PDA

View Full Version : Street Fighter Ratchet Shifter?

paysonpony
09-13-09, 02:27 AM
Has anyone with a 2005-2009 Mustang GT, running an automatic transmission, installed a "Street Fighter Ratchet Shifter"? I have been reading the information on the TCI website about this shifter, but it is pretty short. Not all of information listed, and I have not found any reviews yet from customers who have purchased this shifter.
Is it worth it? Does it make a considerable difference or improvement in performance? I have been told by some other car enthusiasts that it is simular to the "paddle shifter", or like the "slap" electronic shifter in the RS and RST cars. Is there any truth to this? Or is it just for looks?

Thanks,
Keith
Payson, AZ
RCMC

WildBill
09-13-09, 09:58 AM
Has anyone with a 2005-2009 Mustang GT, running an automatic transmission, installed a "Street Fighter Ratchet Shifter"? I have been reading the information on the TCI website about this shifter, but it is pretty short. Not all of information listed, and I have not found any reviews yet from customers who have purchased this shifter.
Is it worth it? Does it make a considerable difference or improvement in performance? I have been told by some other car enthusiasts that it is simular to the "paddle shifter", or like the "slap" electronic shifter in the RS and RST cars. Is there any truth to this? Or is it just for looks?

Thanks,
Keith
Payson, AZ
RCMC
With these transmission and the past 4R70W being computer controlled, unless you have a fully manual valvebody, all a ratchet shifter will do is confuse the computer and the car will ET lower. The only time you need to manually shift your 99 up auto Mustang is during the burnout with a 1-2 shift.

paysonpony
09-13-09, 02:13 PM
WildBill,
Thank you for your professional advice. I do apprecaite your help. In your message you talked about a fully manual valvebody. Is this something that I could do to make the ratchet shifter work. I wish I would have purchased a Mustang with a manual transmission, but that's in the past. And I have done so much work to my mustang, I don't want to get rid of it. I know that my automatic will never perform like a true manual transmission, but with the full manual valvebody and the TCI ratchet shifter, can I get close to the feel of having a manual transmission. I don't go the track very much. I do participate in activities like the up coming "Monsoon Madness", but not much otherwise. And I am not looking for competitive results, but rather just fun and sporty daily driving. I am sure this sounds pretty lame, but presently I am not in the market for another vehicle. I am following the Camaro and Challenger scene right now, and I am waiting for the kraze to slow down on these vehicles. I will eventually be driving one or the other, but I will not be selling or trading my current Mustang, for I plan to keep it. Sorry for the long and boring message, but I wanted you to know where I stand so that you understand what I am looking for in setting up my mustang. I appreciate your help my Friend, and I value your advice and experience. I have been told by many car enthusiasts that you are the guy to come too if you are looking for quality.

Thank you,
Keith
Payson, AZ
RCMC

billyboss
09-13-09, 02:47 PM
I have one in my car it is a very quality piece,I just use it for burnouts and playing around with, I get bored just putting the trans in drive so it is fun to play with, also you can keep the car in a lower gear instead of waiting for it to downshift on it's own when playing around,and no worry about missing a shift:woot2:

WildBill
09-13-09, 04:24 PM
WildBill,
Thank you for your professional advice. I do apprecaite your help. In your message you talked about a fully manual valvebody. Is this something that I could do to make the ratchet shifter work. I wish I would have purchased a Mustang with a manual transmission, but that's in the past. And I have done so much work to my mustang, I don't want to get rid of it. I know that my automatic will never perform like a true manual transmission, but with the full manual valvebody and the TCI ratchet shifter, can I get close to the feel of having a manual transmission. I don't go the track very much. I do participate in activities like the up coming "Monsoon Madness", but not much otherwise. And I am not looking for competitive results, but rather just fun and sporty daily driving. I am sure this sounds pretty lame, but presently I am not in the market for another vehicle. I am following the Camaro and Challenger scene right now, and I am waiting for the kraze to slow down on these vehicles. I will eventually be driving one or the other, but I will not be selling or trading my current Mustang, for I plan to keep it. Sorry for the long and boring message, but I wanted you to know where I stand so that you understand what I am looking for in setting up my mustang. I appreciate your help my Friend, and I value your advice and experience. I have been told by many car enthusiasts that you are the guy to come too if you are looking for quality.

Thank you,
Keith
Payson, AZ
RCMC

I wouldn't have a manual valvebody installed on a mainly street car. In your car, this would mainly be a cosmetic mod, since it will not give you an actual performance increase, only a perceived one.

Thank you for the compliment! I try my best to shoot straight and not have people overspend to achieve their goals with their cars.