PDA

View Full Version : I can hardly take it anymore!

xsenerg
08-22-09, 08:27 PM
Just kidding, kind of. I bought an 89 gt in El Paso and it got up here yesterday. Took it to emissions in chandler and it failed. Thought it would. So now it is in the shop next to emissions where they can get it to pass. I have unfortunately not turned a wrench in a long time. I thought it best left to a professional at the moment. So I have to wait until monday to get the car back. AAAAHHHHH! I will just be happy to get back behind the wheel ASAP. I just joined the forum so HELLO to everyone, i already hit the 'new members' post.

ttocs
08-22-09, 09:29 PM
I thought the 185 heads were not street legal? Its 20 yrs old this year, can't you get it declaired historic an nix the emissions?

xsenerg
08-22-09, 10:03 PM

xsenerg
08-23-09, 12:07 AM
Hey guys, I have been searching all over and cannot find a source for the maximum rated horsepower a 302 can withstand. I have heard it is 500-550 hp. Anyone know for sure what a stock 302 block (331) can handle? Thanks

ttocs
08-23-09, 06:55 AM
a completely STOCK bottom end? mine couldn't handles 240............

I am currently about to order a 331 and depending on how much you want to spend they advertise 800 hp but I do not know for how long.

blueoval
08-23-09, 08:34 AM
As long as you have cats on the car, 2 big bottles of isopropyl (sp) alcohol + half tank of gas + 30 minutes of really beating on the car should get you to pass. May want to Seafoam it first to get some residual gunk out of the system first, but I have had plenty of cars pass with just the alcohol treatment.

xsenerg
08-23-09, 11:05 AM
a completely STOCK bottom end? mine couldn't handles 240............

I am currently about to order a 331 and depending on how much you want to spend they advertise 800 hp but I do not know for how long.

I was just curious about the block itself. The engine has been upped to a 331 with forged pistons, I rods, and steel crank. It has a 331 build on it. Just wanted to know how far a 302 factory block could be pushed before failure? Do not want that to happen!lol.

4Jenna
08-23-09, 02:06 PM
Most say 450rw is pushing it, i was lucky enuff to make 550+rw for years on mine before I upgraded.
Detonation and rpm are the real killers of a stock block.

Becareful when you hit the kit though.

WildBill
08-23-09, 03:49 PM
I was just curious about the block itself. The engine has been upped to a 331 with forged pistons, I rods, and steel crank. It has a 331 build on it. Just wanted to know how far a 302 factory block could be pushed before failure? Do not want that to happen!lol.

It just depends on the core shift and you quality of tune, bur usually 475 to 525 RWHP and it splits first at the lifter valley