PDA

View Full Version : GEARS: 4.10's impressions

P Machy
09-03-06, 12:30 AM
WOW!!!! That is all :Bucktooth:

J/K.

The car feels so much better with these gears :thumbsup: . I honestly thought that the Termee was a bit boring ride down the 1320'. Each next gear seems to take forever, where unlike the Mach1 it was a rush from the starting line to the 660' with 4.56 gears! Finally got my chance to run her down the strip and man...she is seriously FUN now!!!!

Street Driving:
Reminds me of the Mach1 where one is very busy grabbing gears pretty quickly (2000rpm upshifts). I find myself cruising from Stop Light to Stop Light in 5th gear, so it keeps me pretty active....I call this my work out when I taker her out!

Freeway Driving:
Sweet! Cruises just nicely at 2000rpms = 60mph in 6th gear (maybe 1mph off due to the New Nitto DR's). Steep Grades are no longer an issue, where as before I would have to get into 5th gear in some situations that other drivers can present you. The blast from 65mph to 115mph in 4th is super quick! Well, it is a good thing, but a bad thing all wrapped into one. It is like waiting for a roller coaster ride for 2 hours and only to enjoy the blast for not even 6 seconds!!!! <-- estimating.

Funny thing is that powershifting into 5th gear is EASY!! LOL

The Good
Car feels lively and so far no enhanced wheel hop on the street.

The BAD
For some strange reason, the Termee's seem to have issues with a driveline vibration. Mine was at 85mph, but after the gear swap, it is now at 75mph!

ET's?
I did not get to do a test under the same day and same track conditions. The 3.55 ET was under better air.

Best 3.55 Gears = 12.274 @ 110mph on a 1.650 60' / BFG DR's

Best 4.10 Gears = 12.119 @ 113mph on a 1.682 60' / M/T DR's (changed from a 2.90 into a 2.80, idler, FIPK)

I personally did not see any ET improvements from the 2.80 pulley, but track was getting seriously dangerous, so I had no real way of telling. Prior to the FIPK, car trapped 112mph only...Gears did something good, but not sure how much I can chalk it up too?

4.10's are NOT for everyone. If you have personal plans to mod up on the HP side, this gear will not be a wise choice. I do not see any future HP mods into this car, then what I already have.

Brakelate
09-07-06, 04:36 AM
So, with the new gears, are you doing your burnouts in 2nd gear or 1st ?

I know LACR is pretty slick and easy in 2nd, but FAMOSO was much tougher, even with the 4.30's in the '01.

P Machy
09-07-06, 12:04 PM
So, with the new gears, are you doing your burnouts in 2nd gear or 1st ?

I know LACR is pretty slick and easy in 2nd, but FAMOSO was much tougher, even with the 4.30's in the '01.Long as there is water, no issues with burnouts...not that you would know how to do one :Bucktooth:

2nd gear burnout...always :thmbsup:

SONIC03SNAKE
09-07-06, 12:33 PM
Good write up!!!! I love my 4.10 gears.:2thumbs:

P Machy
09-07-06, 12:38 PM
Good write up!!!! I love my 4.10 gears.:2thumbs:
Lou, how much ET did you pick up again? I remember reading it at mod fords, but wasnt sure if it was almost 2/10th?

It sure makes the car alot more interesting! :biggrin:

SONIC03SNAKE
09-08-06, 08:16 AM
Lou, how much ET did you pick up again? I remember reading it at mod fords, but wasnt sure if it was almost 2/10th?

It sure makes the car alot more interesting! :biggrin:
I can't remember but it was a nice improvement.:2thumbs:

Lucafu1
09-09-06, 02:45 AM
get a viper 6th gear! with my 3.90s and my tranny I cruise at 80mph at 2000rpms =)

Brakelate
09-09-06, 03:12 AM
Can't wait to do my gears. Any problems either running or setting up the 3.90's? I'm assuming they are Motive brand?

Lucafu1
09-09-06, 03:43 AM
Can't wait to do my gears. Any problems either running or setting up the 3.90's? I'm assuming they are Motive brand?

yep they are motives. with the rear seats down i can hear a slight whine but nothing bad. seats up i can hear anything except for my exhaust.

Brakelate
09-09-06, 03:51 AM
I think you are going to hear a little whine with any taller (numerically) gear. The stock 3:55's in my car make a little noise even.

I was seriously considering 3.90's over 4.10's because I do so much high speed driving. But, besides giving up a little at the dragstrip, I've heard so much bad mojo about non-Ford Racing gear sets from both the installers and owners (though finding an actual owner of that ratio is pretty rare).

How has you're experience been? What was it that swayed you one way or the other?

AZSonicSnake
09-09-06, 07:34 AM
my car has 3.90's in it, and they are even freshly installed. but i only have like 20 miles on the car....so not enough time to add good feedback yet, but i will more than likely be putting a few miles on it here fairly quickly. :2thumbs:

Lucafu1
09-09-06, 02:30 PM
I think you are going to hear a little whine with any taller (numerically) gear. The stock 3:55's in my car make a little noise even.

I was seriously considering 3.90's over 4.10's because I do so much high speed driving. But, besides giving up a little at the dragstrip, I've heard so much bad mojo about non-Ford Racing gear sets from both the installers and owners (though finding an actual owner of that ratio is pretty rare).

How has you're experience been? What was it that swayed you one way or the other?

i wanted 3.90s because its the best gear for my car. I can still trap at 130 on a 26" tall tire and not have to over rev the engine. I was thinking about 3.73s but it woulndt have been worth it comming from 3.55s. 4.10s would have been good but thats to much gear on for the top end IMO. if my IRS was stock agian I would goe with 3.90s agian.

BurnTire
09-09-06, 02:45 PM
i wanted 3.90s because its the best gear for my car. I can still trap at 130 on a 26" tall tire and not have to over rev the engine. I was thinking about 3.73s but it woulndt have been worth it comming from 3.55s. 4.10s would have been good but thats to much gear on for the top end IMO. if my IRS was stock agian I would goe with 3.90s agian.

Are you running level 5 half shafts or stock?

P Machy
09-09-06, 04:15 PM
Unless Brakelate is thinking of never hitting the track (so far he hasnt), 3.90's might be the gear's for his HP level.

4.10's @ 2710' is perfect...go through the ET lights around 6200rpms...Sea Level, the motor with the eaton will be screaming!!!

Jay...you can power shift 5th and she still pulls :2thumbs:, but do the 3.90's :Bucktooth:

Lucafu1
09-09-06, 04:16 PM
Are you running level 5 half shafts or stock?

H&R Sport Springs

MM Sub Frame Connectors

14mm IRS Bolts

Billet Flow Differential Brace

Complete IRS Bushing Set

DSS Level 5 Halfshafts

00R Cobra Shocks

Motive 3.90 gears

BF IRS Brackets

Brakelate
09-10-06, 12:26 AM
Unless Brakelate is thinking of never hitting the track (so far he hasnt), 3.90's might be the gear's for his HP level.

I just don't see the point in hazing my clutch. I wanna jump in there with some solid passes, so I'm waiting until I get a few more goodies.

Besides, I can beat up on you anytime. :icon_biggrin:

Brakelate
09-14-06, 03:31 AM
So, the 4.10's and a Steeda Diff cover brace went on two days ago.

Phocking thing vibrates so bad from 70-83 mph that I can't even tell what I'm looking at in the rear view mirror. That's right in my freeway cruise speed range, so it's frustrating. Before everyone starts blaming the installer, it seems that the two or three other locals running 4:10s have the same issue, right at the same speed.

At present, I'm regretting not going with the 3.90's. At least that would have reduced the vibe, or at the very least moved it up to over 85.

Hoping that in another two weeks I'll be holding a time slip with some nice numbers that will wash away the current frustration.

On the other hand, if I drove at legal speeds (almost impossible out here on desert highways) I wouldn't have a complaint in the world.

*Question: Does everyone with aftermarket gearsets leave the big weight on the front of the diff? Most appear to have been removed by the shop installing the gears, as it was "tuned" to remove vibes with the 3:55's. Mine is still there.

Brakelate
09-14-06, 03:32 AM
I do not see any future HP mods into this car, then what I already have.
:lies:

P Machy
09-14-06, 12:19 PM
SlowOne....my stock CAR with NO MODS in it Vibrated at 80mph. Took the weight balancer off and no change in vibrations in RPM's.

Also, shorter Gears will pronounce any unsuspecting vibrations that was not there before or noticeable due to the increase in RPM.

BTW: U cheating BASTIG!!! I didnt know you had them Gears, but It didnt seem like :sticktonge:

Just get a TUNE!

Lucafu1
09-14-06, 04:05 PM
did you get a tune to fix your MPH? its off if you didnt. I never removed to weight so im not sure if it will help in your situation. no vibs here

Brakelate
09-15-06, 03:12 AM
I simply modified it with the Predator to be accurate with the 4.10's.