Thread: Clutch question

Clutch question

2003 GT, 5 speed with 23,000 miles. Over the last couple of days I have felt a slight vibration or knocking under the floor board at the pedals. I thought my H pipe might need to be tightened so I crawled under the car and checked it out. Everything was ok so I started looking around for any suspension stuff and all of that looked ok also. When I got home this morning and pulled into the garage I noticed a grinding noise, but when I pushed the clutch in it went away. If I release the clutch the noise comes back and you hear a slight click. Could the clutch being going bad already with only 23,000 miles? I don't drive it that hard, but I am afraid the previous owner may have. Any help would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by scooter3 View Post
    2003 GT, 5 speed with 23,000 miles. Over the last couple of days I have felt a slight vibration or knocking under the floor board at the pedals. I thought my H pipe might need to be tightened so I crawled under the car and checked it out. Everything was ok so I started looking around for any suspension stuff and all of that looked ok also. When I got home this morning and pulled into the garage I noticed a grinding noise, but when I pushed the clutch in it went away. If I release the clutch the noise comes back and you hear a slight click. Could the clutch being going bad already with only 23,000 miles? I don't drive it that hard, but I am afraid the previous owner may have. Any help would be great.
    The clutch cable may need to be adjusted or replaced.
    http://wildwestmustangsaz.com/gallery/albums/userpics/EVIL SIG.jpg

Throwout bearing.
    2012 Race Red GT w/ a 5 Liter and a 6 speed
    2010 Dodge Challenger R/T traded in.
    '03 DBS Cobra .... Traded in, THANK GOD
    '01 Ford Lightning.... Sold, sorely missed

Platinum Award 
    Quote Originally Posted by ASUSMC View Post
    Throwout bearing.
    JENNABEARS Foundation
    www.jennabearsfoundation.org

The throwout bearing should not be spinning when the clutch pedal is released. Spinning all the time = premature bearing failure.
    Sold
    2004 Cobra, Whipple ,TH-400
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Going through that right now actually. Dropped the tranny out of my car yesterday and my TOB was in quite a few pieces. It had siezed itself to the output shaft
    2012 Race Red GT w/ a 5 Liter and a 6 speed
    2010 Dodge Challenger R/T traded in.
    '03 DBS Cobra .... Traded in, THANK GOD
    '01 Ford Lightning.... Sold, sorely missed

Thanks for the replies. I will let it ride for now until I can find a shop that won't take me to the cleaners since I don't have the tools or knowledge to drop the tranny and check it out for myself.