Thread: '73 Sportsroof

'73 Sportsroof

So I started working on my '73 Sportsroof that I bought a few years ago. Its all original with about 79,000 miles. The original owner said she stopped driving it but she would start it and run it around the block sometimes. she did this for about 6 years untill the battery dies then she stopped and parked it. I took off the valve covers to look inside and found that she never changed the oil. Everything was sludged up. I took off the intake and found that this engine was equipped with special push rods that go around obstructions. I guess I have more work to do.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

No wonder she quit driving it. LOL
    Sold
    2004 Cobra, Whipple ,TH-400
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Ok I got the heads down to the machine shop. The owner took one look at the heads and said that my problem was caused by old gas. You can see this in the photo the intake runners are all glazed over. When I got the car there was no gas in the tank but there must have been some old varnished residue. So when I put in the fresh gas it broke down the residue. Thats why I was able to start and drive the car a few times. So now I will see how much was damaged as I wait for a call from the machine shop. If all goes well I will be replacing all my fuel lines, cleaning or replacing my gas tank, replacing my fuel pump again and rebuilding my carb again.

Wow those are really interesting. Out of curiosity those were hydraulic lifters right? not solid?

Yup they are hydraulic lifters.

Some one had some fun. I thought mine were bad when i did mine. There were a few bent but not dodging the lifter.