Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2004 Pontiac GTO!

Complete Front End over haul underway as well, including bushings tie rod ends, ball joints. Also will include 90/10s and new front springs.

Last edited by wrp; 04-25-11 at 09:18 PM.

New Valve Covers

Getting to be 1/4 mile time soon.

Really soon. Waiting on one more piece for the cogs, then the rollbar

Started on the remote water pump installation today. I am eliminating the tensioner on the passenger side and wonder if anyone might know of an aftermarket tensioner I can replace the fixed tensioner on the driver's side with?

Before

After, sorta

Thanks Lonestar :) Had a pretty good day today. Spent some time mocking up the remote water pump layout and trying to determine how to solve the tensioner issue.

For the layout, the battery goes to the trunk and we will mount the electric water pump on the frame rail where the battery tray was. The remote thermostat and filler neck will mount on a brace on the passenger side head. That lets me run all the hoses to the engine in from the passenger side and clears away any interference from the Power steering pump. The return from the pump goes into the radiator bottom mount while the return from the filler neck will be the longest run from the passenger side head mounted bracket back to the driver's side radiator fitting. All in all it will clean up nicely and keep the heat on the passenger side. Steve is going to mount the Moroso Power steering pump on the driver's side back near the master cylinder. At the end of the day we will have probably moved 50-60 lbs off the nost of the car to the trunk.

For the tensioner, the Whipple had an 8 rib tensioner for the serpentine belt. That tensioner was mounted on the front bracket and was used to achieve better belt wrap. It is already aligned with the accessory drive. We might have to trim the outer ribs off, it was a ten ribbed serpentine tensioner. Final bits coming from Moroso include the rear mount battery kit and cables and some black anodized fittings. We are just waiting for the tensioner spacer for the Cog tensioner now. Pictures is with everything mounted more or less except the cooling hoses.

Here is a view from a different angle. You can see the 10 rib Whipple Serpentine pulley. I am going to use that as a tensioner on the accessory belt. We are waiting on the fabrication of the spacer for the cog tensioner in the mock up it appears to not be stuck out enough..

Last edited by wrp; 04-23-11 at 09:42 PM.

These are the finished shots of the new ball joints and bushings to include new struts with Lovell's 90/10s.

Here is the final mock up with the mounting bracket for the remote thermostat in place. We may have to shim it all out a little more. Also instead of the NPT to 1.25 hose connection we will probably go with an 1" NPT to -12AN fitting.

Better view of the remote thermostat mounted.

Working on the battery relocate right now. I would have never guessed how interesting that could be. Here are some picts of the box install. Start wiring it next.

I also added a billet battery tray to the trunk to mount the remote coolant reservoir.

Got a little more done today. Began to test fit the -12AN fittings with the remote water pump. Have one issue I will heave to solve with the driver's side lower fitting. Solution may be to reroute the belt, the 90 degree -12AN swivel fittlng hits the belt on the traditional tension pully mount. Still waiting on 4 -12AN Fittings from Jegs. Also got the plugs for the back of the remote thermostat and the temperature sending unit opening.

One of the biggest projects was to weld the heat exchanger coolant reservoir to the XS Power battery tray. I think it looks pretty good and gives me a place to mount the tank flat and secure in the trunk. SNL is working with a new fabricator who does an excellent job.