Thread: A future regret?

A future regret?

So this Saturday, I am going to re-enlist with the army for 3 more years making 9 total. Am I going to regret this? Will I be signing my death certificate if we end up invading Iran? Who knows, but I don't really have a choice. If I get out of active guard, I still have 2 years of In-active duty in which ANY unit in the nation can call upon me if they are short of soldiers for a deployment. I can't just very well walk away from my brothers that I have served with overseas either. BUT, I am so very tired of the beurocracy and internal politics of my unit and the army in general. These last three years that I am going to serve are going to enjoyable come hell or high water. I am not going to worry about anything but getting the mission accomplished and having fun doing it. I don't care about promotions, retention, or retirement and Im defineately not going to stress about it. Whatever happens, happens from here on out. 2009 here I come.

Sorry, bout this thread, but its something I felt like writing about and to get it off my chest. Got to get up in 6 hours so I can do this.

As long as my PT test goes smooth and if they can get an officer out there to swear me in, doing this in a timely manner, I will be at the Pavillions when Im done.

If we all had a crystal ball we would know the future.
    I hope you enjoy your last 3 years.
    I appreciate all that serve this country.

Quote Originally Posted by vicious781 View Post
    So this Saturday, I am going to re-enlist with the army for 3 more years making 9 total. Am I going to regret this? Will I be signing my death certificate if we end up invading Iran? Who knows, but I don't really have a choice. If I get out of active guard, I still have 2 years of In-active duty in which ANY unit in the nation can call upon me if they are short of soldiers for a deployment. I can't just very well walk away from my brothers that I have served with overseas either. BUT, I am so very tired of the beurocracy and internal politics of my unit and the army in general. These last three years that I am going to serve are going to enjoyable come hell or high water. I am not going to worry about anything but getting the mission accomplished and having fun doing it. I don't care about promotions, retention, or retirement and Im defineately not going to stress about it. Whatever happens, happens from here on out. 2009 here I come.

Sorry, bout this thread, but its something I felt like writing about and to get it off my chest. Got to get up in 6 hours so I can do this.

As long as my PT test goes smooth and if they can get an officer out there to swear me in, doing this in a timely manner, I will be at the Pavillions when Im done.
    Sold
    2004 Cobra, Whipple ,TH-400
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Man...tuff spot ur in.

Not that the policites are bad enough internally, but the job in the field it self is already bad to be in...so two strikes against it. Not sure how you can enjoy going to overseas in tense situations.

Did you not find a spot locally in ur daily routine to keep mainting it?

Just as police officers are only welcome in the time of need and soldiers are our heros when called on, I just find that ur duties dont go all that noticed or appreciated by the mass.

Regrets is one side of a story that you can tell.

You make some good points about the Ready Reserve status. What's your current MOS? Perhaps you can re-up with a new one. It might mean going through some more AIT, but it could get you out of a unit with bad management and give you a fresh outlook on things.

Platinum Award 
    I would not worry about death of any kind, when its your time its your time doesn't matter where you are, crossing the street, lighting your gas grill you know..... "The choices we make, dictate the lives we lead"!!!!

HOOO RAHHH!!

Good Luck!!!!

Gold Award 
    some hard decisions to make. but really, i most certainly apprecaite what all the soldiers do towards serving our country.

Tuned By PSR TUNING
    11.07 @ 127.93
    My Autolog Profile

Gold Award 
    why re-up if you dont care about promotions or you career? i got out after 6 years but i always was gunning for the next strip just in case. i made e-6 in under 5 years and i would be a e-7 right now no prob. but i was tired of all the officers and their ass kissing as well as weak NCOs w/o a backbone. maybe thats why i would always ruffle their feathers but there wasnt a damn thing they could do cause i was on top of my shit.

if you do re-up think about your career and your future. i was afraid to get over that hump where you cant turn around. set your self up for success. be smart and youll make it through anything. ive been in combat 3 times and i always was aware of what was happening around me.

hopefulley we wont have to mess with Iran or any other country. good luck in whatever you do, i appreciate your service.

Quote Originally Posted by P Machy View Post
    Man...tuff spot ur in.

Not that the policites are bad enough internally, but the job in the field it self is already bad to be in...so two strikes against it. Not sure how you can enjoy going to overseas in tense situations.

Did you not find a spot locally in ur daily routine to keep mainting it?

Just as police officers are only welcome in the time of need and soldiers are our heros when called on, I just find that ur duties dont go all that noticed or appreciated by the mass.

Regrets is one side of a story that you can tell.

I am a 13B, for those who don't know thats Field Artillery, 155mm Cannon capable of puting a round about 21 miles downrange acurately. However, when we got deployed, we went over as Military Police but unfortunately we weren't able to keep that as a secondary MOS. Honestly I didn't 'enjoy' going over there, but I did learn much and enjoy how the experiance has changed me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucafu1 View Post
    why re-up if you dont care about promotions or you career? i got out after 6 years but i always was gunning for the next strip just in case. i made e-6 in under 5 years and i would be a e-7 right now no prob. but i was tired of all the officers and their ass kissing as well as weak NCOs w/o a backbone. maybe thats why i would always ruffle their feathers but there wasnt a damn thing they could do cause i was on top of my shit.

if you do re-up think about your career and your future. i was afraid to get over that hump where you cant turn around. set your self up for success. be smart and youll make it through anything. ive been in combat 3 times and i always was aware of what was happening around me.

hopefulley we wont have to mess with Iran or any other country. good luck in whatever you do, i appreciate your service.
    Making E-5 in my unit is tough because there are soooo many soldiers that have been active duty E-4's for decades and they get it cause I can't make up the difference in points from the board. Plus I don't have that much college either. I boarded last year while I was over, but lost to two soldiers with much more experiance than I. I have been in numerous E-5 positions the last couple years but apparently that doesn't make a difference. Like I said, internal politics.
    The reason why I am not going to worry about promotion or retirement is because Im not going to make a career out of this. Yeah, when I leave by that time I will have served for 9 years which is a lot to leave behind, but I wont regret it.
    I finished my PT test this morning, but my retention NCO had to leave to take the 5 Tons to some parade or something, so I have to sign the paperwork this next coming drill. There are already rumors that the Infantry batalion here in AZ want to attach a Field Artillery unit to it on there upcoming deployment into Afganistan in 2007. Not much I can do about that, like I said, whatever happens, happens. I got to own my dream car, im satisfied with my life...lol

all i can say is thanks, and good luck !