Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Mustang for 2014

Eventhough the next Mustang will be smaller, lighter and greener, look for it to use the 5.0 as a top end option. Ford invested too much in the 5.0 to relegate it to just truck use. The development potential for the engine is huge, the possibilities of a 500 hp version in a more adgile car with IRS would be the future of the muscle/pony car. I just do not see Ford diminishing the Mustang image to conform to the Aisian typical cars, but more to European touring sedan types. I will be at the front of the line for one of them, bring it on FORD!

RACER00

Quote Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
    I'd rather deal with the real IRS (taxes) than deal with another IRS Mustang. Maybe my 10 year trend of buying a new Mustang every 2 years has only 1 cycle left...

I want the IRS gone, go Ron Paul!

I told the salesman at the dealer that I was coming back in two years for a Boss 302. And in 4 years for a GT500. I guess that won't happen now.

Smaller and lighter would be good in my book but I still lament the thought of another IRS car and refuse to ever own another one.

Unless of course they can design an IRS that is light, doesn't hop, and can withstand 6K clutch dumps at the track. I'll believe that when I see it.

Also, remember that like half (give or take) of the Mustangs produced are 6 cyl cars and whatever Ford does with the Mustang they still need to play in that lower dollar market.

Isn't there an old British racing adage that goes something like... "Light, cheap, strong. Pick two."
    2012 GT500 543/533 11.7@120
    1995 5.0 minute or two per lap

Quote Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post

Unless of course they can design an IRS that is light, doesn't hop, and can withstand 6K clutch dumps at the track. I'll believe that when I see it.
    Speaking of something similar, do those little FWD fart cans really get 300+ HP to go down the track without snapping axles every other run?

Isn't there an old British racing adage that goes something like... "Light, cheap, strong. Pick two."
    Probably. Because there is another one for craftsmanship: Quality, Service, Low price, pick two. That was part of my sales pitch when I was in the trades.

You have to start thinking outside the box, every performance sports car, every super car and touring car has IRS, i.e. Corvette, GTR, Bugatti etc. My fear is that FORD holds the V8 to some kind of overpriced version like the Shelby 500. Keep the 5.0 as the GT motor, make a ST with the eco-boost and the base 4 or 6 as the secretary car, Mustangs must remain obtainable. Ford has the ability to do this right, will they is the question or will they let the marketing guys decide how we get the next Mustang. As much as I like Mustangs, I will not pay more than $40K for one. Now Mustang is being out sold by the Camaro, and yet they raise the price on the 2013, what were they thinking. I know one thing, 4 wheel Brembo brakes are standard on the Camaro SS and front Brembos are a $ 1700 option on the GT, yet both cars have similar base prices, what's with that? Don't mess with the Mustang loyal, as you guys are saying, but change she is a commin.

RACER00

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Shopmier View Post
    Now Mustang is being out sold by the Camaro, and yet they raise the price on the 2013, what were they thinking.
    I haven't the slightest clue. Camaro doesn't have nearly as much customization as the Mustang. That and the fact that you can have a 400+ HP car for the baseline GT price of $30k is part of the reason I believe the Mustang has such a great following. I remember being about 13 (I'll be 26 next month) and daydreaming of owning a fox-body 5.0. I bought one a little while back, and when Ford announced the Mustang was getting her old 5.0 (I was deployed in 2011, so I missed the first year of it) I rushed out and bought my 2012 GT. Oh how I love my Mustangs!

Platinum Award 
    They're already showing/talking about the RS Focus,. 320 HP, a upgrade on the ST. Using a 2l 4 that will be a base motor for the new Mustang.But will debut as a 2015,so not to diminish the debut of the new Mustang.(Which the 10 year OLD Euro Focus RS had over 300+ HP and all wheel drive already. But Ford "Brains" refused to sell here)

ustang

The Camaro and the Mustang appeal to a different demographic. They could come out with a 4 cyl turbo front wheel drive hybrid with 750 hp for 10 grand that ran 9's out of the box and some of us still wouldn't buy it.

I'm not a marketing major but I still think there is a market for V8 RWD American made cars. I've bought 5 new Mustang V8's since 2002. If they go front wheel drive or 6 cyl or IRS count me out.
    2012 GT500 543/533 11.7@120
    1995 5.0 minute or two per lap

"BREAKING NEWS"

Autoweek and the Wall Street Journal quote a Ford insider saying that the new Mustang will use the EVOS as the deisgn theme (we kinda guessed that). They say that the retro look buyers are falling off (becoming geezers), based on Camaro out selling the Mustang. Ford is seeking a new and younger generation of car buyers. For us oldsters it looks like time to hold on to the current cars, to become classics long after we are six feet under. I think it is a right move for Ford, a new Mustang will freshen the marque and focus attention on all Mustangs going forward. The Mustang as to fit the market to survive.
    Last edited by Rick Shopmier; 04-16-12 at 11:44 AM. Reason: grammar error

RACER00

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Shopmier View Post
    The Mustang as to fit the market to survive.
    The Mustang is the only Muscle Car that hasn't went out of production. I think Ford should be happy with that fact. Why not leave it alone and bring back the Cougar for the evo design? 48 years of consecutive production is pretty impressive.