compression tests were outstanding. Now the question is will this baby bolt up to a 2003 GT without a lot of fabrication work????

Thx

A320PYLT

Rev'n Kevin
08-02-09, 03:59 PM
Plan to spend some money, you'll need a custom drive shaft and a different rear end, beef up of the front suspension to handle the weight of the engine. BTW: is this the GT500 that got wrecked near Bell and 83rd last night?

BurnTire
08-02-09, 04:07 PM
A320 wants to start a mid 9's race car project. I told him to start with an 03/04 cobra. Solid Axle, Auto, Weight Reduction = Goal. Oh yea and add alot of money.

Rev'n Kevin
08-02-09, 04:27 PM
Main piece of advice I can give is "Don't get in over your head or pocket book". Kinda why I gave up the 10sec Foxbody. The new stroker stang I just bought, same thing $$$, just spent $2500 at PSR, to switch over from 7.5 rear end to a new 8.8, new upper and lower control arms, rear calipers, new x-pipe cat back exhaust system. (By the way all the gang over at PSR are great, good people, thanks to all here on HPS who recommended them to me.) :hi:

WildBill
08-02-09, 05:00 PM
Ok Stang fans here is a question for ya. I have an opportunity to purchase a 09 GT500 motor and trans that came from a guy who wrecked his ride. Motor runs great and compression tests were outstanding. Now the question is will this baby bolt up to a 2003 GT without a lot of fabrication work????

Thx

A320PYLT

It could be done, but off the top of my head, here's quik list of what it would take to do it.
Custom wiring harness. ........03-04 Cobra as a starting point harness and computer
Replace the FBW throttlebody with a mechanical one and a custom throttle cable. A custom space MAY be needed to mount a mech TB

Adapt the hydraulic clutch and silly shifter or swap in an earlier t56.........if you use a t56 with a twin disc clutch set up, ya don't need a custom driveshaft. or a custom tranny mount.........just stock 03-04 stuff

Larger Radiator

Custom hood

front springs

03-04 Cobra tank with upgraded pumps or a custom tank

That all the large stuff............depends if you're getting the heat exchager and pump also...ect

It would be an interesting project.

A320PYLT
08-02-09, 07:09 PM
Plan to spend some money, you'll need a custom drive shaft and a different rear end, beef up of the front suspension to handle the weight of the engine. BTW: is this the GT500 that got wrecked near Bell and 83rd last night?

I forgot that most of you are in AZ. No this car is on OHIO and had less than 5k on it before it was totalled. But if there is one closer????

A320PYLT

A320PYLT
08-02-09, 07:16 PM
A320 wants to start a mid 9's race car project. I told him to start with an 03/04 cobra. Solid Axle, Auto, Weight Reduction = Goal. Oh yea and add alot of money.

I want to do some work though man as I told you last time we spoke on the phone. I have the GT and I have access to a couple of 04 cobra motors and tranny with all the cpu's and harnesses which is plug and play with the 4.6L GT's

A320PYLT

A320PYLT
08-02-09, 07:23 PM
It could be done, but off the top of my head, here's quik list of what it would take to do it.
Custom wiring harness. ........03-04 Cobra as a starting point harness and computer
Replace the FBW throttlebody with a mechanical one and a custom throttle cable. A custom space MAY be needed to mount a mech TB

Adapt the hydraulic clutch and silly shifter or swap in an earlier t56.........if you use a t56 with a twin disc clutch set up, ya don't need a custom driveshaft. or a custom tranny mount.........just stock 03-04 stuff

Larger Radiator

Custom hood

front springs

03-04 Cobra tank with upgraded pumps or a custom tank

That all the large stuff............depends if you're getting the heat exchager and pump also...ect

It would be an interesting project.

Now you hit the nail on the damn head with that funny tranny! I thought about the T56 but wasnt sure if it would bolt right up!!! Custom hood huh, why do you think that?? I was of the impression that it would fit under the the hood just fine. I know the suspension will need to be beefed up and I can do just about all of the work except fabricating!!

A320PYLT

A320PYLT

WildBill
08-02-09, 08:49 PM
Now you hit the nail on the damn head with that funny tranny! I thought about the T56 but wasnt sure if it would bolt right up!!! Custom hood huh, why do you think that?? I was of the impression that it would fit under the the hood just fine. I know the suspension will need to be beefed up and I can do just about all of the work except fabricating!!

A320PYLT

A320PYLT

Because it's a 5.4 and it naturally sits up higher. Don't do the spacer bit on the k-member either. It changes the front suspension geometry.

A320PYLT
08-02-09, 10:44 PM
Because it's a 5.4 and it naturally sits up higher. Don't do the spacer bit on the k-member either. It changes the front suspension geometry.

Ahhh damn!!!! I had a feeling you were going to say that...

A320PYLT

BurnTire
08-02-09, 11:05 PM
Ahhh damn!!!! I had a feeling you were going to say that...

A320PYLT

03/04 Cobra.

WildBill
08-03-09, 09:04 AM
03/04 Cobra.

EVERYONE has one of those!

Nacho
08-06-09, 12:07 PM
I'm new here but I'm going to take the liberty and say that this sounds complicated to achieve, but most importantly, it sounds expensive.

I agree with Wild Bill, a lot of people have an 03/04 cobra, but it's up to the owner to make it stand out. Hell there are thousands of Red '95 Mustang convertibles, but I've tried to make it as 'mine' as possible. That's what really matters. And if it kicks some a$$, it makes it even better. :goodidea:

99WhiteGT
08-06-09, 04:03 PM
...and I have access to a couple of 04 cobra motors and tranny with all the cpu's and harnesses which is plug and play with the 4.6L GT's

A320PYLT

Shit you wanna send me one lol

02stangGT
08-06-09, 08:56 PM
i know it would be a lot of work, but that would be a sick project!

99WhiteGT
08-06-09, 09:13 PM
i know it would be a lot of work, but that would be a sick project!

+1 :twothumbsup:

D3VST8R96GT
08-21-09, 07:18 PM
is switching to a hydraulic clutch hard???......im about to start a similar project and wanted to use the t56 magnum....i dont mean to thread jack but find it relevant

WildBill
08-22-09, 05:20 PM
is switching to a hydraulic clutch hard???......im about to start a similar project and wanted to use the t56 magnum....i dont mean to thread jack but find it relevant

Anything is possible.

Is it better? HELL NO!