Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intake Gone

Intake Gone

I realize there's another thread about this, but it's several years old so I figured I'd start a new one and see if I can get more recent information.

About a week ago I noticed a very small coolant leak coming right from the upper radiator hose, so I ordered all new pipes and brackets.

Today I was getting on the freeway and gave it some gas and smelled some bad burning... pulled over and coolant had sprayed EVERYWHERE and was burning off the engine. There was probably 1/3 -1/2 gal of radiator coolant pooled in the valley of the engine.

I was quoted $800 for an updated intake kit from Ford, $1,100 total with install. It's a little pricey in my opinion... Has anyone else gone through this? What did you do?

Also, it's a 2003 GT n/a with 62,500 miles.
    http://www.americanmuscle.com/typhoo...-polished.html
    http://www.americanmuscle.com/intake-manifold.html

Edit: What I was told is the manifold is cracked and is leaking through the gaskets. The mechanic I took it too said that it's common on Mustangs with the composite plastic intake manifolds. Upon inspecting it myself, it heavily leaks fluid from the two boxed portions of the photo, and I'm not sure where it is cracked.

Thanks for any help
    Last edited by ZachFr; 12-12-09 at 07:37 PM.

I would just get the Ford Racing One. Better on your wallet and you could install it yourself. I can lend a hand if you need.
    Sold
    2004 Cobra, Whipple ,TH-400
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Here are some pictures.

Boxed part is the where most of the leaking is occuring. It is leaking through the gaskets.

It's been pouring down the engine block...

This is the boxed portion on the right of the engine.

Boxed portion on the left side of the photo.
    Last edited by ZachFr; 12-12-09 at 07:26 PM.

Inside the engine valley. The mechanic was nice enough to removed the 1/2 gal of coolant pooled inside there for me...

Wow strange how that sprung up shortly after changing coolant. I don't recall having to add much over 60K.
    Sold
    2004 Cobra, Whipple ,TH-400
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Yeah, wierd coincidence, I guess. Nothing was touched except for the drain valve and the fill hole during the flush, and the mechanic said the problem is independant from the flush.

This is the other post that I came across.
    http://www.highperformancestangs.com...ead.php?t=4822

that blows dude...I know a guy offloading PI aluminum crossover intakes for 120 bucks...a lot cheaper than what you were quoted.

I cracked my non-aluminum crossover intake in germany a few months back. I paid 200 for a new one shipped plus 70 EURO for gaskets.

Simple hand tools and a torque wrench I was done in about 5 hours.

Edit: when I replaced everything I noticed that the coolant corroded some of the metal around the coolant opening. I smoothed it out with some emory cloth but that could be a problem as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanger00 View Post
    that blows dude...I know a guy offloading PI aluminum crossover intakes for 120 bucks...a lot cheaper than what you were quoted.

I cracked my non-aluminum crossover intake in germany a few months back. I paid 200 for a new one shipped plus 70 EURO for gaskets.

Simple hand tools and a torque wrench I was done in about 5 hours.

Edit: when I replaced everything I noticed that the coolant corroded some of the metal around the coolant opening. I smoothed it out with some emory cloth but that could be a problem as well.
    Yeah, no fun..
    Do you know how much he's asking for it?

120...I dont know this person on a personal basis but they are listed on a forum.

I seen on craigslist a few 99+ cars at the mustang pick and pull place. may get lucky and find one there.

The PI intake from ford is like 200-250...I can get one for about 10% off since im military.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanger00 View Post
    120...I dont know this person on a personal basis but they are listed on a forum.

I seen on craigslist a few 99+ cars at the mustang pick and pull place. may get lucky and find one there.

The PI intake from ford is like 200-250...I can get one for about 10% off since im military.
    Woops my bad, I completely skipped over the price in your first post, I was just on my comp for a second.

I'll take a look on craigslist.. But I will probably just end up going with the Ford Racing one brand new for $189.99 on American Muscle. Hopefully I will not get into the same shit, haha...