PDA

View Full Version : Flywheel Options

BurnTire
09-03-06, 07:52 PM
OK It looks like I am going to go with the Ram HD clutch.
For you heavy hitters out there running steel flywheels please explain the pros and cons of steel. My car will be 600+ RWHP with an aggressive launch. Just trying to figure out what is best.

P Machy
09-03-06, 08:11 PM
I personally don't like the Steel Flywheels due to the extreme hit it will put on the entire drivetrain. The Aluminum Flywheels have such a softer hit, it is a bit hard to explain. Not sure what type of flywheel you had on the 5.0 of urs, but my Mach1 60' the same with the OEM Steel Flywheel and on a Findenza Flywheel...It just didnt feel so harsh off the line with the Aluminium one, but it bogged down way to easy for my taste.

If you are running on some seriously prepped tracks, a Steel Flywheel would be the best choice IMHO. An Aluminum Flywheel needs all the HP & TQ to help the minimal inertia it offers compared to a Steel Flywheel. Also, the Aluminum Flywheel seems to be way too sensitive to hot laps...I could bust out 19 runs in 3 hours on a Steel Flywheel and not think twice about it. My Termee's clutch starts stinking if I do a back to back to back run with in 1 hour.

Both have a PRO & a CON.

I rather burn up stock clutches VS input shafts....Personally.

BurnTire
09-03-06, 08:16 PM
Do you have a 26 spline input shaft?
I haven't heard of those breaking.

P Machy
09-03-06, 08:22 PM
I will if I snap the Termee's one. I shouldn't, but who knows.

Mach1's TR3650 only come in 10 splines. Snapped 2 of them, but one held for about 600 runs and the last one held for 400 runs...before It snapped when I got into 3rd gear both times.

Is your track usually super glued? Famoso is pretty dang glued and I did have a problem bogging last time I was out there with the Termee. Even 5000 rpm launch couldn't hold the disc from slipping on the flywheel.

Venomous Bite
09-03-06, 08:53 PM
I have a Fidanza in my Cobra, however I have not taken it to the track sense I put it on.

BurnTire
09-03-06, 08:54 PM
I have a Fidanza in my Cobra, however I have not taken it to the track sense I put it on.

Steel or Aluminum?

Venomous Bite
09-03-06, 08:55 PM
Aluminum

Ratt Fink
09-06-06, 09:34 PM
I like the steel, because it does add that little extra inertia. And, it really don't cause the engine to rev any slower, IMO. Also, if you go with big power and a good clutch, and use some sticky tarzz, the chances are much lower that the steel flywheel would come apart, vs the aluminum. Of course, I have the McLeod steel bellhousing for extra protection, and have the liberty 26 spline input in the T56.

BurnTire
09-06-06, 09:38 PM
I like the steel, because it does add that little extra inertia. And, it really don't cause the engine to rev any slower, IMO. Also, if you go with big power and a good clutch, and use some sticky tarzz, the chances are much lower that the steel flywheel would come apart, vs the aluminum. Of course, I have the McLeod steel bellhousing for extra protection, and have the liberty 26 spline input in the T56.

Did you have to cut the engine plate for the McLeod install?

Ratt Fink
09-06-06, 10:18 PM
Did you have to cut the engine plate for the McLeod install?

Yep. But, I had one of the early McLeod housings that required a good bit of cutting... bought it from another guy who gave up on trying to make it fit the Cobra. Wasn't anything a little 4" angle grinder with a cutooff wheel couldn't handle !!