Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear end issues/questions

Rear end issues/questions

Hey guys quick question for you guys. I have recently had a noise start to come from my rear end. It sounds like a metal to metal grinding, and it sends a vibration through my car. Its only when i make a tight right turn though, i can take right turns up to about 6mph without any noise but anything faster, while around a tight corner it will make this sound. I can take the 60 to 101 south right hand curve with no noise, so slight curves no noise, tight turns noise, but only right turns. Friend told me a wheel bearing but i want to see what you guys think?

Please any ideas would be great

Check your wheel bearings and brake calipers if the bearing has a bunch of play you could be hearing bearing/brake noise. Check to see if you can pull the axle in and out (indication of c-clip failure). Could also be differential related
    Sold
    2004 Cobra, Whipple ,TH-400
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Ok thanks, I will check the brake calipers as well, but i dont believe thats what it is because its not that kind of grinding, its more of a gears grinding sort of sound. Which tends to lead me to believe wheel bearing. If wheel bearings are good what are we talking about in the diff...gears, locker? etc.

Thanks for the advice

If it is a stock trac loc it could be the spider gears.
    Quote Originally Posted by 99WhiteGT View Post
    Ok thanks, I will check the brake calipers as well, but i dont believe thats what it is because its not that kind of grinding, its more of a gears grinding sort of sound. Which tends to lead me to believe wheel bearing. If wheel bearings are good what are we talking about in the diff...gears, locker? etc.

Thanks for the advice
    Sold
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Its an aftermarket trac loc, so i picked up the wheel bearing and seal today. I'm going to pull apart the rear end this week sometime, does anyone have recommendation on gear oil, i usually run royal purple 75w140, but i was talking to a buddy of mine and he said not to run that shit.

Amsoil is what I use.
    Sold
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Buckeye, Arizona, United States, 107758105920000, Buckeye, Arizona
    Just a curiousity question...is there any fluid in the axle now? How many miles on the setup?

Yea, I have not had a chance to take it apart yet because of work so it still has royal purple 75w140 in it, That was the first thing i checked. I had to get an oil change anyway so instead of doing it myself I took it to somewhere and had them check the level. On the trac loc, about 30k, on the RP, I think about 7k. Why? Were you just thinking it was low or out of fluid?

Buckeye, Arizona, United States, 107758105920000, Buckeye, Arizona
    Thats what it kinda sounds like. It sounds like something ate itself up. I haven't ran across issues with a diff making noise on a right turn only but that would indicate something wrong...really wrong. I use Valvoline synthetic in my 9" but I have a spool so no isuues there. I'm not familiar with Royal Purple so I can't say how good or bad it is. I'd be curious to know what it is.

Well I'm tearing apart my rear end on sunday so i will let you guys know what I find. If i can find my camera I will throw up some pics to. I went over to AMP today because it's about two miles from my work and the guy there told me wheel bearing as well. He said if only one was going bad then that would be why it was only around a right turn. If its anything to do with the trac loc I'm just going to due new track loc and 31 splines at PSR.