PDA

View Full Version : Mach Mach Has a Broken Nose :(

JoeT
10-21-09, 08:57 PM
Long story short some guy in a Corvette was coming down the street near 15th ave and Bell. I was coming out of Sams Club, there is a big hunk of trees and when I looked right I didnt see anything, so I proceeded to pull out north bound on 15th ave to Bell. Just as I was about to clear the median I saw out of the corner of my eye the Vette hauling ass, had to be doing at least 75, so I swerved and smashed right into the sign in the median destroying the front end of the Mach 1. You ever see a grown man cry? :sad-smiley-047:

The guy in the Vette took off and headed east bound on Bell. If I wasnt so dazed for a second I might have gotten the plate, but I didnt. I called my insurance guy and he says get out of that area as soon as possible, I only have liability at this point because any collector car insurance wanted photos and the car was not ready for that. My insurance guy told me they would ticket me for not having control of my vehicle. I would also pay heavily for the sign that destroyed my front end. Very expensive. So I called my wife she brought me a car she stayed with the car while I went to Uhaul to get a trailer. Calling a towing company would have been over 100 bucks to get it home, and so 55 seemed less of 2 evils.

I dont know what this is called but it looks pretty serious. The front end parts IE grill, bumper, lower valance, spoiler are history, but those are not to tough to replace and I had intended on doing it at some point anyway. I got home and couldn't stand looking at the car the way it was so I started taking parts off, even if a body shop did this part of the removal they would have charged much more than me doing this myself. As the photos show my concern isnt body parts.

Can someone tell me what this is? It is definitely pushed in far enough that it is rubbing on the pulley there was no way I was going to be able to pull this out.

Id appreciate some info here, and any suggestions on who has the skills to fix this without raping me?

Mr. Austin
10-21-09, 09:05 PM
Oooo! thats a nice bump! You can try to see if PSR can to some fabrication work? Or find someone who can do fabrication work. i dont think you would want that to be "Filled In" or any of that crap. Best chances are to replace that whole beam so you get maximum strength. that just my opinion there could be something thats a way better idea.

JoeT
10-21-09, 09:38 PM
Well I dont know what its called. And it seems pretty solid. I don't see any place it can be removed those 2 bolts you see seem to attach to the front control arms. Plus this seems like if its fixable it needs a frame shop. Need a good guy price. Already ordered over 500 on cosmetic parts. The hundred dollar an hour shops are getting crazy 50 bucks to the mechanic and 50 to the shop, hurts a poor man :veryhappy:

The top piece is the core support just dont know what the bottom is called that's the piece that has the bolts running to the control arms.

wickedcobra
10-22-09, 01:16 AM
That sucks. Sorry man!

JoeT
10-22-09, 09:49 AM
Anyone know what that part is called thats bent? I cant call around to find out whats needed to get fixed if I cant tell them what is bent.

Thanks wickedcobra. Life goes on I spent all day yesterday feeling like someone had died, a nights rest has just made me determined to get it fixed. Something makes me think this is called a Torque Box????

Also anyone know about this shop? http://www.alsunibody.com/

Mr. Austin
10-22-09, 01:22 PM
Its your front brace i would say that connects the frame in the front. its what supports your rods and supports the radiator. you may need the whole front radiator part if i am thinking correctly. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?catalog=169&partnum=46949&a=FR169-46949

JoeT
10-22-09, 05:32 PM
Turns out its called a cross member. Its going to have to be replaced. Got an estimate today from Als Frame and its going to cost about 1000.00

Not a good day for me thats for sure. Could be worse I could have been T-boned by this moron, and someone could have been hurt. I guarantee as soon as this repair is completed Im going to get collector insurance. Anyone that doesnt have it your asking for trouble if you have this sort of thing happen to you.

Mr. Austin
10-23-09, 12:21 AM
isnt the frame above it ruined too?

HanksGT
10-23-09, 01:18 AM
Sorry to hear about that. I know it hurts, but you are ok. Thats what counts. The car is fixable. You're going to want a reputable frame shop. If it's not done correctly you'll never be happy.

Hea**** is an MCA Sponsor and I have inexpensive collector car insurance with them for the '89. They are almost half of Hagerty. Why were you worried about sending photos to the insurance company? Several members are saving big money having collectors instead of regular auto insurance. And don't wait. Do it now.

Turns out its called a cross member. Its going to have to be replaced. Got an estimate today from Als Frame and its going to cost about 1000.00

Not a good day for me thats for sure. Could be worse I could have been T-boned by this moron, and someone could have been hurt. I guarantee as soon as this repair is completed Im going to get collector insurance. Anyone that doesnt have it your asking for trouble if you have this sort of thing happen to you.

JoeT
10-23-09, 10:09 AM
Well The list Of damage includes the following.

Tram and Measure
Hang Frame Gauges
R&I Radiator
R&I Condenser
Pull and straighten front lower tie bar
Pull front x-member into place
R&R front x-member
Trim out X-member
Pull & straighten suspension Xmember.

I had to buy a new cross member, cost 70 bucks, and it is perfect.

The guy doing this seems very anal, I like that. He assures me he will make this right, promises you will never be able to tell this ever happened and it will drive straight and track exactly. The guy in my opinion is a quiet secret, he had 3 classic Mustangs in his shop, which was spotless btw. He is fixing a 68 Fastback a 69 Mach and a 66 Fastback.
He is also a Ford guy. I feel good about the guy. Hes not a youngster and has nearly 30 yrs in business. He also had no complaints with the BBB in the past 2 years. He also says any welding will be better than any welds from Ford when this car was born.

There were also some other moral and personal things discussed that made me feel good about this guy. Since working on frames is the only thing he does I figured that was a good thing.

Ill let you know how it turns out in the long run, but hes been very good on things so far.

On another note I found another Mustang grave yard!
Arizona Muscle Mart on 414 S. 59th ave. 602-233-0616 talk to Fidel, he speaks perfect English and seems to really know all Mustangs. They have about every Mustang you could be looking for. Lots of cars for sale and parts galore. In my 4 years of having a Mustang again I never heard of these guys, thought I should pass it on. Definitely worth a look if your trying to find parts.

Believe me insurance is the first order of business the day this car comes home again. Any suggestions on companies to go with and a phone number would be appreciated.
My insurance guy said we needed photos so we could have an agreed value on the car. Could also be who ever he lists with. Ive just used this guy since I was 17 so I dont usually venture out to far.

HanksGT
10-23-09, 01:59 PM
Will it be ready for tomorrow? (kidding). Are you coming to Firebird tonight?

Sounds like a good plan. It'll be better than new.

Call and get quotes from Hagerty and Hea****.

Well The list Of damage includes the following.

Tram and Measure
Hang Frame Gauges
R&I Radiator
R&I Condenser
Pull and straighten front lower tie bar
Pull front x-member into place
R&R front x-member
Trim out X-member
Pull & straighten suspension Xmember.

I had to buy a new cross member, cost 70 bucks, and it is perfect.

The guy doing this seems very anal, I like that. He assures me he will make this right, promises you will never be able to tell this ever happened and it will drive straight and track exactly. The guy in my opinion is a quiet secret, he had 3 classic Mustangs in his shop, which was spotless btw. He is fixing a 68 Fastback a 69 Mach and a 66 Fastback.
He is also a Ford guy. I feel good about the guy. Hes not a youngster and has nearly 30 yrs in business. He also had no complaints with the BBB in the past 2 years. He also says any welding will be better than any welds from Ford when this car was born.

There were also some other moral and personal things discussed that made me feel good about this guy. Since working on frames is the only thing he does I figured that was a good thing.

Ill let you know how it turns out in the long run, but hes been very good on things so far.

On another note I found another Mustang grave yard!
Arizona Muscle Mart on 414 S. 59th ave. 602-233-0616 talk to Fidel, he speaks perfect English and seems to really know all Mustangs. They have about every Mustang you could be looking for. Lots of cars for sale and parts galore. In my 4 years of having a Mustang again I never heard of these guys, thought I should pass it on. Definitely worth a look if your trying to find parts.

Believe me insurance is the first order of business the day this car comes home again. Any suggestions on companies to go with and a phone number would be appreciated.
My insurance guy said we needed photos so we could have an agreed value on the car. Could also be who ever he lists with. Ive just used this guy since I was 17 so I dont usually venture out to far.

Torchmach
10-24-09, 09:19 AM
Ouch !!!! Tough break Joe. Good that you are OK, and it sounds like the Car is in good hands. It should be back on the road soon, and in better condition than when you bought it.