Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tap or Distilled H2O for Coolant?

Tap or Distilled H2O for Coolant?

I'm about to do a coolant flush and am not sure if I should use distilled water or tap water to both clean out the system and to use for the 50/50 mix. Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

Platinum Award 
    I always use distilled water.
    JENNABEARS Foundation
    www.jennabearsfoundation.org

That's what I was leaning towards, thanks!

I just came across this site and though it was pretty helpful...
    http://www.mikefordmustang.com/write...on-mustang.php

If your just flushing then you can you tap. It wont hurt anything. If you running it with distilled for a while the tap water will build up calcium and other junk do to all the minerals. This happens more so in the aluminum radiators due so their texture. Flushing you can use a garden hose wont hurt anything. Running in the radiator? Defiantly use distilled. Hope that helps.

60/40 water/anti with redline water wetter. Make sure all the air gets burped out of the system after filling.

I found out last year why to use DI. I went to do a simple intake swap and found out that some of the bolts that hold the lower to the head, end in the coolant channel. If RTV or a sealant is not properly used(or has worn out) and tap water is used, those screws will rust from the bottom up. The first bolt I went to take out of the lower snapped as soon as I pushed on it. It was such a rusty corroded mess that after $120 in different back-out-bits I ended up buying new heads.

I ended up using distilled for the entire flush and refill... Next time I am going to take a hose slowly filling the radiator with the engine running, and draining it at the same time, then rinse it with distilled a few times. Sounds much easier than what I did (Completely filled, then ran the engine, then drained with distilled, about 7 times). It would appear this method is safe to use?

Not to bad for the first Radiator flush I've done, though. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by ZachFr View Post
    I ended up using distilled for the entire flush and refill... Next time I am going to take a hose slowly filling the radiator with the engine running, and draining it at the same time, then rinse it with distilled a few times. Sounds much easier than what I did (Completely filled, then ran the engine, then drained with distilled, about 7 times). It would appear this method is safe to use?

Not to bad for the first Radiator flush I've done, though. Haha.
    It is always good to run the heater on full blast when filling to ensure you get flow through the heater core.

To get a true flush you would need a shop with a flush machine, but I never had a shop flush on any high mile car I have owned. I would just change it like you did.
    Sold
    2004 Cobra, Whipple ,TH-400
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

I have allways been a believer in using distilled water in the cooling system, and battery. The water around Phoenix is very allkline, and a lot of clorine is used by some muncipalities during the summer months. I figure that distilled water is cheap insurance at the least.

Quote Originally Posted by BurnTire View Post
    It is always good to run the heater on full blast when filling to ensure you get flow through the heater core.
    Didn't think to do that... Will do next time though. But even so, definitely a step up from what was in there before lol. It was gettin' dirty.