Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kenne Bell tunes GOOD or BAD ?????

Kenne Bell tunes GOOD or BAD ?????

1996 GT (sold)
    1997 Cobra:D
    Want an 03/04 Cobra:love:

Born:5/23/97, Build # 5722 of 6961 Builds

Get a custom tune.

I guess i should have posted the article i am referring on custom tunes. I have a different outlook on custom tunes after this article, and had no idea that maf could handle adjusting minor mods as they claim. They are saying headers, mild cams, x pipe, cai not all at the same time but as individual mods the maf will adjust a/f.

http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/ge...er_ReTuned.pdf
    1996 GT (sold)

There is no way to know if a tune is safe unless you can datalog all parameters including air fuel. You do not want adaptive learning on (computer controlled adjustments) under WOT.
    Sold
    2004 Cobra, Whipple ,TH-400
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

As far as being safe that can be done with pulls on the dyno with wideband, but “local custom tuners” do not get into parameter like the manufacture of the product, they can’t afford the high dollar equipment, they are working off a $35 wideband sensor for a Volvo. They can’t afford the OEM air/fuel monitoring equipment, high speed mass storage data logging, high dollar scan tools not to mention they probably have just one dyno. They are tweaking someone else’s tune, if they were to truly tune do you think they could tune your car in a few dyno pulls. I consider them to be “custom tweakers” that tweak your pocket more than your car. It takes longer to tune a car which is testing and recalibrating over a hundred of parameters than they can do in three dyno pulls. Check this article and see if you feel the same way about your “custom tweaker”.

http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/ge...er_ReTuned.pdf
    1996 GT (sold)

If you want to get a mail order tune go for it.
    I have a custom Burntire tune in my car. My car is built, tuned, and driven by me.
    SCT Advantage software comes with the stock tune for all vehicles are used in their tuning software. That is your starting point. Then you work into all the mods for the car.

The datalogging abilities of todays computers is far faster than anything an automotive PCM can throw at them.

Again get your mail order tune. Plug it into the car and hope for the best.
    There is no way to determine how your car is reacting to the tune without datalogging.

There is no way to calibrate your MAF Transfer curve without datalogging.

How many 9 and 10 second 03/04 Cobras do you think are running tunes without being datalogged or on the dyno?
    Sold
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

That’s great burntire, I am glad you know what you are doing. If you build every tune for every one of your customers from scratch with every parameter that goes into doing a custom tuning you are doing it right. I am saying that every time some one puts a set of long tube headers or cai, or even mild cams they don’t need to run out and spend money on a custom tune. The MAF meter will recalibrate that minor adjustment. When someone like KB a manufacture that designs, R&D’s there product and spends $100000 of dollars on getting it right that a custom tuner can ring out one or two more hp or torque than for that matter than the person that built and designed the supercharger. I would not call it a mail order tune if I give my mods to them and they give me a tune or burn a chip canned tune, they are trying to keep unscrupulious tuners from ripping off there tunes and caliming the for there own so they can tweak it and call it there own.. They build tunes from scratch with far better metering devices that most custom tune shops can not afford. There databases are far more advance than your run of the mill “custom tune” shop. By the way how long does it take you to build your custom tune, how long and how many dyno pulls to get your car right. Is that the same amount of time you use to “custom tune” your customer’s cars? Just a thought. I think people don’t give the MAF enough credit for it doing is job. Peace.
    1996 GT (sold)

I am not in the business. I tune my own car only.
    Reading the Gospel of tuning from someone who wants your money is not a good practice.

Now time for some information. This data is based on a Forced Induction Vehicle.

A MAF meter does not auto correct for changes to the car. All a MAF does is sends a signal to the computer. The adaptive control function of the tune will make the changes.

When running in closed loop (idle, cruising around) the MAF and O2 sensors provide data to the PCM which is always trying to achieve a 14.64:1 A/F

When running in open loop (WOT, startup) data to the PCM is provided from the MAF only.

A stock 99-04 Mustang tune will take data from closed loop and apply adaptive corrections to Open Loop (Not a good idea when you mod the car). You need a custom tune for the changes especially in a forced induction application.

The stock Ford tune learns data from a few cells and applies it to the remainder of the cells. These cells are usually at the lower RPM's. So you make some changes to the car and the tune is now rich in the lower RPM range. The stock tunes adaptive control will pull fuel to achieve 14.64, but it will also pull fuel when in WOT (Not good on a supercharged car). BOOM!

I use SCT Advantage software to tune. I start with their base tune and eventually end up with the final tune after many pulls. If I make changes to the car I modify the current tune to handle the changes.

SCT has the ability to disable adaptive control for WOT tuning.

You want to tune the car for driveability and safety. You want to be able to cruise around fine and also transition to WOT and go to the red-line fine.

You do not want the car looking at low RPM closed loop and applying changes to WOT open loop (Boom). You want to tune the MAF Transfer Function for WOT with adaptive control off.

The Adaptive Control Learning Function does not Work in WOT. The car does not learning anything in WOT. There is no way for the MAF to make changes for cams, headers, etc in WOT.

You modern computer PC is much faster than an automotive PCM. The PC can datalog everything the car puts out.

A Ford narrow band O2 sensor is super slow and can not provide the accurate data like a wideband.
    Sold
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

1996 GT (sold)

I agree with almost everything you say but you are taking it to the extreme (14.64) 14.7
    14.64 is not being crazy. That is the stoich rating for standard gasoline, but I am sure you knew that already. You can ready about stoich ratings here, but it doesn't matter. I bet there is a magical tune that auto corrects for fuel type and quality with stock 02 sensors.
    http://www.highperformancestangs.com...Considerations

First you said the MAF will make changes and you don't need to retune. Wrong Wrong Wrong. The car does not learn anything and can not correct anything in Open Loop.

I was talking about the stock tunes to explain to you how the adaptive control works, but I am sure you have a through understanding now.

There is no point in listing all of them because you can do most of them with a handheld tuner anyway.
    Yea right. I would like to see you change injector slopes and pulse width, MAF type, adaptive fuel, base fuel, stoich rating, fuel pump voltage tables, MAF transfer function, correct tip detonation, tune out hesitation with a hand held. You can only change a few settings with a hand held. You can manipulate 1,000s with Advantage.

My tune has 67 major tuning categories changes compared to the stock tune. When you get into each individual table there are 100's of changes. Does that sound like tweaking to you?

Example 2 -97 Cobras both with a set of Kooks long tube headers, do you think that both of those car will take a different tune and make a difference.
    Hell Yea especially in a supercharged application. Do you realize that the position and location of the MAF effects the A/F? Do you realize that all MAF's are not calibrated exactly the same? Do you realize that injectors have variances in flow rates from car to car?

Do you realize that there is no magical tune that can auto correct for these variances?

Do some research on the MAF Transfer Function and report your findings.

Plugging in a chip or flash tune and not datalogging to check the tune is STUPID!!!!!!!!!
    Sold
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5