PDA

View Full Version : Bought a 1972 Mach 1!!

JoeT
08-07-09, 04:13 PM
Well Ive been dieing to find one and I finally did! Just bought a 100% original condition Mach 1 from Sacramento California its very cool! Cant hardly contain my excitement.

Car needs some attention as it was sitting for 7 years in a garage. This car also has been owned by the same family since 1984! It even included the original sales contract from its initial sale, included all documentation since new!

Is is in excellent rust free condition.

One question I needed to ask though. This car runs very good, but one thing perplexing me is in the trunk there was a led additive that the lady says they need to add to the gas. I'm absolutely clueless about this. Will I need to add this LEAD fuel additive? What if I don't. Guess I'm a little clueless about this since Ive never added anything like this to any car Ive ever owned, including my 1970 Mustang Grande I once owned in the late 80's early 90's.

I really would appreciate some direction here, the car needs gas and I'm afraid to add anything to mess this up. Bought the car yesterday in Sacramento and then drove to Las Vegas to see a buddy. Trailered the car to get it here! Couldnt buy a car site unseen, drove 14 hours from Phoenix to Sacramento to be sure this car was absolutely what it claimed to be. Im stoked, to me this car is a true barn find Vin # 2F05H137641

Anyone tell me anything about it with the vin # other than what I already know?
Year: 2 1972
Plant: F Dearborn, MI
Body Series: 05 SportsRoof, Mach 1
Engine: H 351 2v V8
Unit: 137641 137641

This also has an FMX transmission is that significant.

How can I find out a little more about this Mustang

Sales slip say sold with:

AC - Radio - Power Steering - Power Brakes - Auto Transmission.
Car sold April 24th 1972 at 4:58 pm.

Jodaddy
08-07-09, 05:00 PM
congrats dude thats freakin awesome how much did u end up pickin it up for if you dont mind me askin?

JoeT
08-07-09, 05:35 PM
Thanks man! 7400.00 I would have paid more, the guy was offered over the phone 8500 while I was there, but he let me have it since I drove so far. Finding one in this condition is unbelievable, believe me I been looking for 2 years. They are either fully restored and expensive or totally rusted out.

Paint is definitely done on this car, its very flat but original!

Engine needs some love but again its original and unmolested.

Interior is white but I may switch that to black, depends how hard it is to get original stuff in white.

Hasn't been plated since 2004.

Steering feels really easy, not sure if that's normal or if Im just used to todays cars.

Jodaddy
08-07-09, 06:54 PM
Wow, you practically stole it! :pepper: Thata boy

BurnTire
08-07-09, 07:54 PM
Very Nice Joe.

Blackmagic1
08-07-09, 08:28 PM
Congrats on being a stang owner again ! Lead additive is used as a lubricant on the the older cars. Newer cars had hardened valves and seats when unleaded came about. To be safe, hard to say, about 50/50 yes an no. If yer gonna keep it , restore it ,put some money in to it, then change out to hardened seats etc.. If not then, add the additive.

Torchmach
08-07-09, 09:50 PM
Congratulations Joe!

There is nothing special about the FMX transmission, my '72 coupe has one. Ford originally built FMX's during the late 50's early 60's, but brought them back for the 351's. They are a little funny shifting but B&M has a shift kit for them that will smooth things out.

Are you going to replace the wheels with Magnum 500's, or Ford Corporate wheels?

Rev'n Kevin
08-08-09, 12:02 AM
Very nice find there Joe, glad you held out for something you don't have to build from the ground up. I will have to disagree with the before mention shifter as I believe you will enjoy it more keeping it stock, and it sure won't hurt the value either. Congrats again, I'll let you know when I find my 71. btw, did you see the original Mach 1 rims listed on Craig's list a couple of days ago?

WildBill
08-08-09, 03:03 AM
btw, did you see the original Mach 1 rims listed on Craig's list a couple of days ago?

Hey.............I have a set of those wheels on a 62 Ford Van at home!:icon_cool::yes:

WildBill
08-08-09, 03:04 AM
CORNgrats Joe!!!!!!!!!!!
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET FIND!!!!!!!!!

Jacostang
08-08-09, 10:20 AM
Congrats!!

Chris B.
08-08-09, 01:29 PM
Nice! Welcome to the MACH 1 owners Club!!:woot1:
Can't wait to see it, are you going to drive it to the next club meeting?

Chris B.
08-08-09, 01:36 PM
Well Ive been dieing to find one and I finally did! Just bought a 100% original condition Mach 1 from Sacramento California its very cool! Cant hardly contain my excitement.

Car needs some attention as it was sitting for 7 years in a garage. This car also has been owned by the same family since 1984! It even included the original sales contract from its initial sale, included all documentation since new!

Is is in excellent rust free condition.

One question I needed to ask though. This car runs very good, but one thing perplexing me is in the trunk there was a led additive that the lady says they need to add to the gas. I'm absolutely clueless about this. Will I need to add this LEAD fuel additive? What if I don't. Guess I'm a little clueless about this since Ive never added anything like this to any car Ive ever owned, including my 1970 Mustang Grande I once owned in the late 80's early 90's.

I really would appreciate some direction here, the car needs gas and I'm afraid to add anything to mess this up. Bought the car yesterday in Sacramento and then drove to Las Vegas to see a buddy. Trailered the car to get it here! Couldnt buy a car site unseen, drove 14 hours from Phoenix to Sacramento to be sure this car was absolutely what it claimed to be. Im stoked, to me this car is a true barn find Vin # 2F05H137641

Anyone tell me anything about it with the vin # other than what I already know?
Year: 2 1972
Plant: F Dearborn, MI
Body Series: 05 SportsRoof, Mach 1
Engine: H 351 2v V8
Unit: 137641 137641

This also has an FMX transmission is that significant.

How can I find out a little more about this Mustang

Sales slip say sold with:

AC - Radio - Power Steering - Power Brakes - Auto Transmission.
Car sold April 24th 1972 at 4:58 pm.

I've never added any lead additives to mine, just give it a good tune-up, as long as it's not going to be a daily driver I wouldn't worry about it. Plus being the 2v you are going to be fine. The FMX trans. was the standard tranny for the Mach 1's that's what's in mine.

JoeT
08-09-09, 02:30 AM
Thanks everyone for the congrats, I'm still pretty stoked about this car. I picked it up in Sacramento Thursday noonish immediately headed to Vegas to stay Thursday and Friday night with a friend, and then headed home, got home today around 5pm, total miles driven to get this car 1830 miles!
For the record, my Lincoln Navigator pulled this car and a 1800 pound trailer like it was nothing, even averaged 16 miles to the gallon doing it!

I got home and spent a few hours going thru this car, really looking deep into everything, and its amazing just how straight this car is. It does have some bubbled paint on the hood as if brake fluid may have spilled on it but Im going to repaint eventually anyway so thats no biggy. But everything about this car is solid. Doors close like it was just purchased new yesterday, solid and firm.
Dash lights seem to be out, Ill look for fuses tomorrow, and the dome light doesnt work, but its missing a bulb so Im hoping its a fuse or bulbs and not electrical issues.
I also started trying to rub out the paint, looks like it will make a difference doing this, gonna be alot of work but hey thats part of the fun! If I can make it shine instead of being flat then thats a bonus.

Ill get a better understanding of the motor tomorrow during daylight. Gonna do a tune, and plugs and wires and fresh oil, and radiator flush.
Has a loose power steering belt that's squeaking, ac blows just doesn't get cold. Carb seems to be leaking so I'm probably going to either rebuild it or replace it, not sure yet.

Car has a bent rear bumper not really bad but you can tell its bowed in the middle. Its missing the front spoiler. Has a cracked windshield. Couple of the interior panels in the back are rotted from sun damage. Has just minor cosmetic issues, but that's about all the negatives I can find at this point. I dont care much for the moon rims just havent decided what to get yet, probably going with the Magnums eventually.

Added a few more photos.

Torchmach
08-09-09, 09:44 AM
That is a nice find Joe! A few minor cosmetic issues to resolve. The bumper is a no biggie, it can be stamped back out for not much $. The interior panels are going to be a PIA to find, but won't keep you from enjoying a drive in the Car.

Rev'n Kevin is right keep it stock, not many '71-'73 ponys out there. It is the internal shift kit I was refering to, to sharpen up the shifts between gears. FMX's are lazy, but durable. Nice to hear about your doors, they are a big issue on '71-'73's, wearing out the hinges, due to their size, and weight. If it is the stock carb go with a rebuild, from Pony Carbs. Check around the taillights for rust. They are held in place, to the sheetmetal, by a foam rubber gasket that retains mosture. I believe that the valve sets were hardened, anticipating the switch to unleaded fuel, so that should not be an issue.

Congratulations again!

HanksGT
08-16-09, 02:09 PM
Way to go, Joe! Nice find. I had the FMX in my '69. I never modded (don't know about the previous owner) but it would chirp 2nd...

Have fun. I vote keep it stock or simple bolt ons (and save the orig parts).

Thanks man! 7400.00 I would have paid more, the guy was offered over the phone 8500 while I was there, but he let me have it since I drove so far. Finding one in this condition is unbelievable, believe me I been looking for 2 years. They are either fully restored and expensive or totally rusted out.

Paint is definitely done on this car, its very flat but original!

Engine needs some love but again its original and unmolested.

Interior is white but I may switch that to black, depends how hard it is to get original stuff in white.

Hasn't been plated since 2004.

Steering feels really easy, not sure if that's normal or if Im just used to todays cars.

JoeT
08-19-09, 04:32 AM
Everything's going pretty good so far. Changed a lot of stuff out, replaced list:

Rebuilt Carb
Water Pump <---PITA!!!
Radiator
Thermostat
Hoses & Belts
Alternator
Freeze Plugs
Valve Cover Gaskets
Plugs and Wires
Cap and Rotor
Condensor

I'm not on the wife's hit parade right now. She still thinks shoes are a better find than the money I'm soaking into a car. Even spinning the tires down the street didnt impress her. Trying to have a little fun with these tires, they are soon to be junk anyway. The moon caps will make great target practice with my 45!

HanksGT
08-19-09, 09:00 AM
That's a lot of work! PITA? Try what you did on a new car...

Don't forget the electronic ignition conversion.

Everything's going pretty good so far. Changed a lot of stuff out, replaced list:

Rebuilt Carb
Water Pump <---PITA!!!
Radiator
Thermostat
Hoses & Belts
Alternator
Freeze Plugs
Valve Cover Gaskets
Plugs and Wires
Cap and Rotor
Condensor

I'm not on the wife's hit parade right now. She still thinks shoes are a better find than the money I'm soaking into a car. Even spinning the tires down the street didnt impress her. Trying to have a little fun with these tires, they are soon to be junk anyway. The moon caps will make great target practice with my 45!

JoeT
08-19-09, 11:41 AM
Ya I definitely wouldn't try a water pump on a new car. What made it difficult was getting the brackets back in place, should have taken a photo before removing everything. And mounting the fan wasn't any fun either since the fan shroud had to be in the way. I suppose if I did this stuff everyday it would become easier, definitely my wrenching skills are rusty!

But I gotta admit Im still having fun doing this! Now if I could just find some of the interior parts Im missing (see photos) then Id be a happy camper.

Anyone got any idea where I might find those interior trim pieces? Does anyone even know what the name of those trim pieces are called? Are these them? EBAY ITEM (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ford-mustang-71-72-73-mach-1-fastback-1-4-window-trim_W0QQitemZ140340437792QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotor s_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item20acf12320&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245)

Also what opinions do you guys think in regards to the new wheels? Should I go with the Magnum 500's or something different? I like the Magnums but I'm not thrilled with the black painted surface on the wheels, black always fades and will look older faster. I'm contemplating some Torque Thrust II wheels. What would you guys do? Anyone know max tire size I can get away with in the front? Discount tire is clueless. Probably going to have to take it in to have measured.

Stay tuned the questions come easily! :biglaugh:

HanksGT
08-19-09, 09:53 PM
True. Whatever I wrench on seems to take longer than it should.

Those ebay items look like the correct ones, 1/4 trim panels. There is a place in Winder, GA that specializes in early parts. You should be able to find them on the web.

I had Western Wheel copies of the mini-lites on my '69. I painted the centers black. Torque Thrusts would look good too. Doesn't Discount have a function where you can see different wheels on your car?

I added a photo from the spring show with a '70 with the Superlite wheels on it.

Ya I definitely wouldn't try a water pump on a new car. What made it difficult was getting the brackets back in place, should have taken a photo before removing everything. And mounting the fan wasn't any fun either since the fan shroud had to be in the way. I suppose if I did this stuff everyday it would become easier, definitely my wrenching skills are rusty!

But I gotta admit Im still having fun doing this! Now if I could just find some of the interior parts Im missing (see photos) then Id be a happy camper.

Anyone got any idea where I might find those interior trim pieces? Does anyone even know what the name of those trim pieces are called? Are these them? EBAY ITEM (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ford-mustang-71-72-73-mach-1-fastback-1-4-window-trim_W0QQitemZ140340437792QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotor s_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item20acf12320&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245)

Also what opinions do you guys think in regards to the new wheels? Should I go with the Magnum 500's or something different? I like the Magnums but I'm not thrilled with the black painted surface on the wheels, black always fades and will look older faster. I'm contemplating some Torque Thrust II wheels. What would you guys do? Anyone know max tire size I can get away with in the front? Discount tire is clueless. Probably going to have to take it in to have measured.

Stay tuned the questions come easily! :biglaugh:

JoeT
08-20-09, 01:05 AM
Thanks Hank. I almost cruised by your house tonight. Anyway I ordered some Torque Thrust II's today, just a deposit, I want to look at the rims before I commit to 1500 bucks for tires and rims. The problem with seeing the rims on the car online is most don't go back to 72.

HanksGT
08-20-09, 01:09 AM
You should have stopped by. My son Chris brought his snake over. Not a pony, but a real slithering snake.

The older ones are all the same bolt pattern with the 5 lug wheels but offsets have to be measured. There was a lot of tolerence on the older cars. Coing to Fuddruckers?

Thanks Hank. I almost cruised by your house tonight. Anyway I ordered some Torque Thrust II's today, just a deposit, I want to look at the rims before I commit to 1500 bucks for tires and rims. The problem with seeing the rims on the car online is most don't go back to 72.

JoeT
08-20-09, 01:22 AM
Is that this week? Sorry seemed to have stopped getting the calls, and the Mirror. Not sure why thought I paid at Uncle Sams Pizza for 2 years.

Might come if its this week, definitely would like to talk to some stang guys about this car. Not sure Ill bring the stang, Im really afraid of these tires. Been sitting for 7 years and even Discount Tire wont mess with them saying they are at least 15 years old, except they actually look new.

I drove right by your house just didnt want to impose figured you worked today and it was about 8:30 didnt want to disturb the family on a school nite. Shelby needs the rest!

HanksGT
08-20-09, 08:55 AM
Yep, another nite out already. We didn't do a blaster yet...They only send the newsletter out a couple of times a year, the rest are posted online.

Thats a little old for tires. No problem. We can't them down until 9pm anyway.

Is that this week? Sorry seemed to have stopped getting the calls, and the Mirror. Not sure why thought I paid at Uncle Sams Pizza for 2 years.

Might come if its this week, definitely would like to talk to some stang guys about this car. Not sure Ill bring the stang, Im really afraid of these tires. Been sitting for 7 years and even Discount Tire wont mess with them saying they are at least 15 years old, except they actually look new.

I drove right by your house just didnt want to impose figured you worked today and it was about 8:30 didnt want to disturb the family on a school nite. Shelby needs the rest!