PDA

View Full Version : Overheating Problem 331 stroker

rgerdes
09-03-09, 01:35 PM
I have a '90 LX with a motor that has less than a 1000 miles. It has a Systemax top end with aluminum heads. I'm on my second thermostat. The motor has a new motorsports water pump. Radiator was rodded and cleaned and said to be ok and it has an electric Taurus fan attached. I do have a new manual aftermarket temp guage so I think that works ok. My problem is that the engine slowly creeps up to 235 dgrees and then I get worried and shut it down. I'm running a 50-50 coolant solution with purple ice. I thought the radiator wasn't dissapating the heat good enough so I bought a 3row aluminum radiator with twin fans that are rated at 2800cfm combined (puller fans). Last night is was about 95 degrees and I took a drive. At about one mile the guage was at 200 degree, at two miles 210 at three miles 220 and at three miles 230. Went for my driveway and it was at 235. Turn the fans off and the temp went to 240. Shut down the car and let it sit. My intial timing at the pulley is 14 degrees and I have a ford motorsports 210 pump with an Aero adjustable regulator set at 42 lbs. and have 24 lb. injectors. Pulled the plugs and they are light brown. I'm a bit miffed over the deal so does anyone have any suggestions before I torch this horse. Thanks in advance. RG

BurnTire
09-03-09, 02:06 PM
Is the system free of air pockets. Is the pump working correctly? It seems like you have more than enough radiator and fans. Sounds like you eliminated the thermostat. Could be the gauge.

Mr. Austin
09-03-09, 02:27 PM
when got mine redone they told me the weirdest thing about the air pockets in the block. If you have a nice lip to your drive way instead of that gradual climb into the drive way put the front tires on the lip and make the radiator higher than the motor. take off the cap and rotate from top an bottom hoses squeezing them. The shop told me that they its Burping the system and pushing the air pockets to the top of the radiator so you can fill it up and push the air out. weird but works. may not be your issue but that was an experience about a year ago i had.

BurnTire
09-03-09, 02:29 PM
Thats how I burp my system. Front tires on ramps when filling.

Mr. Austin
09-03-09, 02:33 PM
weirdest thing i have ever heard but i had massive bubbles after the rebuild.

DVSRICK
09-03-09, 03:51 PM
There are alot of possibilities on why it is over heating. Here are some of the most common ones

1. Is the belt on correctly turning the water pump the right way.( yes the belt will fit if ran the wrong way)
2. Double check the thermostat even if they are new they could be bad.
3. Are the electric fans pulling air through or pushing air
4. A huge air pocket in the system use a pressure release cap or run it on stands to get ride of it.

rgerdes
09-03-09, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the info. need to lift the front end and see if that helps. You know the temp guage took a bit longer than usual to register so maybe I do have an air pocket

xsenerg
09-04-09, 01:02 AM
I just bought my 331 stroked mustang and it had an overheating issue. Everything checked good, so they went into the engine. Found out that when the previous owner built the motor he used paper gaskets (with afr heads) and put one on backwards. This is not uncommon from what I am told. It restricted water flow to the back of the motor causing a gradual overheat about every 12-15 miles. If everything checks ok and your temp gun is showing a noticable difference between your front and back halves of your engine then this may be a possibility. Of course I would not jump to conclusions without eliminating all other causes. You probably do not want to just throw money at the problem.

SloSVO
09-04-09, 09:23 AM
There are alot of possibilities on why it is over heating. Here are some of the most common ones

1. Is the belt on correctly turning the water pump the right way.( yes the belt will fit if ran the wrong way)
2. Double check the thermostat even if they are new they could be bad.
3. Are the electric fans pulling air through or pushing air
4. A huge air pocket in the system use a pressure release cap or run it on stands to get ride of it.

I was going to say if you had the correct reverse rotation pump.. is the t-stat in the right way.. sensor towards intake... You used to be able to see on felpro head gaskets if the gasket on the pass. side (i think) is
flipped by the lack of print on it...

Dan
09-04-09, 11:25 AM
I have seen many things ranging from clogged aluminum radiators to wrong thermostats and even the improper installation of head gaskets.. what I do is ..

buy a 160* t state
Drill 2 small holes in the outer edge that way air bubbles can pass threw allowing the car to burp properly
set your base timing at 13* no more
I normally use autolite 3924 plugs on aluminum heads
on Iron heads I’d use autolite 24s
make sure your belt is routed properly

this is the basics that I use and it has never failed me. If all these things are in check and the car still heats up please take the radiator and have it flow check you may have some stoppage in the lower end on the unit its self. Feel free to call me and we will do what we can in order to help you figure this out

thank you, and have a wonderful day
Dan

ps please make sure you have no vaccume leaks that could cause a lean condition and that would build some heat as well

rgerdes
09-04-09, 01:50 PM
Slosvo, how can I check the water pump? Didn't know there was a different one. My head gaskets were marked front so I think they are on ok. One gasket had to be flipped over to have the front location aligned.

Dan, I have the correct plugs for sure. On the belt rotation what would I check to see if something is incorrect? I'll back down the timing and check for the vac. leaks. Can you suggest any radiator shop to check the radiator flow?

I would like to thank all of you responders for the great info. I have plenty of items to check out once I know all my honey dos are complete! You know what I mean?

Thanks Ralph

SloSVO
09-04-09, 06:03 PM
i'm not aware of the casting numbers.. i just know that there are different water pumps.. you may have the right one but your belt can be wrapped the wrong way.. do you still have the sticker on the core support?

rgerdes
09-05-09, 07:13 AM
No sticker. It appears the front bumper has been replaced. Maybe the core support was replaced or straightened. Maybe I can find it on-line.