PDA

View Full Version : 2005-2008 4.6 engines

paysonpony
09-02-09, 02:05 PM
I was not sure what forum to post this question too, so I apologize inadvance if I crossed the line.
I recently have been some talk about the 4.6 engines in our Mustangs. The claim is = Installing power adders, like superchargers etc., is a disaster in the waiting. The talk is that the 4.6 engine will not stay together running power adders. I have a Saleen SC on my 07 Mustang GT, and have had it now for over a year, and I have had no issues other than having a spark plug back out after running twice at the track. I retorqued all my plugs and I have had no more issues.
I do not want to push my luck and blow my engine, so I thought I would write and ask you all if you have had any suck problems, or have heard anything like this concerning our 4.6 engines and power adders?
I want to go to the track and have some fun at your upcoming Monsoon Madness event, but I don't want to pay the ultimate price by pushing my luck if the rumor is true.
Help anyone????

Casperorr
Payson
RCMC

BurnTire
09-02-09, 02:50 PM
It all depends on how much boost you are pushing. I know an 05 GT with a Whipple that has over 50k miles. If you keep the boost in check and the tune is right it will last.

paysonpony
09-02-09, 08:53 PM
Thank you for your advise. I really like this forum. With all the experience and talent with your club, I can always count on replies to important questions. Once again,
Thank you sir,

Keith Orr
Payson, AZ
RCMC

BurnTire
09-02-09, 09:00 PM
How much boost are you running?

paysonpony
09-02-09, 09:10 PM
Sorry, I forgot my car's information. I am running a Saleen Supercharger + 475 HP upgrade kit. As for Stage3's advertisement/information on their website concerning this issue, I am very close to what they claim. I had my car tuned and on the dyno by Xact Dyno. Tim did a great job. I am running 409 RWHP and 6lbs of boost. My car has an automatic transmission, 4:10 gears, 285 x 40 x 18 rear wheels, 255 x 45 x 18 front wheels, SCT tune by Brenspeed/and fine tuned by Tim at X-act Dyno. MAC axle back exhaust.

Thanks,
Keith
RCMC

BurnTire
09-02-09, 09:41 PM
You shouldn't have any problems running that boost level with a good tune. Enjoy the car and don't worry.

paysonpony
09-03-09, 12:30 AM
Thank you my Friend,

Keith Orr
RCMC

Mr. Austin
09-03-09, 01:13 AM
Glad Buretire could help. Burn is it just the components in the motor trying to warm up?

billyboss
09-03-09, 07:36 AM
I have a saleen sc on my car with a brenspeed stage 1 470hp, with 25k on it with 50 plus runs at the track with no issues:woot2:

Wharf Rat
09-04-09, 10:41 AM
With 408 rwhp and a good Brenspeed tune you have nothing to worry about. There are many Whipple and TVS cars out there on stock longblocks running 500 rwhp.

2nd2nunn
09-04-09, 05:30 PM
We have a customer that has had a Whipple 2.3 on his car since 3000 miles and the car now has 74000 miles. The car is also on 12psi and makes 514RWHP and the driver beats the hell out of the car. He has broken 3 input shafts in the stock transmission and since has upgraded to the TR-6060 and has also been through 4 aftermarket clutches. So the 05+ 4.6’s are a strong engine as long as they are tune correctly

With 408 rwhp and a good Brenspeed tune you have nothing to worry about. There are many Whipple and TVS cars out there on stock longblocks running 500 rwhp.
Because you are here in AZ., I would be careful of the brenspeed tunes. We have had a few cars come to the shop and been put on the dyno and their cars were detonating. They are not taking into account the air quality, heat and poor fuel we have out here.

paysonpony
09-04-09, 11:13 PM
Thank you all for your help and advise. I am looking forward to your Monsoon Madness Car Show.

Thanks again,
Keith Orr
RCMC - Pres