Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: E85 tuning

I never said it can't absorbed water, but this is being blown way out of proportion. Do you know how much the absorption rate is reduced when mixed with gasoline,are you aware that all E85 in the US has anti corrosion inhibitors? I have seen water more than my fair share of times in avgas. Just about every type of fuel can absorbed moisture. If you are happy buying $11 a gallon race gas so be it. I personally am sick of it. I will only buy race gas in a sealed pail. I will never ever buy it again from someone pumping it from a barrel.

I am switching to E85. I will have a tester that can measure the mix ratio so I am on top the blend info. I am aware of what cautions I must take when running corn.
    Sold
    2004 Cobra, Whipple ,TH-400
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Silver Award 
    That makes two of us who won't buy from an unsealed drum.

I know you deal with water contamination given Aviation gas. I remember the couple times I got to pilot a single engine plane when I was younger when I was considering getting my pilots license. I remember pulling a bit of fuel off the plane's wing and making sure that the fuel wasn't contaminated. (Or so I remember being told that's why we did that. Years ago, I could be wrong. Not gonna look it up). I don't care what they add to the fuel to help reduce its ability to pick up water, it still will. Removing water from substances that are miscible in it isn't always as easily done as it can be said. Or at least that's my personal experience. I've seen ethanol concentration drop as much as 15% in the lab based on results of gas chromatography. I will admit that this is lab grade pure Ethanol that was diluted with ddH20 and it may more readily absorb water due to its purity.

Quote Originally Posted by BurnTire View Post
    I am switching to E85. I will have a tester that can measure the mix ratio so I am on top the blend info. I am aware of what cautions I must take when running corn.
    While you may be aware of them, fact is that most people who want to convert their performance vehicles over do not. If you approach it right, I don't have a problem with E85 in a performance application that sees primarily track time. But a daily driven performance car I just personally don't like the idea.
    ~Andrew

I did much research on E85 and got a bunch of good info from someone that works in the E85 industry. Moisture absorption issues are few and far between. The primary problem is incorrectly tuned vehicles. Tuning on the winter blend then going lean on the summer stuff. Boom.
    Sold
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Look for about a 10% gain over regular gas. What size injectors does he have in the car?
    he has 60lbs injectors ...the car was going lean so it was not safe ...
    he made 550hp @19psi on 91 oct.......

03 motor w/stage 3 cams ,JLT c.a.i,BBK o/r X pipe,Tri-Ax,C.C U/L flywheel ,
    Competition Clutch, I.R.S 31 spline w/4:10's,SCT tuner,Eibach sport line,tokico, .....

NEW set up
    S/C 17psi 462HP 505TQ....

11.76@116 1.63 60ft.

Quote Originally Posted by az2k1 View Post
    he has 60lbs injectors ...the car was going lean so it was not safe ...
    he made 550hp @19psi on 91 oct.......
    He will need 80's and a bump to (50PSI on the delta pressure). What does he have fuel pump wise?
    Sold
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Silver Award 
    OK, you guys have sold me, I'm going propane

Quote Originally Posted by Rev'n Kevin View Post
    OK, you guys have sold me, I'm going propane
    Ahh yes an ingredient of Nitromethane.
    Sold
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

He will need 80's and a bump to (50PSI on the delta pressure). What does he have fuel pump wise?
    yeah he's going 80's and single pump .....should be done hopefully in by the new year so that the tune can retune .........

03 motor w/stage 3 cams ,JLT c.a.i,BBK o/r X pipe,Tri-Ax,C.C U/L flywheel ,
    Competition Clutch, I.R.S 31 spline w/4:10's,SCT tuner,Eibach sport line,tokico, .....

NEW set up
    S/C 17psi 462HP 505TQ....

11.76@116 1.63 60ft.

Quote Originally Posted by az2k1 View Post
    yeah he's going 80's and single pump .....should be done hopefully in by the new year so that the tune can retune .........
    Single pump return system?
    Sold
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

LOL. Give it a break Bill.
    There are many sub 10 second cars using the pumps stuff.
    I hope the flex fuel vehicle I own doesn't blow up anytime soon after the thousands of miles I have driven it on E85. I bet it has a few gallons of water in the tank because the "real man of genius" read about it on google.
    Jeff
    You can stop with your stupid insults.
    I've set up and tuned 7 or 8 race cars on E85 that are a lot quicker than your car. I know what I'm talking about.
    I'm making people aware of the hazards of E85, especially when it comes a high horsepower supercharged or turbocharged vehicles.
    The examples you gave with water in avgas and diesel have no bearing on this topic. Diesel and avgas are not hygroscopic fuels. Water separates form those fuels. Put a cup of water in seperate clear containers of E85, avgas and diesel. You will see the water settle to the bottom. Over a set period of time the water in the E85 container will be ABSORBED, while you will still be able to see the water in the other containers.

All my intent in this thread is to make sure the people that are going to push the limit in their power adder cars know that their BEST OPTION is to obtain their E85 by the drum for the absolute best consistency AND safety.

PS........ I've owned (my company) 16 flex fuel Taurus and 3 Rangers
    WILD BILL
    PRO-AMERICAN

TorchRed 2003 MACH1 (Louise)
    "I remember my fallen brothers so that they may live on."
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ