PDA

View Full Version : 91st and Northern

Pendulum
10-26-09, 10:10 AM
Hey guys/gals, I'm from AZHT, and would like to attempt to clear the air on this whole trash issue at your 91st/Northern meet.

First off, thanks for allowing everyone to be there. Secondly, I can assure you that blaming everyone who's under 25 and/or drives a Honda is not the way to go about this.

I've yet to make it out to this meet, since I'm in Mesa but I can assure you that I personally don't leave trash anywhere. Not at a meet, not at my home, not on the side of the road, and 99.9% of my friends don't because anyone I see littering gets an earful.

The reason I decided to come on here was because yesterday, we had our annual AZHT Sedona Run. We meet at a shopping center in N. Phoenix, and all drive to Sedona from there. Because of the sheer size of the group yesterday, we were asked to leave the City of Sedona because we didn't have permits for a group that large :( So we headed to Cottonwood. That's 3 parking lots, in 3 cities, with over 250 cars in Sedona (N. Phoenix and Cottonwood were much smaller) and I didn't see any significant trash being left at any of those 3 places. I saw 1 AZ Iced Tea can as we left the N. Phoenix lot, which could have been there before but I'll go ahead and say it was probably an AZHT-related person. In Sedona, I saw no trash anywhere. In Cottonwood, it was the same. Even though the only trash can was clear across the lot, we all walked to it or put the trash in our cars.

Basically, what I'm saying is that maybe everyone should keep an eye on each group to identify the litterers. Make things more official, and organized if neccesary. Several of our members have offered great suggestions over at http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=107969

Thanks.

hpmotzd
10-30-09, 01:19 PM
Thanks for your post. Unfortunately, I wish I was able to say that you are the rule rather than the exception. Over the past 2 years of doing this show every week, its been easy to identify where the issues are coming from. We try not to lump everyone in the same group, but unfortunately some responsible people get caught in the crossfire.
Most of the imports dont show up until we are packing up to leave for the night. before we leave, we pick up all the trash in the lot and make sure everything is clean. by saturday morning the back area where the import guys gather looks like the Glendale dump. Its amazing to me to see where someone has eaten a meal and just thrown the trash on the ground.

We have tried leaving trash cans out there for them to use, but instead they got stolen and the trash went on the ground again. We tried leaving boxes with trash bags in them and those got stolen also. I have no idea who stole the trash cans, but i DO know where the trash is coming from.

It wont be long before we get stopped from doing our friday night show there by the property management because of the issues we have had. Not just from trash, but also from people deciding to use the lot as a drifting course after we leave. We do have parents with kids out there and one day we will have a major accident.

Fortunately, the Peoria police know what is happening and have been trying to help us gain control over the import situation so we can keep this thing going, but of course, they have better things to do also.

Having said all that, I have made signs banning all imports from the show both during AND after we leave before someone either gets run over or we get removed because of the trash. I was asked not to do that yet and give some time for them to resolve the issue on their own. Its been a few weeks now and nothing has changed and i refuse to be anyones mother and pick up after them every weekend any longer.

I have gone out and told them that they are by all means welcome to come out DURING the show and be a part of it, get involved and have a good time. Unfortunately, none of them seem interested and once again, the few will ruin it for the many.

Rev'n Kevin
10-31-09, 12:27 AM
Thanks Pendulum, I went to your link for that thread at azht, and your right, there were some VERY good suggestions, there were 2 that really stood out and I believe our club should consider them, but we have a small club and thus a lack of man-power to enforce them at this time.

Hopefully things will get worked out and the problem will be solved by other means than shutting down this great west-side cruise-in or closing it to the imports.

One thing that bothers me though, is the use of this lot by the imports on saturday nights, as this is being done without authorization of the property owners and is not connected in any way, shape or form with our friday night cruise-in. If this continues, there could be some dire consequences both for those doing it, such as being cited for trespass, and for us, with the total loss of use of this location for the friday cruise-in.

My good friend and fellow club brother, Hpmotzd, has put a lot of heart and soul into making this thing happen, and the improvements he has made over the past 2 years is something that he is, and should be proud of. I encourage you and anyone that attends this to take it upon yourselves, that if you see someone with litter around their vehicle, ask them to pick it up, or write down the plate number and what kind of car and give it to one us at the DJ booth, this at least could help to single out who the REAL problem is.