Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tap or Distilled H2O for Coolant?

Silver Award 
    For what it's worth I typically flush everything with the hose containing an inline filter and then fill it with 60/40 mixture of distilled water/coolant and then top her off with a bottle of water wetter.

I got lazy this summer and didn't flush mine like I said I was going to... pretty sad as I've already got the distilled water, a bottle of water wetter, and two bottles of Motorcraft Gold all ready to go. Maybe I should actually do this sometime soon now that you've reminded me.
    ~Andrew

Platinum Award 
    I buy the 50/50 mix and dont really know what kind of water they mix it with from the distributor so I hope they use the right kind of water...
    "The choices we make, dictates the lives we lead"

Quote Originally Posted by IMSHAKN View Post
    For what it's worth I typically flush everything with the hose containing an inline filter and then fill it with 60/40 mixture of distilled water/coolant and then top her off with a bottle of water wetter.

I got lazy this summer and didn't flush mine like I said I was going to... pretty sad as I've already got the distilled water, a bottle of water wetter, and two bottles of Motorcraft Gold all ready to go. Maybe I should actually do this sometime soon now that you've reminded me.
    Filter on the hose? Not a bad idea. And you're welcome, better get on that

Quote Originally Posted by Jacostang View Post
    I buy the 50/50 mix and dont really know what kind of water they mix it with from the distributor so I hope they use the right kind of water...
    I'd hope they do. I read somewhere the coolant is made for tap, but I just didn't feel comfortable using it. I got the straight coolant for buy (1) get (1) free @ wally w/ mail in rebate, so definitely cheaper than going for the 50/50.

It's always better to use distilled water since the minerals in the hard water here can decrease the effectiveness and shorten the life of the coolant additives that inhibit corrosion in the engine coolant passages, water pump and radiator.